PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

5 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

here in aus we are coming to the end of summer , and soon to be in the flu season .  don't know about other countries  flu time or season they are in,  are the cruise lines going to say sorry we cannot let you on board because you have the flu . flu and corona virus are almost alike in nature and symptoms .  are the cruise lines now going to say sorry your not permitted on the ship even if you have a flu, as they cant tell if its the flu or coronavirus

If you have the flu, you shouldn’t be boarding a cruise-ship!  Flu is highly contagious and you’d just ruin the holidays of others, and put those who can’t take the flu vaccine at risk.  That’s what travel insurance is for....

• Like 4

Just now, trinitygirl said:

If you have the flu, you shouldn’t be boarding a cruise-ship!  Flu is highly contagious and you’d just ruin the holidays of others, and put those who can’t take the flu vaccine at risk.  That’s what travel insurance is for....

that's true but nobody stays at home they go on the cruise.   if somebody comes in coughing , runny nose etc at workplace, I send them home tell them don't comeback until your cleared . 

Just now, in rod we trust said:

that's true but nobody stays at home they go on the cruise.   if somebody comes in coughing , runny nose etc at workplace, I send them home tell them don't comeback until your cleared . 

I'm glad the cruise lines are banning visibly sick passengers😷

10 minutes ago, Skoobdo said:

Why would anyone knowingly get on a cruise ship with any infectious disease? Crazy.  I know why, because people only care about themselves. As always, unfortunately☹️

same as they are doing now with coronavirus they don't think they have the disease , but once on board its to late it spreads like wildfire.   also people rather take stupid risks than loose a couple thousand .  money can be earned and replaced so can a cruise . your  health is more important than any cruise ship.    

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

BTW, after the disinfecting etc. I would not hesitate to sail on the Diamond Princess.

Neither would I.

I guess us Aussies are a hardier lot, not a bunch of wusses. 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

The situation has changed.   The sewage disposal system and all of the pipes in the toilets are loaded with a BSL-4 biohazard, of the kind that has shut down several large cities in China.    What ever nation that special service dock is located in will not allow plumbers onboard to replace the sewage system, even you could anybody smart enough to know how to  safely use weapons-lab grade safety gear and dumb enough to want the job.    I live near a shipyard, if that thing shows up here the citizens will be out with pitchforks and tar and the union will refuse to work on it -- assuming that the Coast Guard lets it near our shores in the first place.

Think about it, a ship that doesn't even have the virus is being denied entry by several nations, and now you want me to process the S*** from the holding tanks on a ship that has a confirmed large number of infected passengers when the virus is excreted by infected people?     Once you are past that hurdle, you now have a ship that many people (every sane person) will shun.   There is just no business case for restoring an older cruise ship that possibly nobody will want to cruise on.    It is not really that big of a deal overall to the company, ships go onto rocks or catch fire from time to time and the industry deals with it.   The people are the big deal.

and to think some of these ship's dump that crap out in the sea and its legal to do it once they are in international  waters..  hate to see what that is doing to our oceans health. hope pacific doesn't just dump all that out in the seas .. 

We were on the Sapphire sailing leaving Singapore on the 13th and it has just been cancelled. We cancelled Sunday evening before flying out Monday morning and received a 50% FCC, will now check to see if we are eligible for additional reimbursement. Princess has given a full refund and 100% FCC to passengers who are still booked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lhall85917 said:

We were on the Sapphire sailing leaving Singapore on the 13th and it has just been cancelled. We cancelled Sunday evening before flying out Monday morning and received a 50% FCC, will now check to see if we are eligible for additional reimbursement. Princess has given a full refund and 100% FCC to passengers who are still booked.

But you’ve already cancelled before Princess cancelled so you won’t even appear as a passenger. Worth a try I guess. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lhall85917 said:

Good luck and please keep us posted.

• Like 1

175 cases reported on the ship....no (reported) deaths!  The risk of infection is definitely high, the risk of death....well, we don't know in the population folks here care about......cruise passengers who contract the virus and get good medical care.  I am hopeful that while very serious risk of contagion, the risk of death is as low as the "normal" flu IN OUR ENVIRONMENT.  What happens in China and their hospitals does not necessarily represent "our" cruising world. 

As far as the ship.....there is zero chance it will be scrapped and/or sold.  It will be cleaned and put back in service....and all those who say "I'll never sail on that ship" and others will likely get some deals on the first sailings.....and after the first sailing or maybe two, everyone will flock back to the ship as if this never happened....even those who say "never".

Let's try to keep the fear at a reasonable level....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

As far as the ship.....there is zero chance it will be scrapped and/or sold.  It will be cleaned and put back in service....and all those who say "I'll never sail on that ship" and others will likely get some deals on the first sailings.....and after the first sailing or maybe two, everyone will flock back to the ship as if this never happened....even those who say "never".

Agree completely. People don't tend to move out of their homes if someone in the home was sick with something highly contagious. We (as a species) know how to clean things. 🙂

Does anyone really think a major cruise line is going to put future passengers at risk by not thoroughly cleaning the ship and putting it through rigorous inspection?

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 9:00 AM, CineGraphic said:

There's always someone looking to benefit from crisis/panic situations. Personally, I find it disgusting.

Enjoy your cheap cruise.

I wish the people all the best on any of the quarantined ships but as I see it the chances of contracting any virus is still minimal. 

People will react to bad news on cruise ships all the time so why not take advantage of any better pricing?

It keeps the cruise lines in business even if they do have to cut prices to stay afloat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Agree completely. People don't tend to move out of their homes if someone in the home was sick with something highly contagious. We (as a species) know how to clean things. 🙂

Does anyone really think a major cruise line is going to put future passengers at risk by not thoroughly cleaning the ship and putting it through rigorous inspection?

Princess has announced this on their web-site:

• How will you sanitize the ship once the quarantine is lifted and the  guests  have disembarked? 

A:  Once the quarantine is lifted, the ship will be taken to a special service dock, where it will receive a rigorous Level 3 cleaning and disinfection, like hospital operating rooms, to fully sanitize all stateroom and public venues.

You can read the full Q&A here: https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-coronavirus-qa.html

• Like 2

Anybody have experience with other Princess ships and how they have adjusted things in the last couple of weeks to respond to this threat?  Increased passenger illness screening on check-in?  Staff serving at the buffets instead of guests serving themselves?  Anything?

• Like 1

Not good for the cruise industry:

"Ugh, everything's down, laments Monish Luthra, president and CEO of Odysseus Solutions, a Miami software company that handles bookings for cruise companies. About 10 days ago, he says, reservations started to plummet. We've seen about a 40% drop in cruise bookings, Luthra says. What's worse, it's peak booking season for cruise lines."

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/804920438/coronavirus-casts-a-pall-over-cruise-industry-at-height-of-booking-season

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

well, this thread has been an enlightening look into my fellow c cer's  psyche

Yes, it certainly has. Not a particularly brave or level headed bunch are we. We sure seem to like conspiracy theories and litigation. When a post suggesting that most smokers are healthy people is not one of the least thought out posts on the thread there is a bit of problem with perspective.

Keep these facts in mind: 

Around 200 people die on cruise ships every year.  At this point, no one has died on a cruise from this virus.

Still no deaths in countries like Canada, US, Europe etc. 

It seems many people show almost no symptoms when they have it, and many others are recovering very quickly.

The fatality rate will certainly drop as the true numbers of people infected are counted. It would not be surprising that the rate drops well below 1% when the actual numbers are counted up.

Stop panicking. It only makes things worse.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

Yes, it certainly has. Not a particularly brave or level headed bunch are we. We sure seem to like conspiracy theories and litigation. When a post suggesting that most smokers are healthy people is not one of the least thought out posts on the thread there is a bit of problem with perspective.

Keep these facts in mind: 

Around 200 people die on cruise ships every year.  At this point, no one has died on a cruise from this virus.

Still no deaths in countries like Canada, US, Europe etc. 

It seems many people show almost no symptoms when they have it, and many others are recovering very quickly.

The fatality rate will certainly drop as the true numbers of people infected are counted. It would not be surprising that the rate drops well below 1% when the actual numbers are counted up.

Stop panicking. It only makes things worse.

Unless of course you’re a passenger on the Diamond Princess right now.  It’s actually really bad for them right now.  That is real; not “fake news”. All from 1 passenger who had the virus on their cruise.  It can happen anywhere on any ship as we are a world of “travelers” and come in contact with people from all over the world every day.  I don’t think it’s an over reaction at all.  This is a very fluid situation.  There are still a lot of unknowns in regards to transmission and actual infections.  

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Not good for the cruise industry:

"Ugh, everything's down, laments Monish Luthra, president and CEO of Odysseus Solutions, a Miami software company that handles bookings for cruise companies. About 10 days ago, he says, reservations started to plummet. We've seen about a 40% drop in cruise bookings, Luthra says. What's worse, it's peak booking season for cruise lines."

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/804920438/coronavirus-casts-a-pall-over-cruise-industry-at-height-of-booking-season

That is not reflective at all in what I have seen from my clients. My bookings are up over this time last year by a good percent.