PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, Debate said:

I was on the Regal princess who passed embarked and disembarked out of terminal 2 at Port Everglades 3/1 - 3/8 and wouldn't know if I hadn't seen it posted on this page. 

And therein lies the fallacy of the CDC’s laser-like focus on cruise ships. Three TSA workers in San Jose have also just tested positive. Saying that a ship is “safe” and available for cruising because two crew members who transferred from another ship tested negative for the virus is meaningless if travel to the ship is not guaranteed to be safe. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I couldn’t agree more. 

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

To cruise out of sympathy for business is the wrong reason to travel and traveling when you could be low risk but a high risk for spreading is selfish.    

That is just silly the cruise lines could care less about us  they just like our money. The people on the ship for the most part I am happy to pay them for their work but it is not my responsibility to support them. 

Edited by Reader0108598

16 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I agree. 

Anyone who thinks that people (and the media and the markets) are unnecessarily panicked about COVID-19 needs only to consider that Italy, a country where the largest single industry (about 12%) of its economy is tourism-related, has basically shut its doors.  Unnecessary travel, even within a city, is pretty much forbidden.

There is nothing unique about Italy that caused this virus to take hold there. It’s just a matter of timing. I don’t think it’s fear-mongering to say that, a month from now, whether or not a particular cruise might be cancelled may not be our biggest concern.  

We agree with your post . We are both in out 80s & very high risk because we have those underlying medical conditions . No way would we cruise until this virus is totally dead & gone .  

It may come to containment here in the USA very similar as it is in Italy  .That would place a very heavy burden on food ,water & power

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The USA will be heading down the road of the situation in Italy or at the very least the situation for anyone flying into Israel very soon in which everyone flying into the county must, no exception, self quarantine for 2 weeks. The NCAA just announced no fans in attendance for the March Madness tournament beyond families of the players and team support staff. So far NYC has said they still plan to hold the St Patrick's Day Parade next week but I can't imagine that will stick. So far Broadway, the NY Phil, Carnegie Hall and the Met Opera are business as usual with some modifications such as eliminating stage door meet and greet following performance, more Purell dispensers and so on. 

Why anyone would plan to go on a cruise now when it is hardly an essential activity seems foolish for me. As far as the passenger traveling in-between chemo treatments, I feel for her and her family but I am beyond shocked that her oncologist and her primary care physician would sign off on a patient taking such a trip.  I personally underwent 4 weeks of radiation last year and although I did maintain my normal activities going to work and so on, I was told that I needed to rest as much as possible and not to put myself in positions where I might be exposed to lots of people who might be transmitting diseases even the common cold. For me that meant going to sleep an hour earlier every night and spending my weekend relaxing in my house rather than scheduling social events, going to theater, the movies, museums which would be what I normally might do. 

• Like 4

I have not read of any cruise ship passenger or crew on ships out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) having been found with the virus.

If four people working at the terminals have the virus, they did not get it from cruise passengers or staff unless the cases of cruise passengers and staff have yet to be found.

It looks like the cruise passengers may be more in danger of catching the virus from non-ship staff at the port than the other way around

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bookmama22 said:

Why anyone would plan to go on a cruise now when it is hardly an essential activity seems foolish for me. As far as the passenger traveling in-between chemo treatments, I feel for her and her family but I am beyond shocked that her oncologist and her primary care physician would sign off on a patient taking such a trip.  I personally underwent 4 weeks of radiation last year and although I did maintain my normal activities going to work and so on, I was told that I needed to rest as much as possible and not to put myself in positions where I might be exposed to lots of people who might be transmitting diseases even the common cold. For me that meant going to sleep an hour earlier every night and spending my weekend relaxing in my house rather than scheduling social events, going to theater, the movies, museums which would be what I normally might do. 

Maybe check the facts on this?  🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well if she hadn't started chemo treatment yet,  going on a cruise in advance was equally not prudent. I would still question any physician signing off and saying this was a good plan, in my opinion. 

By the way I recommend the New Yorker article today from a cruise staffer on the Diamond Princess who remains in quarantine and what a chaotic sad directionless situation ensued, not the least of it being language issues between Japanese doctors communicating with passengers and staff. Crew members were somewhat acting as security guards to deal with passengers who refused to stay in their rooms along with having to enter quarantined rooms to act as translators between passengers and medical staff. Clearly no one ever can totally plan for this type of situation but a good start would have been monitoring the incoming email from Princess representatives in Hong Kong and the chief medical officer based in the U.S who initially took no action while the virus spread from passenger to passenger and crew member to crew member and so on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is huge. CLIA is made up of the cruise lines themselves. Think about it...the cruise lines are asking the federal government to ban cruisers over 70 unless they have medical clearance to travel. Basically, the cruise lines are admitting they cannot keep their ships COVID-19 free and wish to prevent those people most at risk from boarding their ships. 

Wow. 

OK that is BS! 😞  Just because somone is 70 they could be healthier than a 40 year old !

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We agree with your post . We are both in out 80s & very high risk because we have those underlying medical conditions . No way would we cruise until this virus is totally dead & gone .  

It may come to containment here in the USA very similar as it is in Italy  .That would place a very heavy burden on food ,water & power

Do you need the cruise line to have you get a doctors note ? Of course not! We use our common sense!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bookmama22 said:

Actually part of this proposal and I am not saying that this would actually be implemented but they will be asking for passengers to bring doctor notes stating that they are healthy enough for travel on a cruise.

Great make everyone bring one!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

If four people working at the terminals have the virus, they did not get it from cruise passengers or staff unless the cases of cruise passengers and staff have yet to be found.

The bolded is my greatest concern. Regardless of Trump’s claim that anyone who wants (or was it needs?  I think he said wants) to be tested can be, in my state there is still a tremendous shortfall of tests available, and unless someone has traveled from an infected area or come in contact with someone who has tested positive or has a respiratory illness of unknown origin, they cannot be tested due to the shortage.

We know from the Diamond Princess that people can test positive while showing no symptoms. How many symptom-less people are unknowingly spreading this virus to people who then, in turn, can’t be tested because they don’t meet one of those three criteria?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, caribill said:

I have not read of any cruise ship passenger or crew on ships out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) having been found with the virus.

If four people working at the terminals have the virus, they did not get it from cruise passengers or staff unless the cases of cruise passengers and staff have yet to be found.

It looks like the cruise passengers may be more in danger of catching the virus from non-ship staff at the port than the other way around

One of the fatalities in the U.K. was a gentleman who had taken a 'Caribbean cruise' but as far as I am aware we have not heard any more details about which cruise it was.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11102624/family-coronavirus-granddad-unable-arrange-funeral/

5 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

And unfortunately it gets worse, Canada is mulling barring all cruise ships which would effective stop the Alaska cruises.

"Most cruise ships do not fly U.S. flags.  Ships flying a non-U.S. flag must stop at a foreign port between U.S. stops, such as Mexico or Canada. If Canada is no longer a port option, ships effectively can’t get to Alaska from the U.S. without the standard stop in Vancouver."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruise-ships-us-ports-entry/5015856002/

Unless they are granted an exception, which I'm sure they will all apply for if they believe the Alaska season is still a go.  

53 minutes ago, caribill said:

You.  Are. Fearless. 

I read this earlier today and chose not to post it here. ‘Cause I was scared. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The women on the Grand Princess with stage 4 cancer was between chemo sessions.

She FaceTimed and the national news broadcasted her statements.   She seemed proud to speak about it and believed she deserved a cruise between her chemo sessions.   Hopefully she will be able to resume her treatments once she is cleared of the virus.

Well I certainly wish her well but apart from the coronavirus she could have contracted norovirus or bronchitis or pneumonia or a common cold or conjunctivitus all of which put her health at risk but everyone she would come in contact with when she would go for treatment at her infusion center. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had appt with my oncologist the other day - I am 18 months in full remission from multiple myeloma - and when I told him we were planning a long cruise, the look of horror on his face was almost comical.  I immediately added that we were cancelling and when I asked if this would be his advice, I got a resounding "YES"! 

Cannot believe that anyone in between chemo treatments would cruise, even without coronavirus!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Your statement doesn't make sense, the workers at the terminals could have been in contact with a passenger disembarking that doesn't even know they have the virus.   It goes both ways.

• Like 3