PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

Sorry, I should have said about the attached letter from NSW Health. I didn't  expect anyone to blame Princess.  I was surprised about the 'infectious' part as well.  NSW Health  can only be using the information they were provided with.

Anne

I have seen about as many explanations of when you are contagious as there are contributors to this and many other posts.  I am grateful that personal circumstances kept my wife and I from cruising this winter/spring.  None the less I am concerned for all of my fellow travelers safety.  Anyone that cruised or is still cruising with ships that recently had a positive patient need to be cautious.  We all need to be concerned for our own health as well as all of those we come into contact with.  When this subsides, I hope that the transmission chains can be studied to help us all cruise safely going forward.

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I have seen about as many explanations of when you are contagious as there are contributors to this and many other posts.  I am grateful that personal circumstances kept my wife and I from cruising this winter/spring.  None the less I am concerned for all of my fellow travelers safety.  Anyone that cruised or is still cruising with ships that recently had a positive patient need to be cautious.  We all need to be concerned for our own health as well as all of those we come into contact with.  When this subsides, I hope that the transmission chains can be studied to help us all cruise safely going forward.

The same can be said for those traveling by aircraft, bus, train or any other place such as malls, stores, etc., where people gather in confined spaces. Many people traveled by aircraft from where there were out breaks of COVID-19 to other places and these travelers were not screened.  Just be careful were you go, no matter the mode of transport, and be aware of the symptoms and what to look out for.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The same can be said for those traveling by aircraft, bus, train or any other place such as malls, stores, etc., where people gather in confined spaces. Many people traveled by aircraft from where there were out breaks of COVID-19 to other places and these travelers were not screened.  Just be careful were you go, no matter the mode of transport, and be aware of the symptoms and what to look out for.

Quite so. In Australia we have some clusters of infections. A 'society' wedding reception at Stanwell Tops south of Sydney resulted in 39 infections: one of the guests has just arrived from a ski holiday at Aspen. A birthday party at a restaurant in Noosa was also attended by someone who had just returned from Aspen: result numerous infections. The same happened after a cocktail party held by the exclusive Geelong Grammar School: some had just returned from Aspen.

All of these events had a group of people in a confined space for a few hours, resulting in a spread of the virus. Obviously on as cruise ship people are confined for many days. The result is a wider spread of the infection. There is a similar result in nursing homes.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Quite so. In Australia we have some clusters of infections. A 'society' wedding reception at Stanwell Tops south of Sydney resulted in 39 infections: one of the guests has just arrived from a ski holiday at Aspen. A birthday party at a restaurant in Noosa was also attended by someone who had just returned from Aspen: result numerous infections. The same happened after a cocktail party held by the exclusive Geelong Grammar School: some had just returned from Aspen.

All of these events had a group of people in a confined space for a few hours, resulting in a spread of the virus. Obviously on as cruise ship people are confined for many days. The result is a wider spread of the infection. There is a similar result in nursing homes.

I think that Aspen figures in the current major Barossa Valley shut down that happened over the weekend that has closed business and schools in the major area. They are trying to keep the wineries working to complete their harvest immediately. And maybe this was media talk but they did also mention that some had just come from Ruby and we all know that sad tale. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I think that Aspen figures in the current major Barossa Valley shut down that happened over the weekend that has closed business and schools in the major area. They are trying to keep the wineries working to complete their harvest immediately. And maybe this was media talk but they did also mention that some had just come from Ruby and we all know that sad tale. 

I don't think the American tour group that several members test positive had anything to do with the Ruby Princess (unless they were on an earlier cruise). Authorities have announced that anyone who visited the Lyndoch Winery after 14th March needs to isolate, indicating that the group was there on that date. The Ruby Princess cruise was from the 8th March to the 19th March.

The Barossa has 34 cases and are directly linked to 2 groups of tourists one from the USA and the other from Switzerland. I don't think Ruby was involved there.

But the numbers from cruise ships are still increasing unfortunately.

2 hours ago, megsie said:

The Barossa has 34 cases and are directly linked to 2 groups of tourists one from the USA and the other from Switzerland. I don't think Ruby was involved there.

But the numbers from cruise ships are still increasing unfortunately.

Yes, but that is because they can observe the people on cruise ships. In other scenarios such as people arriving by aircraft they are here one moment breathing on someone and then off somewhere else to breath on someone else and not noticed.

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Yes, but that is because they can observe the people on cruise ships. In other scenarios such as people arriving by aircraft they are here one moment breathing on someone and then off somewhere else to breath on someone else and not noticed.

The problem with the cruise cases here in Australia none of the cases are contained on the ships they are in the community, hopefully self isolating as directed. Of course with the exception of the ships' crews and those on the Artenia. Sadly 3 crew, one critical have been evacuated from the Ruby today.

Just about all cases here have been from or linked to overseas travel (air and sea). Mostly from Europe and USA, surprisingly more than from Asia.

All flight passengers returning now have forced guarded isolation for 14 days in city hotels. Most of the population now is self isolating at home to curb any community acquired cases that are minimal at present.

We are hoping this all makes a difference.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Five of 6 positives in SA today from Ruby. 

Numbers from Ovation, Voyager and Solstice are on the rise still.

Queensland statistics have 96% cases linked to or from overseas travel and nationally it is still 1 in 7 from cruise ships. 

Hopefully as the 14 day isolation times for sea and air travellers come to an end, the new positive cases will start to reduce. 

Edited by megsie
  • Like 1

Don't panic. The fact is that you are still far more likely to die in a car accident or die from the regular flu than from this coronavirus. (globally between 290,000 and 600,000 people die every year of the normal flu) The sky is not falling. We have these panics every 5 years or so. Remember SARS, H1N1, Zika and MERS. The coronavirus is not even particularly lethal compared to some of the previously mentioned diseases. It also does not spread as easily as the common flu. 

If I had previous health concerns, I would be leery of travelling to that part of the world right now, but as far as worrying about it very much any place else, there are far more dangerous and statistically probable things to worry about.

Wash your hands. Eat healthy food. Work out. Sleep properly. Work on your stress level, and look both ways when you cross the street. Get a flu shot and keep your vaccines updated. Just the increased blood pressure from worrying about this will probably impact your health far more than the coronavirus ever will.

The media loves a good panic. Read what the real experts are saying, not what social media is spouting off about. You can mock me later, and bring this post up to remind me how wrong I was, but if this so called pandemic is still a problem in two months, I will be very much surprised.

I guess you were surprised!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, t&atravel said:

We were on the sea princess as well and got the letter from Princess.  They were informing us of the notification received from the NSW ministry of health. That notification letter was attached to our email.  It was that organization that stated the person was infectious only on the day of disembarkation.  It was NOT Princess!  

Amazing that Princess knows so much more about the virus that they can be absolutely certain when the person became contagious.🙄

19 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Right ...shame on them! lol

My oringinal  post was tongue in cheek! 🙂

. Princess gets blamed for everything! The people infected don't know at first themselves how would Princess know? I very much agree

Edited by Reader0108598

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A case could be made for Australia to never allow large cruise ships again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In fairness, part of the Ruby Princess was a bungle by the NSW Government. On the other hand, Covid was obviously very "effective" on this cruise. Currently Sydney has several large cruise ships just off shore. We have rendered aid to sick crew but they have been issued notice to depart to their home base and they are refusing. Because it is summer here, well, end of,  and ships were relocated here after Asia then we have more just hanging around. And people are very wary of them berthing, even just for supplies. 

On 3/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Another way to view this is 1000’s of times more people have been infected without ever setting foot on a cruise ship than has been on the ships. The number of cases worldwide clearly bare that out.
Then consider for each group of cruise ship passengers where it’s determined someone is infected, everyone onboard is typically tested, quarantined and or treated (at the expense of the cruise company). However for everyone else who was infected while riding a subway, bus, tram, airplane, attending a ball game or other large gathering EVERY one of them walk away and carry the infection to their family/friends and countless others before they are ill enough to seek medical attention. Many never become ill but still infect many others who in turn infect countless others. 
So I ask you which is worse for society as a whole? And which actually has a “wider spread of infection”?

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 5:29 AM, Charles4515 said:

A case could be made for Australia to never allow large cruise ships again.

Lol. What about shutting every commuter bus system, subway, ball game venue and shoping center? Can you not make the same argument giving more have become infected there than on every ship at sea? Especially considering those infection were not determined until many days/weeks later after each one has mingled with countless others and spread it far more in the general public. Think about it. 

• Like 2

This whole thing is a head-scratcher.  I thought all the US-owned cruise ships stopped sailing for 30 days.  So how do Coral Princess, and TWO HAL ships come to have another crisis on their hands?  I got it when it happened to Diamond, but how do they explain how they STILL have active sailings amidst a global pandemic, and how does anyone ever cruise again when one had 4 onboard fatalities?  I have to admit I thought this ended with the Diamond, and the news over the weekend was just shocking...

On 4/1/2020 at 8:10 AM, gottagocit said:

Then consider for each group of cruise ship passengers where it’s determined someone is infected, everyone onboard is typically tested, quarantined and or treated (at the expense of the cruise company). 

That would be a great suggestion, that when someone is infected everyone onboard would be tested.  But that did not happen on any of the ships that docked in the US, either California or Florida.  For the Grand Princess the Vice President and the cruise line said they would all be tested before leaving quarantine, but that did not happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rich_cathybrock said:

This whole thing is a head-scratcher.  I thought all the US-owned cruise ships stopped sailing for 30 days.  So how do Coral Princess, and TWO HAL ships come to have another crisis on their hands?  I got it when it happened to Diamond, but how do they explain how they STILL have active sailings amidst a global pandemic, and how does anyone ever cruise again when one had 4 onboard fatalities?  I have to admit I thought this ended with the Diamond, and the news over the weekend was just shocking...

They were in transit. You cannot just stop somewhere in the middle of the sea and boot passengers and crew off.

• Like 2

They were in transit. You cannot just stop somewhere in the middle of the sea and boot passengers and crew off.

It didn’t end with Diamond because there were sailings that departed after Diamond. That should not have happened. Then those sailings stayed in transit because ports refused to take them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It didn’t end with Diamond because there were sailings that departed after Diamond. That should not have happened. Then those sailings stayed in transit because ports refused to take them.

Actually the Pacific Princess started its voyage on January 5 for a 111-day World Cruise.