PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

57 minutes ago, caribill said:

From the Princess Chief Medical Officer:

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said. "We’ve adopted these measures throughout our entire fleet."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/07/coronavirus-california-passenger-brought-virus-princess-cruise/4986296002/

To be blunt, this is ridiculous. The point of any cruise is to relax, enjoy and be social. Now every time some one comes close to us we have to move away? How does that translate to being in a lift? We can only to travel two (as a couple) per lift? How about at the bar? The Buffet? In a theatre? This is such a "CYA - blame the passenger" statement.  If that's the best any cruiseline can offer in terms of safety then it's all over. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said. "We’ve adopted these measures throughout our entire fleet."

https://www.usatoday.com/

2 hours ago, caribill said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/07/coronavirus-california-passenger-brought-virus-princess-cruise/4986296002/

story/travel/cruises/2020/03/07/coronavirus-california-passenger-brought-virus-princess-cruise/4986296002/

Does not make sense how are they going to control it in other areas? Like in the port when you are all sitting elbow to elbow waiting to board!  To princess cays when they shove everyone they can fit and then some on a tender to shore!

Edited by Reader0108598

Due to board Caribbean princess on 21st March. If we can get a full refund we’ll cancel.... not happy with the offer of FCC at the moment. We’d rather have the money back in our bank account! Due to travel with my in laws who are in their 70’s and they’re adamant they’re still going.

I feel like the point of a cruise is to rest and relax.... don’t think there’ll be much of that going on if we do go!! I also think it’s highly likely that ports will get cancelled.

I don’t fancy the idea of 2 weeks onboard without any stops. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, land lover said:

Just be prepared mentally.....

Exactly. Even with the best will in the world, who can honestly say that they would have a  relaxing vacation without having that nagging thought at the back of their mind that it could be their ship next.

Additionally, people are stating a 14 day quarantine but think how long David Abel has been away from home - way more than 14 days! Who would willingly want to be away from your family/home/friends for that length of time, in some of the situations we have seen? And remember, the US government statement has basically stated that you’re on your own if you do decide to sail. Hope these pax still continuing on cruises have excellent insurance (including pandemics/epidemics) as many cruisers on these boards claim they don’t bother buying it!

• Like 4

The comment from the Chief Medical Officer does not entirely make sense. My immediate observation would be what are the staff going to do?  Going to make serving people a tad difficult I would say.

The cruise industry is going to have real problems if it is not careful. Princess have already found out, to their cost, that moving staff from ship to ship was not a great move.

There are a lot of people canceling cruises and whilst they will do whatever they can to mitigate this, saying that you must practice social distancing will not work on a ship! 

• Like 1

Just a further thought from me based in some other comments. Agree that a cruise without any ports would not be enjoyable and the fact that you may not get off at the end!

We have until July to pay for our cruise although if I had to pay for a cruise right now, then I would take the hit on the money have have paid to our TA rather than have the potential for disruption when our 16 night cruise is just a part of an 4 week trip. 

No one really knows right now how this is going to pan out and how the situation will look in a few months. 

Thoughts go out to all those who are directly affected and have lost loved ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

To be blunt, this is ridiculous. The point of any cruise is to relax, enjoy and be social. Now every time some one comes close to us we have to move away? How does that translate to being in a lift? We can only to travel two (as a couple) per lift? How about at the bar? The Buffet? In a theatre? This is such a "CYA - blame the passenger" statement.  If that's the best any cruiseline can offer in terms of safety then it's all over. 

Given that you’d have to be certifiable at this point to voluntarily step on a cruise ship with even the US State Department telling you not to, I’m thinking the social distancing isn’t going to be too hard.  These ships are going to be sailing three quarters empty with only the truly ignorant continuing to board.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Given that you’d have to be certifiable at this point to voluntarily step on a cruise ship with even the US State Department telling you not to, I’m thinking the social distancing isn’t going to be too hard.  These ships are going to be sailing three quarters empty with only the truly ignorant continuing to board.

Good point! even if you are young and healthy, do you want to give this to someone who is not ? Relative,fellow traveler in the airport. You may not know you have it,because you are able to fight it off.I don't think anyone is ignorant, I just think when you are younger and healthy you feel nothing can touch you. We all did!

Edited by Reader0108598

If princess offered us a refund we’d cancel. I just can’t afford to lose out on £7,000. Granted they’ll take it off of another cruise but I’d rather have the money back in my bank account! 

There’s over 250 empty cabins on our cruise at the moment. Caribbean princess 21st March 

Edited by Lauraa88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lauraa88 said:

If princess offered us a refund we’d cancel. I just can’t afford to lose out on £7,000. Granted they’ll take it off of another cruise but I’d rather have the money back in my bank account! 

There’s over 250 empty cabins on our cruise at the moment. Caribbean princess 21st March 

And that is exactly why people just can't bear to cancel. It is so much money to lose and I just don't want any FCC. Who knows what happens in 12 months time? We already have 2021 cruises planned. It's useless to us. 

17 minutes ago, Lauraa88 said:

Laura I understand that is why I book insurance  (thankfully)

for the time I fell and fractured three ribs ...ouch!  I also understand you want your money back ,I would too.

Anyway I wish princess would do more I am not worried about you getting sick unless you have other health issues. I worry about those you love who are older . You may not even feel sick but can pass it on. I do understand your thoughts though.

Edited by Reader0108598

22 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And that is exactly why people just can't bear to cancel. It is so much money to lose and I just don't want any FCC. Who knows what happens in 12 months time? We already have 2021 cruises planned. It's useless to us. 

Completely agree! They should let us cancel for a full refund. 

11 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Laura I understand that is why I book insurance  (thankfully)

for the time I fell and fractured three ribs ...ouch!  I also understand you want your money back ,I would too.

Anyway I wish princess would do more I am not worried about you getting sick unless you have other health issues. I worry about those you love who are older . You may not even feel sick but can pass it on. I do understand your thoughts though.

I completely agree. We have got insurance so would need to look into if we could claim. I’m worried about my in laws travelling because they’re in their 70’s

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lauraa88 said:

I completely agree. We have got insurance so would need to look into if we could claim. I’m worried about my in laws travelling because they’re in their 70’s

I hope they don't I am 61 hubby is 72 although he is in better health than I am ..lol Whatever you decided may you be safe and healthy!

Edited by Reader0108598

37 minutes ago, Pushka said:

If your future 2021 cruises are with Princess, you can use the FCC as payment, though suspect they may not be with Princess.

Edited by downsmead
  • Like 1

I had searched and did not see this article posted.  Very interesting talking about the timeline on the Diamond Princess with interviews from some pax. It looks more at the events of early February in a variety of places and sources.  

From this weekends NYT so it is new and not a re-hash. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/world/asia/coronavirus-cruise-ship.html

Edited by LMaxwell
addtl detail
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

The money is already gone though.  What you aren't getting is the experience.  I also would prefer actual money over an FCC, but to claim you are "losing" the money is inaccurate 

5 hours ago, caribill said:

I think it's a good practice and if enough people cancel it shouldn't cause a back up in  the MDR.  This just sounds like a nightmare. I can't imagine enjoying myself with all of this extra necessary precaution along with all of the other scenarios. Like Land Lover said you really have to prepare yourself mentally. All those who say just do it are only considering getting the virus and not the reality of what may happen overall without even getting sick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

All those who say just do it are only considering getting the virus and not the reality of what may happen overall without even getting sick. 

Correct.  They MUST have their vacation and have no other considerations.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Exactly. Even with the best will in the world, who can honestly say that they would have a  relaxing vacation without having that nagging thought at the back of their mind that it could be their ship next.

Additionally, people are stating a 14 day quarantine but think how long David Abel has been away from home - way more than 14 days! Who would willingly want to be away from your family/home/friends for that length of time, in some of the situations we have seen? And remember, the US government statement has basically stated that you’re on your own if you do decide to sail. Hope these pax still continuing on cruises have excellent insurance (including pandemics/epidemics) as many cruisers on these boards claim they don’t bother buying it!

They should also get a passport if they don't already have one closed loop cruise or not.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lauraa88 said:

I just feel like we should get a full refund. Why should my £7000 sit in Princess’ bank account until we decide to book another cruise? We’ve not got any more planned at the moment 

Go through your travel agent to get what you want. We were extremely grateful that Princess is giving us a 100 percent FCC when we cancelled for our March 7 th cruise. We already flew to Florida and are enjoying a land vacation at our own expense. Not expecting anymore from Princess. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lauraa88 said:

I just feel like we should get a full refund. Why should my £7000 sit in Princess’ bank account until we decide to book another cruise? We’ve not got any more planned at the moment 

Not to mention with all of the FCCs these cruise lines are giving out I would expect that the prices will be high next year with the demand of passengers wanting to use their FCCs. The same trip next year will probably cost you more.

• Like 2