PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

1 minute ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

But before late January there were no or few restriction on travel to/from hotspots like China/Hong Kong etc.  How are so many sick on the Diamond Princess but Not from the Diamond cruise before this current one? or on any of the other cruises from late December-mid-January to now?  Especially if the virus is more virulent.

The virus started in early December.  I find it hard to believe that only one man, on one ship, worldwide, boarded a cruiseship while infected since late December.  I just don't believe that to be a fact (<-- and that is my opinion).

Case 0 was not on the earlier cruise so no source of infection

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They don’t period

They don't for medical, but check out their web site they also have coverage that does provide for evacuation when normal travel breaks down including pandemic, terrorism, violent crime, etc. So why they do not provide ship to hospital evacuation.  This would have fallen under the other terms.

Which as according to the person that posted indicated that they said that they would send a team, but Japan blocked it.

It is called medjet Horizon not the normal medjet Assist

Edited by npcl

3 hours ago, pink845 said:

I bet going to do a major retrofit.  I am sure that their insurance company is going to require it for that ship to be-reinsured at an even higher premium  and that cost will be passed along to all the future passengers throughout the fleet. 

Insurance folks would want it totally stripped down, all beds, linens, towels, dishes thrown out and disinfected top to bottom, all air duct, air conditioning, heating system cleaned out.    This is an unprecedented situation.

What insurance? After the Costa Concordia disaster, Carnival Corp announced that they only insure the hull of each vessel. They do not insure for loss of income from future cruises.

Obviously there will be a deep clean of the Diamond Princess before she can go back into service. That fact plus the passage of time should make the ship safe to travel in. They may re-name her and move her to one of Carnival Corporation's other companies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

How on earth did one (patient 0) or a few (let's call them patients 1-4), infect 219 people on that ship during a standard cruise?    What made the ship or passengers so susceptible to infection and/or virus spread?  We are just not seeing that elsewhere (like with the British businessman who infected only 11 and was a called a "supercarrier" or "superspreader").

This could be a reason so many people became infected from one original source.

There is news item in today's paper quoting the American Medical Association. It that states:

children who contract the coronavirus are rarely becoming sick .... but they may be "asymptomatic shedders".  The median age of patients diagnosed with the disease is between 49 and 56 and cases in children have been rare. Robust immunity in children is likely to be the reason.

It has previously been reported that 80% of the passengers are over 60 with 215 in their 80s and 11 in their 90s. With the crew being much younger, this could be a reason they have a much lower percentage of confirmed infections.

kip6, thanks again for your updates from DP, good luck with all.   On the side, some media is reporting that Japanese Health Authorities are going to test all pax and crew on board, ye gods, how long will that take? Surely not before 19 Feb? 

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There is news item in today's paper quoting the American Medical Association. It that states:

children who contract the coronavirus are rarely becoming sick .... but they may be "asymptomatic shedders".  The median age of patients diagnosed with the disease is between 49 and 56 and cases in children have been rare. Robust immunity in children is likely to be the reason.

This is truly fascinating . It goes against all my assumption that the old and the

young are most susceptible to viruses .  

10 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

David Abel has great updates.  Things are apparently not really that great for a lot of people on board. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10220683436497963&id=1297536431&anchor_composer=false

I have watched them all, a bit down at the moment, worrying when he and Sally will be tested and separation if one is positive.

They want Sir Richard Branson to send in an aircraft and fly the 70 Brits home.

2 hours ago, npcl said:

I have canceled 3 cruises that were scheduled in March April time frame.  Because of the following reasons:

1. This is fairly fast moving and that time frame is just when it might be showing spread outside of China. The cruise area was south pacific out of Sydney.  Too much uncertainty for me.

2. I was able to get 90% of my money back, Waiting would create the potential for much more loss.

3. The cruises were 14 day, 10 day back to back, one day in Sydney  than 16 days back to Honolulu on a different line. Too much chance for things to change while on the cruise.  Too much change to pick up a URI and get denied boarding on the later cruise.

4. Too many of the south pacific ports were already starting to restrict cruise ship visits.  Did not want to spend the money only for the cruises to turn into many days and sea with few to no ports.

Instead flying to Tahiti, Fiji and Hawaii during the same time.

If it was a case of flying somewhere,doing a cruise and then flying home, I would not have canceled, but with a complex trip like that too many ways for things to go south. I still have cruises booked later in the year, but they are more fly, do the cruise, spend a few days, go home type trips, not in Asia or south pacific.

This sounds a lot like what we will be embarking on, but all on Princess. If we had the chance to cancel our Transpacific we probably would. Unfortunately, we do not have the cancel for any reason provision. Will probably be doing more dining room and room service for breakfast and lunch. Washing our hands until they are raw.   Packing lots of hydrogen peroxide wipes. 

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

kip6, thanks again for your updates from DP, good luck with all.   On the side, some media is reporting that Japanese Health Authorities are going to test all pax and crew on board, ye gods, how long will that take? Surely not before 19 Feb? 

If the quarantine period is to end 19 Feb, that means anyone affected pre-q

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

If the quarantine period is to end on 19 Feb, that means anyone infected pre-quarantine should have have evidence of infection by that date if infected. Anyone not infected by that date should test negative.

However, the testing needs to be on samples taken at the end of the quarantine period, not a day or days before.

How fast those samples can be tested should determine how fast those testing negative can return home.

Of course cabinmates of those who had tested positive either during the quarantine or at the end need to be in quarantine for a longer period.

11 hours ago, pink845 said:

I bet going to do a major retrofit.  I am sure that their insurance company is going to require it for that ship to be-reinsured at an even higher premium  and that cost will be passed along to all the future passengers throughout the fleet. 

Insurance folks would want it totally stripped down, all beds, linens, towels, dishes thrown out and disinfected top to bottom, all air duct, air conditioning, heating system cleaned out.    This is an unprecedented situation. 

If all materials such as linens and towels need to be thrown out, then why should passengers' clothing not also be thrown out instead of taken home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dog said:

SakeDad. Thanks I am now hearing it on CNN and saw the State Dept notice for US citizens aboard the Diamond. On Twitter some are expressing concerns, hard decision to make for some. 

They should have done this last week.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:34 PM, mellow moog said:

All the very best with continuing the Quarantine Kip6 and hope you stay safe from this. As you said, this is (large scale unscheduled and unprepared for) Quarantine that just happens to be on a cruise ship. The attitudes of some people posting here seem to keep forgetting that and the serious situation that is happening.  

as an aside,  My wife just got Pneumonia which progressed form a flu she got as we left our Southern Caribbean cruise of all places 10 days ago. Not blaming the cruise ship one bit. These things happen but made me wonder as ive been following this thread...  

I hope she recovers quickly!

4 hours ago, dog said:

SakeDad. Thanks I am now hearing it on CNN and saw the State Dept notice for US citizens aboard the Diamond. On Twitter some are expressing concerns, hard decision to make for some. 

Yes.  I was reading a twitter comment from someone on board and they bring up some good points about NOT wanting to go on the plane back to the USA.  If the USA govt is not testing everyone before they get on the plane and you are negative and are exposed on that flight back to the USA then you could potentially get sick with the virus from the flight home.  Some would rather ride out the rest of the ship quarantine and go home directly if testing negative.  Ugh.  This is a tough situation. I really feel for these people.

• Like 2

I am also following the troubles with HAL's Westerdam.  After finally finding a port that would allow disembarkation in Cambodia they started allowing passengers off and arranging flights.  This morning there is a post (#777) on 

that an American passenger who disembarked yesterday after the health check has now been found to be infected with the virus. A passenger from the ship is reporting that the HAL charters out of Malaysia have been canceled (post #785).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Yes.  I was reading a twitter comment from someone on board and they bring up some good points about NOT wanting to go on the plane back to the USA.  If the USA govt is not testing everyone before they get on the plane and you are negative and are exposed on that flight back to the USA then you could potentially get sick with the virus from the flight home.  Some would rather ride out the rest of the ship quarantine and go home directly if testing negative.  Ugh.  This is a tough situation. I really feel for these people.

Do not know for sure, but heard they were to test negative to get on plane  Anyone know?

7 minutes ago, dog said:

Do not know for sure, but heard they were to test negative to get on plane  Anyone know?

ABC News is reported "screened for symptoms". So not testing.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-evacuate-americans-quarantined-cruise-ship-due-coronavirus/story?id=69002244&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_hed 

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I am also following the troubles with HAL's Westerdam.  After finally finding a port that would allow disembarkation in Cambodia they started allowing passengers off and arranging flights.  This morning there is a post (#777) on 

that an American passenger who disembarked yesterday after the health check has now been found to be infected with the virus. A passenger from the ship is reporting that the HAL charters out of Malaysia have been canceled (post #785).

Thanks. There were 144 from ship with her on the plane from Cambodia to Malaysia. 

5 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Oh no!  I wonder what happens now?  Do they now face quarantine in Malaysia?  This is sad news.  I was so happy they were finally “free”.

We will be hearing I am sure. All other passengers and crew were on ship with her too, but they did some sort of testing before disembarking. So serious. 

Edited by dog

On 1/30/2020 at 7:41 PM, npcl said:

Note the "suspected" at this time.  The inability of the ships doctor to run a test without having to send results to a lab makes it a problem because it cannot eliminate the virus during the normal URI cases that seem to pop up on a lot of cruises. 

I was just reading that the first sign of the coronavirus is a fever over 38 degrees celsius (100.4F). They could use one of those "scanning thermometers" to at least catch anyone with an active virus/flu etc.