PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Good to hear a positive report from someone on board!  Lots of cruise loving folks are thinking about you and are sending good wishes that you and others stay healthy.  Hang in there.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, capriccio said:

kip6 - Thank you for your updates.  I would like to think that if I was in similar circumstances I would have a similar attitude.  I hope the rest of your quarantine period passes uneventfully.

You're welcome and thank you for your kind words.

Edited by kip6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kip6 said:

You're welcome and thank you for your kind words.

Thank you for all your posts. I would be most interested to hear about any information regarding the end of the quarantine, any material from the Ministry of Health or Princess. Hope all goes well for you.

6 minutes ago, mellow moog said:

All the very best with continuing the Quarantine Kip6 and hope you stay safe from this. As you said, this is (large scale unscheduled and unprepared for) Quarantine that just happens to be on a cruise ship. The attitudes of some people posting here seem to keep forgetting that and the serious situation that is happening.  

Thank you. Yes so true this is apparently the first time a ship of this size has had to quarantine all passengers and crew and it is a steep learning curve for all concerned. Everyday I am amazed at the resilience of this fantastic crew who are taking every hurdle in their stride, with grace and humour. A Captain who is truely a great leader who every night gives the crew an update and encouraging words, praising their hard work and wonderful attitude.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, mellow moog said:

All the very best with continuing the Quarantine Kip6 and hope you stay safe from this. As you said, this is (large scale unscheduled and unprepared for) Quarantine that just happens to be on a cruise ship. The attitudes of some people posting here seem to keep forgetting that and the serious situation that is happening.  

as an aside,  My wife just got Pneumonia which progressed form a flu she got as we left our Southern Caribbean cruise of all places 10 days ago. Not blaming the cruise ship one bit. These things happen but made me wonder as ive been following this thread...  

When we returned from our NZ/Australia cruise in December, I guess I was getting sick but we thought we were just "doing too much" or something.

We spent the night at the Hong Kong airport, and we are just glad that it wasn't a few weeks later.

I finally got *very* sick on the looong flight out of Hong Kong, and our flight - *I* - was met by EMTs and an ambulance (and my goodness, does one get through the airport *fast* then; the pilots clear you before the plane even lands, and there was someone from the airport running alongside, asking DH for his baggage receipts and also offering to  take the larger carry-ons and to deliver them to our home later).

Anyway, I ended up with pneumonia (and some other complications) and in isolation, with "contagion precautions".  It was almost a week before I saw the actual faces or street clothing (or white jackets, etc.) of any of the hospital staff.  No hazmat, thank goodness, but IF this had been a bit later, that might have been the case, at least for a while.

It turned out that I had a different virus, something that is common in young children, but uncommon in adults.  DH was never tested, but we should have asked for that; did he also "have it" but no complications, or did I not transmit it to him.  (Given the timing and location, we doubt that COVID-19 had anything to do with it.)

The reason they let DH in my room is that because they knew "what I had", their main concern was not to transmit it to other patients, and DH obviously was not going into other patient rooms.

It was NOT pleasant.  I was *very* sick, and I REALLY feel for those who are currently ill.

I'm still recovering, including some post-hospital complications.

We have no idea just where or when I "caught" it.  Probably because it was before this new COVID-19, no one seemed particularly interested in any of that.  A couple of weeks later, and things would perhaps been much different, especially given our night in Hong Kong.

GC

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kip6 said:

Thank you. Yes so true this is apparently the first time a ship of this size has had to quarantine all passengers and crew and it is a steep learning curve for all concerned. Everyday I am amazed at the resilience of this fantastic crew who are taking every hurdle in their stride, with grace and humour. A Captain who is truely a great leader who every night gives the crew an update and encouraging words, praising their hard work and wonderful attitude.

I think it brings out the best in most people times like this where you need a community spirit when there's a possibillity of bad things happening. 

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best  ....

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Info from an Australian doctor on the ship. Her dad tested positive (initially negative) and has been moved to a hospital. Difficult communications. Australian Embassy trying to help. Bless her heart.

https://twitter.com/eCrets?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2020-02-14%2Fwhy-do-coronavirus-cases-keep-rising-on-diamond-princess%2F11961166

image.thumb.png.dbff6c34687d840c10cf58197766213f.png

The tweet is days old at this point ... five hours ago she tweeted that Dad is doing well, no pneumonia. NOT a new case from today.

This was an interview with an American passenger whose wife tested positive.  Thankfully, she seems okay and hopefully they will be reunited soon:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/quarantined-cruise-ship-american-diagnosed-with-coronavirus.html#comments

And best wishes to kip6 and all the others onboard with you!

Edited by kitkat343

6 hours ago, richstowe said:

You are very fortunate to have gotten 11 days  . I am desperately hoping for 4 days or more .

The passengers leaving on the 13th got no notice and many had arrived the day before and either had to find somewhere else to go or just fly back home. So we were grateful that we hadn't flown for 14 hours and had to fly back the next day. I hope you hear something soon. 

• Like 1

Yes - my parents and I had a layover in Beijing, before our onwards flight to Singapore on Feb 1st.  We weren't allowed to board the Sapphire when it left on Feb 2, so hung out in Singapore a few days before going home.  Two weeks on, now, still symptom free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

David Abel has great updates.  Things are apparently not really that great for a lot of people on board. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10220683436497963&id=1297536431&anchor_composer=false

Can you explain? Link not working for me and I no longer watch his videos. 

Edited by dog

1 minute ago, dog said:

Can you explain? Link not working for me and I no look ne’er watch videos. 

He was saying ambulances were taking people off all day yesterday and there were no announcements as to why.  He believes Japan may be censoring information.  The testing is also not accurate.  False positives, false negatives. He said his friend in the Japanese hospital is having a tough time with the language barrier and doesn’t trust the medical care.  David is pleading for help from Richard Branson to help the Brits get out of there. Many are very scared and upset.  Princess is doing great with them but Japan has all the control as to their healthcare and quarantine.  There’s more but it doesn’t sound like things are all that good for a lot of people.  He’s been the most positive person I’ve ever heard in my life and in that video he broke down in tears. Yea, it’s bad right now for a lot of people.  Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, kip6 said:

Hello kip6, So good to see your posts here and that you are maintaining positive spirits.  I've been wavering between feeling lucky and feeling guilty since we arrived home. Hubby and myself, along with my group of 29 clients and friends, disembarked the Diamond Princess on January 20, after sailing a Singapore-Tokyo 2 week Asia itinerary. After spending several days in Tokyo, we all flew home to the U.S. by January 25.

Several in our group became ill after returning home, and as the virus was blowing up in the media, several sought medical attention out of concern.  In all cases, it was just some random bug picked up from traveling, and not the virus. As of today, we've all been home just under 3 weeks, and feel grateful we scooted out under the wire.

Most of us have been closely following the events on the Diamond with great empathy.  While we feel fortunate in our timing, our thoughts are very much with those still on board, the passengers and the wonderful crew (Charlie our kind cabin steward, Dale' in the Wheelhouse, several others). I am sending lots of good energy your way that you can continue to maintain your positive outlook, and that the issue is resolved soon.

Thinking of you, and all the best, Terry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have my doubts that the March 15th sailing will happen.  I mean I hope it does for everyone booked on it.  But seriously.  Does anyone really want to sail on it?  Right now Princess are in crisis mode and are looking maybe one week into the future.    Once they are able to get everyone off Diamond, my prediction they will be taking this ship out of service.  Sending all the staff home (two months paid leave as has already been reported). Ship I predict out of service until the summer. My opinion. 

I bet going to do a major retrofit.  I am sure that their insurance company is going to require it for that ship to be-reinsured at an even higher premium  and that cost will be passed along to all the future passengers throughout the fleet. 

Insurance folks would want it totally stripped down, all beds, linens, towels, dishes thrown out and disinfected top to bottom, all air duct, air conditioning, heating system cleaned out.    This is an unprecedented situation. 

Yes, there has been norovirus on many ships and they sail soon after (basically same day that they unload passengers following deep clean, of which is dubious).  Diamond will forever have a stigma attached to it and I am even thinking it could get renamed if they opt to keep it in the Asian market.    Carnival has experience with renaming as they have done it on other ships, can't remember the names but after some of the fires, etc.    Let's watch and see.  Sailing the Diamond out of Yokohama two years ago and it was getting ready anyhow for a refurbish.  Soon after our sail, they added a lot of Japanese /Chinese accoutrements to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

I doubt it - I certainly would not. I do feel sorry for the people stuck on board but I don't think quarantine anywhere else would be significantly better. I would change my mind if I was convinced that the virus really was spreading between the passengers. So far there is no evidence of that (of course there is none that it isn't either). All the new positives could well be from infection prior to quarantine. 

Also, at least the quarantine in US military bases does not seem any better (possibly worse). So why go to the additional expense and risk?

We will know in a couple of days, the number of new cases per days should drop of significantly this late into quarantine now and well past the median incubation time.  The days with the peak number of cases was right around the median time.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pink845 said:

I have my doubts that the March 15th sailing will happen.  I mean I hope it does for everyone booked on it.  But seriously.  Does anyone really want to sail on it?  Right now Princess are in crisis mode and are looking maybe one week into the future.    Once they are able to get everyone off Diamond, my prediction they will be taking this ship out of service.  Sending all the staff home (two months paid leave as has already been reported). Ship I predict out of service until the summer. My opinion. 

I bet going to do a major retrofit.  I am sure that their insurance company is going to require it for that ship to be-reinsured at an even higher premium  and that cost will be passed along to all the future passengers throughout the fleet. 

Insurance folks would want it totally stripped down, all beds, linens, towels, dishes thrown out and disinfected top to bottom, all air duct, air conditioning, heating system cleaned out.    This is an unprecedented situation. 

Yes, there has been norovirus on many ships and they sail soon after (basically same day that they unload passengers following deep clean, of which is dubious).  Diamond will forever have a stigma attached to it and I am even thinking it could get renamed if they opt to keep it in the Asian market.    Carnival has experience with renaming as they have done it on other ships, can't remember the names but after some of the fires, etc.    Let's watch and see.  Sailing the Diamond out of Yokohama two years ago and it was getting ready anyhow for a refurbish.  Soon after our sail, they added a lot of Japanese /Chinese accoutrements to it. 

I wish it will get cancelled. I am waiting for Princess to announce it for our March 15th sailing so we can get 100% credit to reschedule. Princess is only offering 50% credit at the moment. As much as the existing risk of the ship, I am just as concerned with having just one passenger/crew get on the ship with no symptom. All it needs is one air passenger get it on a flight, then pass it to a taxi driver. And I or someone get on this taxi right before the sailing. All these can happen within 14 days with no symptom. I am not trying to scare anyone. It is just not a good time to cruise. I wish Princess will let everyone with existing (Diamond Princess) booking to reschedule without penalty. 

• Like 4

Following up on the discussions last night.

The CDC Director is anticipating local Community spread, in the US, as described in the link below:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/health/coronavirus-cdc-robert-redfield-gupta-intv/index.html

I couldn't find it last night, but the CDC has also issued guidelines asking any community doctor/hospital/center/cruiseship etc with a "cluster" of people with serious respiratory issues, like Pneumonia, to report the patient info to the CDC.  Footnote 4 in the CDC link below explains this, and explains that these patients do not need to have a nexus to China and/or Wuhan or someone who they know has traveled there. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-criteria.html

I suggest that anyone having fevers,  Pneumonia, etc. who has recently been on a ship, notify their medical team immediately that they recently cruised and should notify the cruiseline in writing including ship, date of debarkation and onset of symptoms.  Once passengers debark and return to their residential communities, even if they were infected on the ship, it would be hard to know about a "cluster" potentially before it's too late. Notifying the cruiseline would allow the information to be acted upon more quickly.

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

If it goes down and stops (those patients that did not have contact with someone that developed during incubation and in same cabin) before the end of the incubation period then one can be pretty sure isolation worked.

If I remember correctly, you've identified yourself as a medical professional?  For me, if isolation on the Diamond worked, that would actually be MORE frightening.  How on earth did one (patient 0) or a few (let's call them patients 1-4), infect 219 people on that ship during a standard cruise?    What made the ship or passengers so susceptible to infection and/or virus spread?  We are just not seeing that elsewhere (like with the British businessman who infected only 11 and was a called a "supercarrier" or "superspreader").

I do believe that except for an isolated incident (I walked past someone who just sneezed in the hallway while inside cabins were getting outside time, or I was too close to my cabinmate or balcony mate thus transmitting the virus during quarantine), the quarantine is working to control the spread (<-- my opinion). But, as I said, that is more frightening for cruisers contemplating cruising the in the next 1-3 months.

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Of course not.

However, IF one is then hospitalized in, say, China, given the warning level from the USA government about China, MJA would *not* transport the policy holder anywhere.

GC

Yes  they have announced that there are several countries that they cannot operate in now due to travel restrictions, but Japan is not on that list.

2 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

If I remember correctly, you've identified yourself as a medical professional?  For me, if isolation on the Diamond worked, that would actually be MORE frightening.  How on earth did one (patient 0) or a few (let's call them patients 1-4), infect 219 people on that ship during a standard cruise?    What made the ship or passengers so susceptible to infection and/or virus spread?  We are just not seeing that elsewhere (like with the British businessman who infected only 11 and was a called a "supercarrier" or "superspreader").

I do believe that except for an isolated incident (I walked past someone who just sneezed in the hallway while inside cabins were getting outside time, or I was too close to my cabinmate or balcony mate thus transmitting the virus during quarantine), the quarantine is working to control the spread (<-- my opinion). But, as I said, that is more frightening for cruisers contemplating cruising the in the next 1-3 months.

Cruise ships are an ideal location for spreading URI's.  Just think of a normal day on a cruise ship.  How many different people are within 6 feet of you during the day.  In the buffet, in the theater, but the pool, in the lounges, in line to get on or off the ship, on tenders, etc. Then you have the transmission by physical surface contact.  Add in the age demographics.

Cruise ships are as bad if not worse than schools and nursing homes.

If you have been on very many cruises of 10-14 days.  How often have you seen a cruise start and no one is coughing, only to have it seem like the entire ship has the cruise crud by the end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

How on earth did one (patient 0) or a few (let's call them patients 1-4), infect 219 people on that ship during a standard cruise?    What made the ship or passengers so susceptible to infection and/or virus spread?  

Remember the full cruise, Yokohama to Yokohama, was around 14 days. Patient 0 was on the ship for 5 nights and in the time presumably passed it on to a number of passengers who were doing the full cruise. Those passengers, in turn, passed it on to more passengers.

I've seen coughs and flus go around on cruise ships very quickly, especially on cruises longer than seven days. This virus isn't acting any differently apart from probably being more virulent.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Remember the full cruise, Yokohama to Yokohama, was around 14 days. Patient 0 was on the ship for 5 nights and in the time presumably passed it on to a number of passengers who were doing the full cruise. Those passengers, in turn, passed it on to more passengers.

I've seen coughs and flus go around on cruise ships very quickly, especially on cruises longer than seven days. This virus isn't acting any differently apart from probably being more virulent.

But before late January there were no or few restriction on travel to/from hotspots like China/Hong Kong etc.  How are so many sick on the Diamond Princess but Not from the Diamond cruise before this current one? or on any of the other cruises from late December-mid-January to now?  Especially if the virus is more virulent.

The virus started in early December.  I find it hard to believe that only one man, on one ship, worldwide, boarded a cruiseship while infected since late December.  I just don't believe that to be a fact (<-- and that is my opinion).

9 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I have canceled 3 cruises that were scheduled in March April time frame.  Because of the following reasons:

1. This is fairly fast moving and that time frame is just when it might be showing spread outside of China. The cruise area was south pacific out of Sydney.  Too much uncertainty for me.

2. I was able to get 90% of my money back, Waiting would create the potential for much more loss.

3. The cruises were 14 day, 10 day back to back, one day in Sydney  than 16 days back to Honolulu on a different line. Too much chance for things to change while on the cruise.  Too much change to pick up a URI and get denied boarding on the later cruise.

4. Too many of the south pacific ports were already starting to restrict cruise ship visits.  Did not want to spend the money only for the cruises to turn into many days and sea with few to no ports.

Instead flying to Tahiti, Fiji and Hawaii during the same time.

If it was a case of flying somewhere,doing a cruise and then flying home, I would not have canceled, but with a complex trip like that too many ways for things to go south. I still have cruises booked later in the year, but they are more fly, do the cruise, spend a few days, go home type trips, not in Asia or south pacific.