PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

Not sure they were all tested, I haven't heard David Abel say that he has been tested.

From reports that I have read its coughing that is the main way that this virus is spread!

Not sure about it being transmitted via air conditioning either. The virus will only survive a relatively short time outside its host on a surface. Air conditioning systems often have filters which you would think would remove droplets.

David did say very early on that their temperatures were taken and questions asked about their health etc in the initial health check before the quarantine started.

Coughing, sneezing, and it is also suspected by fecal matter transfer like Norovirus. There seems to be some discussion as to how long the virus stays viable - I've seen 4 hours, 24 hours and mutterings of even longer, so that aspect isn't very clear.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Several virus experts have commented on possible method of transfer and airborne through air-con systems is not one of those. Plus I think ships air-cons have efficient filters but would like confirmation of that - where's chengkp75 when you need him? 

The Qantas flight had medical grade filters installed so I assume standard air con filters must not be that thorough.

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The Qantas flight had medical grade filters installed so I assume standard air con filters must not be that thorough.

I'm not sure. Planes may be different to ships. The ceilings are lower in planes for a starter so droplets that may not be airborne in a ship may get sucked into the air-con on a plane. I do think it's very unlikely that the virus is spread via air-con on a ship however the only way to test that would be to have a number of people quarantined on a ship for at least twice the normal quarantine period, ie until they were absolutely sure they did not have the virus, then introduce a number of people into other cabins that were full of the virus and sneezing and coughing. But I don't think live experiments like that are allowed.  🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks for clarifying, I wrongly assumed that "testing" meant swabbing/blood sample not taking someones temperature. I guess they people with raised temperatures then had samples taken for testing. This won't however identify anyone that's a carrier of the virus and symptom free?

2 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

Thanks for clarifying, I wrongly assumed that "testing" meant swabbing/blood sample not taking someones temperature. I guess they people with raised temperatures then had samples taken for testing. This won't however identify anyone that's a carrier of the virus and symptom free?

I imagine those that were selected for further testing had swabs and/or blood samples taken and I'm not sure how they identified those people.

I think it does identify carriers. There is one guy who is on his honeymoon that has tested has having the virus, although he has no symptoms and is feeling fine. He has been removed from the ship to hospital among the latest 41 and his poor bride is stuck on the ship by herself. 

I will be cancelling our Sunday Regal voyage. Wife just cannot think of travelling even though we were going Caribbean. No refund, no Cruise credit since I did not have trip coverage. A bit disappointed in Princess. They did not even reinstate our future Cruise credit. 

We have rearranged trips in past because they have overbooked. 

My Princess planner is out of the office. Maybe next week when she is back we can talk.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure. Planes may be different to ships. The ceilings are lower in planes for a starter so droplets that may not be airborne in a ship may get sucked into the air-con on a plane. I do think it's very unlikely that the virus is spread via air-con on a ship however the only way to test that would be to have a number of people quarantined on a ship for at least twice the normal quarantine period, ie until they were absolutely sure they did not have the virus, then introduce a number of people into other cabins that were full of the virus and sneezing and coughing. But I don't think live experiments like that are allowed.  🤣

Just to add a bit of science to this.  I was in isolation in Queen Elizabeth hospital in Glasgow - which if anyone knows of it, they will know of the problems it has had recently.  I was in when the water problems first were detected- a bit of a scary nightmare to add to the nightmare I was already in. 

Anyway, a machine was put in my room that measured the number and particle size of any impurities in the air.  Along with a perti dish which I assume was going to be incubated after it was removed from my room. Being a scientist I was fascinated by this, but the people running the experiments were not allowed to take their masks off to discuss how it was done.  

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I imagine those that were selected for further testing had swabs and/or blood samples taken and I'm not sure how they identified those people.

I think it does identify carriers. There is one guy who is on his honeymoon that has tested has having the virus, although he has no symptoms and is feeling fine. He has been removed from the ship to hospital among the latest 41 and his poor bride is stuck on the ship by herself. 

I am confused I am sure the official Japanese? (or princess?) statement said the initial people were only tested because they were showing symptoms, why then was he tested?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Just to add a bit of science to this.  I was in isolation in Queen Elizabeth hospital in Glasgow - which if anyone knows of it, they will know of the problems it has had recently.  I was in when the water problems first were detected- a bit of a scary nightmare to add to the nightmare I was already in. 

Anyway, a machine was put in my room that measured the number and particle size of any impurities in the air.  Along with a perti dish which I assume was going to be incubated after it was removed from my room. Being a scientist I was fascinated by this, but the people running the experiments were not allowed to take their masks off to discuss how it was done

That's very interesting. The Petri dish would probably have contained agar and would have been incubated to see if anything grew. I'm confused about why the UK passenger was tested, he had no symptoms so presumably no fever. Maybe they are screening people who for whatever reason were known to have been close to where the original passenger stayed e.g. cabin?/

6 minutes ago, Kbears said:

I will be cancelling our Sunday Regal voyage. Wife just cannot think of travelling even though we were going Caribbean. No refund, no Cruise credit since I did not have trip coverage. A bit disappointed in Princess. They did not even reinstate our future Cruise credit. 

We have rearranged trips in past because they have overbooked. 

My Princess planner is out of the office. Maybe next week when she is back we can talk.

good luck- I totally understand your wife, there is talk of the Anthem of the Seas heading to NY having possible cases on board.  I am so glad we haven't any cruises booked for the rest of the year.  We are just back and there were quite a few Asian people on our cruise and long haul flights (no idea where from- and before anyone shouts racist our best friends are originally from Hong Kong) but was glad to reach day 14 yesterday even though our chances if picking anything up would have been extremely small

5 hours ago, dog said:

From what I have read everyone on the Diamond have not been tested. Today they are all taking their own temperatures in cabins. 

Let me clarify: Initially, passengers had their temperature taken

Once the quarantine went into effect David Abel has reported he/Sally have not had any testing done.

They were recently told to start taking their own temperatures, frequently.

It is best to get the actual facts from those on the ship, so rather then me posting, go to David Abel's vidoes on several news sites and his own fb page.

Edited by dog

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They were all tested initially before the quarantine started, that's how they identified the 273 people for further testing. Now they are riding out the quarantine hoping that they will not develop symptoms (apparently a high temperature is one of the first to appear) during the 14 days. They have all been issued with thermometers to check their temperatures regularly and are expected to call the medical centre if they notice any rise in temperature.

No .. from what I read only 300 that were thought at risk were actually tested the rest answered just three questions.  Of those 300, 61 are now confirmed as having the virus. The tests are lengthy and expensive.  At the minute I think they are relying on passengers reporting symptoms.  High temperature, cough etc.  
numbers have doubled on a daily basis .. 10 .. 20 .. 40 ..  so far only 1 crew member which hopefully doesn’t change.  Crew are not in quarantine.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KL Smith said:

After 50 cruises on many lines I find myself for the very first time actually hoping they cancel our cruise due to the potential quarantine issue. 

Even though we are probably in the most likely age group (65) to be infected, I have no worries about getting sick. I do however have a great fear of someone else getting sick and the ship being quarantined with us locked in our INSIDE cabin for 2 weeks. 

Our cruise leaves Los Angeles for Hawaii in 6 days and I have no cancelation insurance, so it would be a 100% loss for us.

Has anyone else canceled on this cruise or considering it?

Has anyone heard of any potential no-charge cancelling policies from Princess for upcoming cruises other than the ones in Asia already announced?  

What did you decide to do?

Please come back  and share.

4 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

No .. from what I read only 300 that were thought at risk were actually tested the rest answered just three questions.  Of those 300, 61 are now confirmed as having the virus. The tests are lengthy and expensive.  At the minute I think they are relying on passengers reporting symptoms.  High temperature, cough etc.  
numbers have doubled on a daily basis .. 10 .. 20 .. 40 ..  so far only 1 crew member which hopefully doesn’t change.  Crew are not in quarantine.  

I believe the exact number was 273 (I have accidentally reported the number as 237). So, 273 were in contact with ground zero patient and were tested specifically for CoV- of those 61 have the virus. 

The remaining passengers underwent temperature checks at embarkation, which, means very little since they could have also been carrying the virus onboard, yet not symptomatic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

Two words: air conditioning... 😱🤷🏻‍♀️

I suspect this is the case.  When our teenage son had the flu 2 years ago (we all had the flu shot btw— including him), I asked the doctor if we should keep him quarantined in his room.  Doc said it doesn’t matter because everyone in the home has already been exposed due to the hvac.  If this is a respiratory virus I cannot imagine that it isn’t similar.  I suspect everyone on that ship has been exposed.  If you ask me the fact that everyone on that ship isn’t sick tells me that the virus may be bad, but isn’t that bad.  I would think you are better off as the crew are getting out and about and not confined to one room breathing the same air.

Edited by Cafedumonde
  • Like 1

The WHO needs to shut down cruises right now!  Going on a cruise right now is like playing Russian Roulette.

Someone else reported this as well.  Local news articles by me (NYC) are covering possible cases of Coronavirus on the Anthem of the Seas.  The only good thing is at least they’re docked in the USA but if any cases are found they’ll probably be shipped off to a local military base in NJ or Brooklyn for quarantine (the ones with no symptoms).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny.com/amp/5910246

• Thanks 1

trying to find out more about what is known about the spread of viruses similar to the latest one I came across this article.  It is really interesting and explains a lot more about how a virus is rated for spread and fatalities.  

www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/01/heres-how-coronavirus-spreads-plane-and-safest-place-sit

16 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

The WHO needs to shut down cruises right now!  Going on a cruise right now is like playing Russian Roulette.

Someone else reported this as well.  Local news articles by me (NYC) are covering possible cases of Coronavirus on the Anthem of the Seas.  The only good thing is at least they’re docked in the USA but if any cases are found they’ll probably be shipped off to a local military base in NJ or Brooklyn for quarantine (the ones with no symptoms).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny.com/amp/5910246

the anthem had made national tv in the USA. I don’t want to clog this forum with anthem news, but the summary is 2 dozen Chinese people boarded anthem on Jan 27. They are showing respiratory illness and have been in isolation on anthem. Some are going straight to a plane back to China. A few are heading straight to the hospital in jersey. A passenger onboard just said they are telling them debarkation will start shortly. Quite frankly, I’m floored. If the patients coming from china landed a day before their cruise they still have 2 days before the initial 14 days are up. They could still be fine and test positive in a few days (not to mention those currently sick, but we can only hope rcl has ruled out CoV). If that happens, anthem becomes the next diamond princess. I would likely not board anthem today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

the anthem had made national tv in the USA. I don’t want to clog this forum with anthem news, but the summary is 2 dozen Chinese people boarded anthem on Jan 27. They are showing respiratory illness and have been in isolation on anthem. Some are going straight to a plane back to China. A few are heading straight to the hospital in jersey. A passenger onboard just said they are telling them debarkation will start shortly. Quite frankly, I’m floored. If the patients coming from china landed a day before their cruise they still have 2 days before the initial 14 days are up. They could still be fine and test positive in a few days (not to mention those currently sick, but we can only hope rcl has ruled out CoV). If that happens, anthem becomes the next diamond princess. I would likely not board anthem today.

That is insane!!!!  It’s like they want this to spread.😬

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

numbers have doubled on a daily basis .. 10 .. 20 .. 40 .. 

I wish people would stop saying "numbers have doubled/escalated, etc." which implies new cases are occurring.  As I understand it from reading the Princess statements on this thread and some other posts, the results of the initial testing were being released as they became available with the final tranche released yesterday.  So the increase - at least at this point - is not due to spread of the virus on the Diamond Princess since the quarantine.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

Apparently more pax have tested positive ..so does that mean an extra 14 days confinement ??

how does one differentiate with the dreaded cruise cough or cold and this virus ...how many of us leave a ship and come home with it ?

can crew members still clean cabins ?

ifi were confine to my cabin I.d be going nuts the only ones who might not be so badly off are balcony people who are allowed outdoors