Good time to buy Carnival shares for the perks? And cheap cruises?

Harry Peterson

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 6:51 AM, Harry Peterson said:

The outbreak of Coronavirus has hit an already weak Carnival share price:

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/c/carnival-plc-ordinary-usd1.66

For anyone considering buying, this could be an opportunity, though there's room obviously for further downward movement, depending on events.

I sold all the shares I held at the recent high of £37

I would consider myself an idiot to buy any at this point.   The COVID-19 situation is just going to get worse imho and the impact to ALL cruise lines not just Carnival will be nothing short of devastating imho.

Both RCI and Carnival have already put out profit/earnings warnings.

I personally believe the Carnival share will go a great deal lower as the year progresses.

A great opportunity to invest again is sure to present itself later on provided the authorities change the restrictive and unattractive quarantining measures that are currently enforced for COVID-19.  Until they do people will likely cancel their cruises in significant numbers (I'm sure they already are doing) and will give cruising a wide berth for the foreseeable.

I will keep an eye on the situation but honestly I think the next 6 months to 12 months is going to be a huge indicator for the share price

11 hours ago, DevonianCruiser said:

I do yes. Bought for the dividend and share bounce back potential but who knows eh.

I imagine they will bounce back eventually, unfortunately as Covid19 progresses, there is potential for further falls still to come. 

I might dust off my check book if they get below £20.

I've probably asked this before (so apologies for repeating myself), but what benefits do you get? I've seen OBC mentioned, is that  awatrded on a percentage scale related to the number of shares or just a flat fee ?

And... that question.. what's the entry level for this? Are we talking 1,00 shares or does it have to be more?

1 minute ago, Monorail Orange said:

I've probably asked this before (so apologies for repeating myself), but what benefits do you get? I've seen OBC mentioned, is that  awatrded on a percentage scale related to the number of shares or just a flat fee ?

And... that question.. what's the entry level for this? Are we talking 1,00 shares or does it have to be more?

You need to buy 100 shares and you receive £150 for a min 13nt cruise, and £75 for I think a min 5nt cruise. You also get similar OBC for all other Carnival lines including Princess, HAL, Costa etc.

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You need to buy 100 shares and you receive £150 for a min 13nt cruise, and £75 for I think a min 5nt cruise. You also get similar OBC for all other Carnival lines including Princess, HAL, Costa etc.

7+ is £60.00 and below 7 is £30.00.

I would also add that you get the benefit on any Carnival group. Details here.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

Also note that you can only have one benefit per cabin.

You get more on a dollar based ship such as Cunard and Princess where you get $250 for 14+ days

You can also get military benefit on top if you qualify

Brian

Edited by BrianI

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, terrierjohn said:

I imagine they will bounce back eventually, unfortunately as Covid19 progresses, there is potential for further falls still to come. 

I might dust off my check book if they get below £20.

Totally agree.  I think a lot of shares will take a real dive due to the virus.  Anything travel related. 

If you are considering Carnival shares then I recommend you keep an eye on the declared "Short Positions".  These are reverse investments, i.e the companies are generally betting that the share price will fall, not rise and it can be a good indicator of where the share price might go.   

All short positions by law must be declared to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the FCA maintain a daily and historical list of all such short positions against every company on the stock market.   It is in the form of an Excel Spreadsheet and can be downloaded from the FCA website here:

http://www.fca.org.uk/your-fca/short-positions-daily-update

Remember this updates daily so keep an eye on it.

There are 2 worksheets.  The first are the "Current Disclosures".  These are the latest positions declared (usually from yesterday).  Search for Carnival in Column B to find any short positions.  Today I can see there is one by Blackrock Investments.

The second sheet is the historical list of all previous and currently open short positions.  Again just search for Carnival (or any other share you are interested in) in Column B.

If you already knew all of this then please forgive me for teaching you to suck eggs, otherwise I hope it is helpful to you.

ATB

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

£24.70 at the moment

All travel and leisure stocks are falling - no surprise 

And probably still further falls to come. 

Just a question of timing, though, because at some point, perhaps quite soon, the virus will become commonplace, across the world, and will cease to have much impact on cruises or other holiday bookings.

When that point is reached, the price will rise again - but timing is always impossible to get right.

21 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Sorry to ask probably obvious questions, but whats the best route to purchase shares?

I've had a bit of a look on the t'interwebs and it seems a lot of sites come attached with monthly fees etc. - which is a going to quickly eat into a small investment.

Here in the uk  some members use

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares

Hargreaves Lansdown do not charge, all you do after full payment is made is email a pdf copy of the   online   statement with your account number blanked out to shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com with your name, cruise details and ship and they apply the benefit. and supply an updated cruise confirmation.

Edited by Pennbank

22 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Sorry to ask probably obvious questions, but whats the best route to purchase shares?

I've had a bit of a look on the t'interwebs and it seems a lot of sites come attached with monthly fees etc. - which is a going to quickly eat into a small investment.

I use Halifax share dealing, and you just pay a small transaction fee plus damp duty. You don't need a Halifax bank account.

Same process as Hargreaves Lansdown to claim obc