PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think there is much chance of a Caribbean cruise being cancelled at this stage. However, we don't know what will happen with the virus in coming months.

We have several booked for this year, and are not considering cancelling any of them. I would not go on a cruise to any Asian ports at this time.

The biggest issue in the Caribbean, same for now in south pacific is not the illness, but how the island governments will treat cruise ships in order to keep it away.  Have heard that at least 1 ships was denied a port call in the Caribbean (I think it is earlier this this stream).  In the south pacific I had a cruise booked that had 6 islands ports.  5 of the 6 have already announced that they are stopping cruise ship calls.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, chipmaster said:

The results were for 10 of 273 tested that had symptoms, so not 10 out of a couple thousand, but really 5% of those with symptoms had the virus, no conclusion.  It'll be interesting to see out of the other couple thousand how many will show symptoms and then test positive.

Almost the ideal experiment to evaluate transmission Ro, incubation and mortality.

Agreed, From a purely scientific perspective we will learn a lot about the virus from this quarantine. My prayers go out to all of those effected.

Are the new positive cases being removed from the ship does anyone know?

Finding hospital beds with appropriate facilities for these patients would be potentially challenging at short notice. Fortunately no reports that ICU beds are required but infection control would be mandatory.

Sad to see this on the Diamond Princess.   We were on the inaugural run of the Sapphire Princess (just a short trip to Canada) and the Diamond Princess sailed in formation with us for a few minutes, with passengers and crew waving to each other.   It was magical.    Hoping for a good recovery for everybody aboard.

International travel is going to be a mess for awhile, it is not so much the virus (although it is a serious issue) as the government's responses to it.   Lets all have patience with the employees of companies who are stuck in the middle of this through no fault of their own.   Thoughts and prayers to Wuhan and all other cities (and ships) affected.

• Like 1

I have a feeling the quarantine will be longer than 14 days. I think I read somewhere that the virus can survive on surfaces for 28 days.  

I agree, this ship quarantine is going to be a very valuable controlled scientific study of the virus.  Hopefully the virus stops spreading/appearing so they can all go home soon!

24 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I have a feeling the quarantine will be longer than 14 days. I think I read somewhere that the virus can survive on surfaces for 28 days.  

I agree, this ship quarantine is going to be a very valuable controlled scientific study of the virus.  Hopefully the virus stops spreading/appearing so they can all go home soon!

You may be right!  LA Times has reported that the number of virus cases has doubled from 10 to 20. 

I'm wondering how many of the sick, and presumably hospitalized on land have no travel medical insurance to cover their hospitalization.  One would think that under the circumstances these patients would not be charged for this.  Has there been any announcements on this from the government of Japan or by Princess?  Recovery from the illness is, of course, the most important thing right now, regardless of who pays. 

• Like 1

Sort of off topic but I received this from MedJet Assist:

Dear Medjet Member,

Please be aware that due to restrictions resulting from the Coronavirus, we regret that MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services must be suspended in the following countries:
  • China
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Macau
New information and increasing flight restrictions continue to be disseminated from the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. State Department. Due to this, Medjet services to additional countries may become restricted in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Sort of off topic but I received this from MedJet Assist:

Dear Medjet Member,

Please be aware that due to restrictions resulting from the Coronavirus, we regret that MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services must be suspended in the following countries:
  • China
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Macau
New information and increasing flight restrictions continue to be disseminated from the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. State Department. Due to this, Medjet services to additional countries may become restricted in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

WOW!!!!!!  Now that says something!

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think there is much chance of a Caribbean cruise being cancelled at this stage. However, we don't know what will happen with the virus in coming months.

We have several booked for this year, and are not considering cancelling any of them. I would not go on a cruise to any Asian ports at this time.

2 hours ago, npcl said:

The biggest issue in the Caribbean, same for now in south pacific is not the illness, but how the island governments will treat cruise ships in order to keep it away.  Have heard that at least 1 ships was denied a port call in the Caribbean (I think it is earlier this this stream).  In the south pacific I had a cruise booked that had 6 islands ports.  5 of the 6 have already announced that they are stopping cruise ship calls.

A very fluid situation; it changes constantly.  Two days ago, it was St. Lucia.  Now, Antigua as well.

foxbangor.com › national-news › st-lucia-turns-away-cruise-ship-due-...
St. Lucia turns away cruise ship due to coronavirus concerns ...
2 days ago - A cruise ship was turned away by Caribbean island
St. Lucia this weekend over coronavirus concerns. Read Full Article ...

buzz-caribbean.com › article › aidaperla-denied-entry-to-antigua-ami...
AIDAperla denied entry to Antigua amid coronavirus scare ...
1 day ago - The cruise ship AIDAperla was denied access to berth at St John's Harbour in
Antigua and Barbuda on Tuesday (Feb 4) amid coronavirus fears. ... Both St Lucia and Dominica said that passengers on the 3,300-capacity ...

1 hour ago, DrOfBytes said:

I'm wondering how many of the sick, and presumably hospitalized on land have no travel medical insurance to cover their hospitalization.  One would think that under the circumstances these patients would not be charged for this.  Has there been any announcements on this from the government of Japan or by Princess?  Recovery from the illness is, of course, the most important thing right now, regardless of who pays. 

I think you will find that the medical system works a bit differently in Japan from the way it works in the USA.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, npcl said:

Caribbean ports tend to be more populated and have better medical facilities than the small South Pacific ports. Places like Lifou, Mare, Isle of Pines, etc have tiny local populations are very basic medical facilities. Something like Coronavirus would not be able to be treated effectively which is why the local elders have banned cruise ships. Sensible, IMHO. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, Jim9310 said:

You may be right!  LA Times has reported that the number of virus cases has doubled from 10 to 20. 

I’m following someone on Twitter who said he, his wife & child are on the Diamond and he just posted a few minutes ago that there are indeed 10 new cases. 

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Caribbean ports tend to be more populated and have better medical facilities than the small South Pacific ports. Places like Lifou, Mare, Isle of Pines, etc have tiny local populations are very basic medical facilities. Something like Coronavirus would not be able to be treated effectively which is why the local elders have banned cruise ships. Sensible, IMHO. 

Yes, but someone did report that  there ship was not allowed to dock in St Lucia (I think was what someone had posted) because they did have some passengers running a fever on board (what cruise doesn't?) so authorities would not let them dock.

1 hour ago, DrOfBytes said:

Unfortunately in pandemic events it can be a bit iffy as to whether insurance will cover you or not. It might depend whether you bought your insurance before or after WHO upgraded it to pandemic level. If anyone is travelling soon it might be a good idea to ask your insurer how covered you will be in a coronavirus event.

Edited by ilikeanswers

45 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I think you will find that the medical system works a bit differently in Japan from the way it works in the USA.

It does work a bit differently, prices are considerably lower due to cost controls,, but foreign patients without Japanese insurance do need to pay.  At least was the system when I was there last.  Not clear if MHW will pick up the bills for those with Corona.

40 minutes ago, npcl said:

It does work a bit differently, prices are considerably lower due to cost controls,, but foreign patients without Japanese insurance do need to pay.  At least was the system when I was there last.  Not clear if MHW will pick up the bills for those with Corona.

MHW ???

So with 10 new cases, does that start the 14 quarantine clock all over again? If those 10 are just infections from before the quarantine started that were, until now, in the incubation period it shouldn't. But if they are newly transmitted cases from, say, the crew distributing food, it should.

I don't know how they could possibly tell the difference.