PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

The sensationalism of this thread title and the OP's first comment are worthy of today's mainstream media. It's designed to grab attention, has a strong potential to cause unnecessary panic, yet is lacking important context.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

My reason for posting was their recommendation much more than the details.....

The details are VITAL in order to understand what is being said. The cabins were left uncleaned for research and testing purposes. The virus RNA found was from dead virus, not living. These are details that cannot be ignore, or simply glanced over.

50 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I guess the point is, at the high level.....CDC says defer all cruise travel as of 2 days ago,

The way I see it, the CDC already knew that cruise ships are often the setting for infectious diseases, as stated in the report. It just so happens that they released the report two days ago, but I believe they came to the conclusion that travelers should defer cruise travel long before this report was released.

The actual report states that, "All persons should defer all cruise travel worldwide during the COVID-19 pandemic." The linked article does not include that last (underlined) portion of that sentence. The last bit of that sentence is important. The current cruise line shut-down serves that exact purpose. It defers all cruise travel. They're not going to return to service without the government's blessing, and if they do, it'll be a PR nightmare for them.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I guess the point is, at the high level.....CDC says defer all cruise travel as of 2 days ago,

The article in the first link, which is more of a summary of events, states that the CDC issued the recommendation on March 17 .... not exactly new information.

57 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, that's how I read it to. This whole thing is overblown. Surfaces were left uncleaned for the purpose of testing. And dead virus remains were found on them. Sounds like common sense. 

If a school had a known infected teacher and then they closed and asked the school not to clean the classroom the teacher was in so they could test it. And 3 weeks later they test it and find virus RNA. The conclusion is the CDC should recommend we don't have kids go to school anymore?

Unfortunately, that is probably the recommendation they would make.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The sensationalism of this thread title and the OP's first comment are worthy of today's mainstream media. It's designed to grab attention, has a strong potential to cause unnecessary panic, yet is lacking important context.

Well said.  Completely agree.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

And the US Government says do not travel internationally at all, not just by cruise ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emceejay said:

Well said.  Completely agree.

Thank you. Fortunately for him, they've merged his thread with this one instead of deleting it, so now my first paragraph is no longer fitting, but I stand behind everything else I said.

Since this has now been moved to the Princess boards, and we don't cruise Princess, I'll mosey on back to the Carnival forum. 🏃‍♂️

5 hours ago, caribill said:

And the US Government says do not travel internationally at all, not just by cruise ship.

The Australian governement has banned all overseas travel for Australian citizens as of 2 days ago.

I seriously doubt any cruise ships will be running for at least another 6 months after what has happened.

Interesting listening to Bill Gates tonight on CNN. He predicted a pandemic 5  years ago. Says we need to keep this self isolation up for about 10 more weeks. Atleast my take on this 

Edited by dog

35 minutes ago, dog said:

Interesting listening to Bill Gates tonight on CNN. He predicted a pandemic 5  years ago. Says we need to keep this self isolation up for about 10 more weeks. Atleast my take on this 

I heard Gates' TED talk from 5 years ago.  It was eerily prescient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-hit-cruise-ship-docks-in-perth-following-medical-emergency-c-76596

Looks Australia is taking all the passengers off then flying them home to Germany.

7NEWS understands an elderly man with a life-threatening illness was removed from the ship and taken to Fiona Stanley Hospital.

The ship’s remaining passengers are still on board.

At least four ambulances remain stationed outside the ship

So 12  days after dis-embarking the Crown on the 16th March we get an email from Princess in forming us that a guest has tested positive for Covid-19. What annoys me about this is why havnt we been told more information about this passenger, where the passenger lives, when was the passenger tested, were they showing symptoms when they were on board and what part of the ship was their accommodation.

Its a bit late telling us that we should self isolate when we have been home for 12 days, so maybe the ambulances we saw when  we  came off the ship were there for a virus victim after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

13 hours ago, Cash123 said:

So 12  days after dis-embarking the Crown on the 16th March we get an email from Princess in forming us that a guest has tested positive for Covid-19. What annoys me about this is why havnt we been told more information about this passenger, where the passenger lives, when was the passenger tested, were they showing symptoms when they were on board and what part of the ship was their accommodation.

Straightly on a need to know basis due to privacy rights. It is what it is.

• Like 2

Look at the Johns Hopkins map of COVID-19. The earth looks like a festering Petri dish. 😥 It's not just the cruise ships, but they're easy to focus on because you have the concentration of people floating together. New Orleans still had Mardi Gras parades, people crowding to watch, and voila, a veritable explosion of COVID-19 shortly thereafter, no cruise ship involved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Guess you pre test everyone getting on the ship, or get a vaccine and hope the virus doesn't mutate.

Useless for totally preventing the virus from getting onto the ship as you can have passengers without any symptoms pass the normal health checks.

And even if you use the new 15 minute response test kit, it will not detect the virus in someone who is infected but not enough to be detectable. (And guess who will pay for such extensive testing.)

On 3/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, Cash123 said:

Its a bit late telling us that we should self isolate when we have been home for 12 days, so maybe the ambulances we saw when  we  came off the ship were there for a virus victim after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

There's a fair chance the passenger from the Crown Princess who tested positive, contracted the virus after he/she disembarked from the ship. If the person had the virus while on the ship there would be dozens of former passengers infected, or maybe more than a hundred.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, megsie said:

Looks like Sun Princess can be added to the Princess list. One in every 7 positives in Australia are from cruiseships. 

Tasmanian public health services overnight on March 27 were informed that a separate Tasmanian case involved a passenger who was on board the Sun Princess cruise ship that disembarked from Sydney on March 19.

If the passenger boarded the Sun Princess with the virus, it would have become known much earlier and there would be a high number of cases linked to the ship. It is unlikely the passenger contracted the virus in the ports of call - they were all Australian domestic ports. If he/she did, once again, there would have been other cases reported from the ship. Did the passenger contract the virus after disembarking in Sydney on 19th March?  

Consider the length of incubation. Here is a quote

Currently, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, the incubation period for the novel coronavirus is somewhere between 2 to 14 days after exposure.

According to a recent report, more than 97 percent of people who contract SARS-CoV-2 show symptoms within 11.5 days of exposure. The average incubation period seems to be around 5 days. However, this estimate may change as we learn more about the virus.

The Tasmanian health officials are taking the matter of the Sun Princess passenger seriously, as they should.  They have asked for the ship’s manifest and when they receive it will check or contact any Tasmanian’s who had cruised. The positive case was diagnosed interstate and not in Tasmania and the passenger disembarked  on March 19th in Sydney.

Hopefully it is a one of but the Tasmanian authorities are thoroughly checking just in case. More than half of Tasmania’s positive cases are from cruiseships.

And sadly as reported today another cruiseship Covid-19 death of a lady in Queensland from Ruby Princess. 

Unfortunately, a third of Australia's deaths from corona virus are linked to cruise ships. But on a good note because of self isolation by the majority of all the population, the level of positive cases although still increasing is now at a significant lower rate. 

Edited by megsie

You can now add the Sea Princess to the list with covid19.  We received an email today from Princess telling us that a passenger had been diagnosed with covid 19 but was only contagious on disembarkation day (18 March).  Due to the delay in being informed it is possible that this was an overseas passenger.  Also probably someone who didn't tell the ship they were unwell but just wanted to get off the ship without any hassle.  We decided to self isolate when we got off the ship, although the Captain said there was no need as we had only visited Australian ports.

1 hour ago, Sama11 said:

You can now add the Sea Princess to the list with covid19.  We received an email today from Princess telling us that a passenger had been diagnosed with covid 19 but was only contagious on disembarkation day (18 March).  Due to the delay in being informed it is possible that this was an overseas passenger.  Also probably someone who didn't tell the ship they were unwell but just wanted to get off the ship without any hassle.  We decided to self isolate when we got off the ship, although the Captain said there was no need as we had only visited Australian ports.

Amazing that Princess knows so much more about the virus that they can be absolutely certain when the person became contagious.🙄

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, npcl said:

Amazing that Princess knows so much more about the virus that they can be absolutely certain when the person became contagious.🙄

5 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Right ...shame on them! lol

We were on the sea princess as well and got the letter from Princess.  They were informing us of the notification received from the NSW ministry of health. That notification letter was attached to our email.  It was that organization that stated the person was infectious only on the day of disembarkation.  It was NOT Princess!  

• Like 2