PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

4 hours ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

I understand and feel for you.  With that said, you should maybe consider that you are falling for the sunk cost fallacy.  You aren't losing £7,000, that money is already spent.  If you were offered to cruise on that ship for free tomorrow would you take it?  I submit any sane rational person at this point would not.  Will you have fun on this cruise knowing that you could get sick?  That you could get quarantined?  That you could get the bug and not know it and spread it back home to your loved ones?

This is what happened to me. I chose not to sail on the February 25 sailing of the Crown Princess since my husband has high risk if he were to catch the virus. I had a Vista suite and it was over $6000, I had the basic Princess insurance to cancel for any reason, and rebook at 75 per cent of what I had paid and had to do by next year.   I do not want to cruise again with this virus now but I will lose all my money if I don't cruise again!  They should at least let you sell your cruise to someone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

This is what happened to me. I chose not to sail on the February 25 sailing of the Crown Princess since my husband has high risk if he were to catch the virus. I had a Vista suite and it was over $6000, I had the basic Princess insurance to cancel for any reason, and rebook at 75 per cent of what I had paid and had to do by next year.   I do not want to cruise again with this virus now but I will lose all my money if I don't cruise again!  They should at least let you sell your cruise to someone else.

😞  Don't give up hope this may blow over and you can use your FCC. I do agree our health is more important!  

On 3/6/2020 at 9:59 PM, TNhome said:

Just wondering, those of you on Princess cruises now, have you noticed a change in prevention of disease control?  What steps is Princess making now to prevent futher spread of the corona virus?

As always, wash your hands a lot. Use the sanitizers all over the ship. Do not touch you face. Walk a long distance away from anyone looking sick or the sneezes. If you have wipes. Clean your dining table with them, salt and pepper shakers. Anything that anyone may have touched that you will touch. In your room. The toilet lever and the seat. Again, anything someone may have touched that you want to touch. 

No matter what you do on a cruise ship with people in close proximity there will be a transfer of this virus. Some people mentioned taping the vents shut, but whenever you open the door to the hallway you are inhaling air from everyone else. We have to breathe of course and we can't eat or drink with a mask on so have to remove them when dining. Even if you have every meal at a specialty restaurant where there is more distancing you are still being waited on by crew who could be infected. I know people will say you are not protected at home either, which is the case obviously but if you wear a mask when you go out, constantly use handsanitizers   and gloves, etc. you can better protect yourself. You can have your supplies delivered to home to avoid public exposure. This is not going away for at least a year if ever!  Take the precautions you need.   Whenever you go into a port again you are upping your exposure and everyone elses in that location. I forsee many countries closing their cruise terminals and we will be cruising to nowhere.

• Like 1

Hopefully this will all be over by time our August cruise time is here. I feel for all the people who are having to put up with all of the problems created by this virus. On to my main concern is the people making decisions. Decisions such as letting people who got off of the ship in Ca. that had an outbreak and then board for another cruise thus probably spreading the virus. This cruise now cancelled. The practice of transferring crew, two from one ship which had virus two more to another ship now we have two more ships that are having to do testing of these crew members. Evidently someone at Princess has their head where the sun does not shine. I realize yhat with every thing that is happening now there will be problems, delays, people disappointed. Allowing crew to be transferred from a ship with virus to two other ships, I will really have second thoughts about cruising with Princess due to this stupidity.

• Haha 1

At the time the transfers were made from the Grand to the other two ships, there was no knowledge at all about a virus case having been on board the previous Grand voyage.

And the the transfers were made at least 15 days before the CDC said the other two ships could not sail, so that notice was past what any quarantine would have been for those crew members who did not at any time show any symptoms of any illness.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I believe that this is a “new” situation.  I have no idea how they are handling it because I am not behind closed doors in their meetings but it’s a “new new”.  It’s very unfortunate but I believe that all cruise lines are watching and learning.  I personally have no problem sailing with Princess.  This was actually to be our first cruise with Princess and I have no doubt I will be using my 100% cruise credit...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

I believe that this is a “new” situation.  I have no idea how they are handling it because I am not behind closed doors in their meetings but it’s a “new new”.  It’s very unfortunate but I believe that all cruise lines are watching and learning.  I personally have no problem sailing with Princess

Your post is spot on, in my opinion.  This is a new learning situation for all of us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm also wondering what the over all experience on board will be. If the ships sail half full will they dumb down the buffets offering less? Will  some entertainment be canceled?  Will the over all energy be low key?  Will people be as outgoing looking to make friends?  We went to the supermarket yesterday and it's usually a mad house on Sunday and yesterday we didn't even wait on a long line.  We also went to the local deli for breakfast and there were only 2 other couples there. There is a counter line a mile long at this deli every day all day. Yesterday was unusual to say the least.

Those are my thoughts too...I can see staff cuts, entertainment cuts, food offering cuts and quality downgraded and much more.  Also, they could get like the airlines and start charging for things that use to be free.....want to use the gym....pay for the length of cruise, want to see shows....purchase shows for the length of the cruise....want reserved seating in MD.....pay extra....want burgers and piazza at the pool....small up charge....room service....pay for food and charge...they could just provide three basic meals a day and every thing else is extra charge....want to go to the Sky Walkers for nightly dancing...pay cover charge....this is basically what the airlines did to survive the last economic downturn.....

Edited by PrincessLuver

16 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Stupidity?

Obviously they did not know when they were transferred.

It's great to sit here and second guess after you have more facts.

It is called Monday morning quarterbacking.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, caribill said:

The FCC can be used to help pay for your already booked Princess 2021 cruises.

That would be good but cruises booked in 2021 are with Viking and Celebrity. Our Princess cruise was for this year. Not a big one but still money. However our retirement funds have taken a huge bash. I haven't dared to look at them but I know our dreams are fading. And sadly we might need to cancel cruising for a while as we won't be able to afford it. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Princess is aware of people being infected and not taking precautions this would be on them, but otherwise what are they supposed to do?  Not all cases have been severe, so with the virus sometimes presenting asymptomatic or mild means there are likely people walking around all over with it. It’s not limited to Princess or the cruise industry even though the spotlight seems to be focused on them.

• Like 3

Glad to see every one has an opinion as I did. Perhaps some wrong info on some of my statement, for that I stand corrected..  Although people in Ca. that came off a ship that had cases if virus were allowed to board for a B to B thus possibly spreading to another ship and causing that cruise to be returned to port. That is the reason for my remark about stupidity.

1 hour ago, hunt182644 said:

Glad to see every one has an opinion as I did. Perhaps some wrong info on some of my statement, for that I stand corrected..  Although people in Ca. that came off a ship that had cases if virus were allowed to board for a B to B thus possibly spreading to another ship and causing that cruise to be returned to port. That is the reason for my remark about stupidity.

Haven’t been following every ship, but could you elaborate. Ships and dates would be helpful. How would B2B cause spread to another ship?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hunt182644 said:

Hopefully this will all be over by time our August cruise time is here. I feel for all the people who are having to put up with all of the problems created by this virus. On to my main concern is the people making decisions. Decisions such as letting people who got off of the ship in Ca. that had an outbreak and then board for another cruise thus probably spreading the virus. This cruise now cancelled. The practice of transferring crew, two from one ship which had virus two more to another ship now we have two more ships that are having to do testing of these crew members. Evidently someone at Princess has their head where the sun does not shine. I realize yhat with every thing that is happening now there will be problems, delays, people disappointed. Allowing crew to be transferred from a ship with virus to two other ships, I will really have second thoughts about cruising with Princess due to this stupidity.

That's not what happened.  At all. 

PRINCESS DID NOT KNOW THERE WERE SICK PEOPLE WHO HAD BEEN ON THE PRIOR CRUISE.

No one knew that when employees were transferred to other ships.  No one knew that when the ship sailed for Hawaii.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Assuming the virus is much worse than the flu (which I believe it is), it appears to be time to take more drastic measures to stop the spread of the virus.  

I heard an interesting interview on NPR yesterday about China's response to the virus.  The WHO Doctor interviewed praised China's response, and pointed out the response was tailored to the situation in each area.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/08/813401722/who-official-says-coronavirus-containment-remains-possible

Edited by cruiserchuck

5 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah should have just posted that.

Except this is an international board and some people would not understand want "Monday morning quarterbacking" is.  What you said is more effective.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There is only one way to be assured that boarding passengers are 99.9% virus free and it is completely impractical.

Since people can have the virus and not show symptoms yet, everyone would need to be in isolation 17 days before embarkation. After a 14 day period, everyone would need to have samples taken with the results coming back within the three days left until embarkation.

There might be some false positives, so within that three day period there needs to be enough time for a second test to verify the first one.

The reason I said 99.9% instead of 100% is that there might also be some false negatives.

Anything short of this does not have a good chance of keeping the ship free of passengers with the virus.

As I said, it is impractical.

But the virus is also being spread via other methods of transportation from subway trains to Uber cars to airplanes. The cruise ships get the bad publicity. But there is just as much spreading of the virus other ways. Just look at all the cases that can be traced to one NYC lawyer.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

As always, wash your hands a lot. Use the sanitizers all over the ship. Do not touch you face. Walk a long distance away from anyone looking sick or the sneezes. If you have wipes. Clean your dining table with them, salt and pepper shakers. Anything that anyone may have touched that you will touch. In your room. The toilet lever and the seat. Again, anything someone may have touched that you want to touch. 

All that does protect you from picking up the virus from touching surfaces.

It does not protect you from being near someone on a ship, on a plane, in a theater or elsewhere who has the virus and sneezes or coughs and the virus gets on you. You may try to be away from people, but that is not always possible.

(NYC residents were advised not to get onto a crowded subway car. You can guess how practical that advice is.)

• Like 5

On 3/6/2020 at 2:48 AM, Justalone said:

Good summary.

But you left out advice to don’t cough or sneeze in your hand.  Cough on your arm/sleeve.  Use tissue and deposit it after use in a covered trash can.

Yes! I did forget that! My bad! 😮😮 Thank you for adding it! That is VERY IMPORTANT advice! Thank you so much!