PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

We are on the Star Princess to Hawaii for the 2/27/20 cruise. No way I will cancel our cruise. If we happen to get quarantined for a period of time, so be it. 

Edited by Huck
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so what will happen with the Diamond Princess once this 14 day passes and it cleared to move on - but to where ??

Really unknown. On Canadian news they were trying to answer some questions re:returning Canadians who are currently on the Diamond, but they must wait to hear how Japan will handle it.

It was said, since they are completing their quarantine on the ship, they will be screened before flight back to Canada, then screened when arriving here, then going home.. The Canadians being flown back from China by the gov't are staying quarantined at an army base upon arrival back here for 14 days.

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Nope, don’t think so.  The “local authorities” seem to have the final say.  Look at the people in Japan right now; the whole quarantine order comes from the Japanese govt. the Americans are in Japanese hospitals.  I wish the USA would sweep in and rescue our citizens on that ship; perhaps they are planning something.  I was told last week on the phone that they would quarantine the ship if any cases are found during the cruise.  They also said it would really be up to the island/country how things would proceed.  Remember if anyone had the virus on the cruise,  the USA, if they allow you to disembark, will most likely put you in a government base quarantine like all those people coming back from China on planes.  Of course everything may be completely fine with no issues but the whole situation seems to be escalating, especially now at sea. It’s a lot of money to lose without insurance but you’ll have to weigh the risks.  For us, no amount of $ is worth potentially losing my freedom. The Princess statement said:

Some ports may impose additional requirements for guests to go ashore. In addition, all guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in, as well as other precautions. Requirements are subject to change based on the interests of the health and safety of our guests and crew and any other requirements imposed by local authorities.

I very much doubt that the government feels that they need to "rescue" people from a quarantine in Japan.  One that is pretty similar to what our government would be doing.  I would expect the US would also follow the put in quarantine on ship approach.

• Like 3

The only cruises we be concerned about would be in the orient . US ports have zero problems with the corona virus . In Feb & March I would be more concerned with the Flu virus  in a close in environment 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, KL Smith said:

Has anyone else canceled on this cruise or considering it?

Has anyone heard of any potential no-charge cancelling policies from Princess for upcoming cruises other than the ones in Asia already announced?  

You are more likely to contract Noro or influenza on your cruise than Corona virus.

I am on the Sapphire Princess departing Hong Kong May 10th and as of now, they are unsure where the cruise will depart from.  They are not offering us no-charge cancellation for an Asia cruise so I can almost guarantee you that if you cancel, they will give you nothing and it will be at your financial loss.  

Edited by dns65
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset329 said:

We are now on the Emerald Princess.  We arrived in Honolulu this morning.  We originally had two ports scheduled in Samoa.  Both ports have been cancelled.  However, Princess added two additional ports in Hawaii (Kona and Hilo) and an additional night in Tahiti.  We had to scramble to make changes to our port plans, but all is well.  We are on a cruise in the Pacific; it beats sitting inside to avoid the cold and snow of South Dakota.

I would be happy also with those kinds of changes.  Princess main concern is to keep people safe, it's what makes their business lucrative.  Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy your time away from all of this mass hysteria.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wen_c82 said:

Only you can decide what is the right  for you.  My neighbor is currently on Princess cruise in Hawaii right now and I haven’t heard anything  her. She is in her 70’s although her sister had urged her to cancel but she wasn’t concerned. She was really looking for to travel with her friends.

Have you tried to contact Princess to see if maybe they will let you postpone to a later date without too much penalties? They have cruises to Hawaii until end April.  I don’t have any personal experience with this type of request but it doesn’t hurt to ask. 

safe travels

I am due to sail on the Diamond on March 15th. As of yesterday when I spoke with Princess directly, they are not offering no-charge cancellations, nor offering a swap to another cruise.  It would be up to the individuals travel insurance to possibly cover costs. I have absolutely no issues with sailing and will employ all my usual self care and hygiene routines. IMHO there is a fair bit of hysterical misinformation going around 😕

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Nope, don’t think so.  The “local authorities” seem to have the final say.  Look at the people in Japan right now; the whole quarantine order comes from the Japanese govt. the Americans are in Japanese hospitals.  I wish the USA would sweep in and rescue our citizens on that ship; perhaps they are planning something.  I was told last week on the phone that they would quarantine the ship if any cases are found during the cruise.  They also said it would really be up to the island/country how things would proceed.  Remember if anyone had the virus on the cruise,  the USA, if they allow you to disembark, will most likely put you in a government base quarantine like all those people coming back from China on planes.  Of course everything may be completely fine with no issues but the whole situation seems to be escalating, especially now at sea. It’s a lot of money to lose without insurance but you’ll have to weigh the risks.  For us, no amount of $ is worth potentially losing my freedom. The Princess statement said:

Some ports may impose additional requirements for guests to go ashore. In addition, all guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in, as well as other precautions. Requirements are subject to change based on the interests of the health and safety of our guests and crew and any other requirements imposed by local authorities.

A friend advised me to contact my senators, they were doing the same.  I did that this morning.  Senator Kamala Harris’ office said she was aware and concerned. Both her and Senator Feinstein’s offices appreciated the call.  Not trying to be political here.  Seems like we could figure something out.  Not saying it would be easy, and I’m sure this post will draw many comments and an entire new thread perhaps! Americans onboard are asking for US Government help.

Thoughts to all the nationalities on board, crew included. Thoughts to the people of China devastated by the outbreak.  

I would not try and say what other governments should/could do, for their citizens,  but I can certainly ask mine. These are people who love cruising like all of us, so I guess it “hits home” with us.  So in a way, we are their strongest advocates besides their friends and family.  I say bring them home.  

10 minutes ago, milolii said:

Americans onboard are asking for US Government help.

Agreed - let's say DT charters a luxury liner that has 200 crew and 500 passenger capacity - with complete state of the art Medical personnel and facilities, then sends that over to Japan to rescue "the americans"  

Would Japan just let them get off the ship ?  just make it a slow cruise back to complete the 14 day quarantine  period

52 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:

I am due to sail on the Diamond on March 15th. As of yesterday when I spoke with Princess directly, they are not offering no-charge cancellations, nor offering a swap to another cruise.  It would be up to the individuals travel insurance to possibly cover costs. I have absolutely no issues with sailing and will employ all my usual self care and hygiene routines. IMHO there is a fair bit of hysterical misinformation going around 😕

We were on the Daimond April 2 thru 20th. We canceled yesterday and took the 20% cancelation fee

• Like 5

2 hours ago, harryw said:

The New York Times posted an article on life on the quarantined ship -

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/world/asia/coronavirus-cruise-ship.html

This  article illuminates the situation  for the entire pax & crew population on Diamond Princess .Let us all pray for their safety aboard 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Cruises to Asia have been affected.

There has not been a cruise affected in the USA.

Last time I looked Hawaii was part of the USA!!

Cruises in the South Pacific have been affected.  A number of South Pacific islands have refused entry from cruise ships.  Solomon Islands has refused entry to anyone from a country which has people with the virus (25 countries at last count, including Australia).  With the virus spreading rapidly, you need to check each country's entry rules.  

KL Smith.  I can understand your concern.  If you wish to go on the cruise to Hawaii, for your peace of mind, I suggest you try to upgrade to a balcony cabin.  Whilst I have cruised in inside cabins in the past, I no longer plan to travel in inside cabins, after seeing passengers confined in tiny inside cabins on Diamond Princess.

We love Princess and have done this itinerary 4 times.

IMHO, and if it was me, I wouldn't cancel.  Can't imagine the money lost if you cancel...cruise, airfare, hotel, etc.

Princess would not sail if it's not safe.

But I would call Princess and see if could get a balcony cabin.

Perhaps while on the phone, you can tell Princess about your concern...who knows, they may let you cancel and book another cruise...you never know.  It doesn't hurt to try.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, gvre said:

We were on the Daimond April 2 thru 20th. We canceled yesterday and took the 20% cancelation fee

It may have been better to wait to see whether Diamond Princess cancelled the cruise on 2nd April.  Did you see if you could transfer to a later cruise?  

• Like 1

The US navy has two hospital ships that are in San  Diego

When not in use, these ships operate with a skeleton crew. But in as little as five days, each can be converted into a 250-, 500- or 1,000-bed mobile hospital with a crew of 1,200 Navy physicians, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff. These are some of the most highly trained medical personnel in the world – working together as only a Navy crew can – with the skills to handle primary, trauma, pediatric, and orthopedic care. Each ship has 12 operating rooms, with specialized trauma centers and post care-unit beds included.

It is amazing what can be accomplished medically on these ships, both for military personnel and civilians. No wonder these two ships have become a symbol of hope around the globe whenever disaster strikes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Agreed - let's say DT charters a luxury liner that has 200 crew and 500 passenger capacity - with complete state of the art Medical personnel and facilities, then sends that over to Japan to rescue "the americans"  

Would Japan just let them get off the ship ?  just make it a slow cruise back to complete the 14 day quarantine  period

He is friends with PM Shinzo Abe.

24 minutes ago, milolii said:

There you go think outside the box.  I had similar thoughts. My were more about a firm belief in the capability of the US Navy.  Maybe ship to ship transfer?  

Are you under the impression that being quarantined on a US. Navy ship would somehow be more comfortable than quarantine on the Princess ship? I'm no expert on navy ships, but I doubt they are built with comfort in mind. And they certainly aren't built with quarantining in mind.

• Like 4