Long Time Cruiser First Time Marella

More or less on impulse this morning, my wife and I booked a cruise for April with Marella.

A bit of a simplistic question really, but to any reading this who have experienced P&O what can I expect to see regarding the cruise experience.

As you can probably gather I almost exclusively travel with P&O but my decision to opt for Marella is due to positive conversations we have had with those who have used Marella previously, and not to the debate raging currently about the perceived drop in standards at P&O.

So we've taken the plunge and decided to see what Marella can offer.

I'm personally attracted to the all inclusive aspect, which although my wife and I could never be described as big drinkers, still meant that you had to factor in your bar bill to your overall cost.

Anyway, have we made a wise decision.

Thanks in anticipation.

I would always say go with an open mind and make up your own mind.  I find there seems to people who only stick to one cruise line and think all others are inferior but, IMO, all cruise lines have good and bad points. Not sure which ship you are on or itinerary but we find Marella and P&O to be similar in many ways.  All inclusive is good in that you don't have to worry about your bar bill or tips (although we still tip who we want to).  Food is fairly similar although the pay restaurants are more expensive on Marella. Entertainment is better on Marella IMO and the staff are fabulous, so friendly. We also like the itineraries as P&O seem to stick to the same ports. Also Marella only have 1 sea day per week which we prefer. Just enjoy......

10 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

I would always say go with an open mind and make up your own mind.  I find there seems to people who only stick to one cruise line and think all others are inferior but, IMO, all cruise lines have good and bad points. Not sure which ship you are on or itinerary but we find Marella and P&O to be similar in many ways.  All inclusive is good in that you don't have to worry about your bar bill or tips (although we still tip who we want to).  Food is fairly similar although the pay restaurants are more expensive on Marella. Entertainment is better on Marella IMO and the staff are fabulous, so friendly. We also like the itineraries as P&O seem to stick to the same ports. Also Marella only have 1 sea day per week which we prefer. Just enjoy......

That seems reassuring.

Yes, I am very much going with an open mind. Your point about only one sea day in a seven night cruise is  a valid one, and if I'm honest, the itineraries on similar fly cruises with P&O I've been to many times.

Anyway, as stated the cruise is booked now, sixty days and counting.

The main difference you'll notice is the more laid back feel to Marella. Although there is dress to impress there arent any true formal nights like p and o. Also only one sea day either at start or end usually. Sure you'll have great time. 👍🙂

I think it will depend on whether you cruise mainly on P&O's larger ships or smaller ships.  I have only sailed once with Marella on Discovery 2 and felt the on-board experience had more similarities to Azura than perhaps Oriana/Aurora/Arcadia.

One tip re the all-inclusive drinks.  If you drink spirits, as for it by name (e.g Gordons Gin) rather than just "Gin and Tonic" because I found if you didn't, they gave you a cheap and nasty house gin that I have never heard of...