South American Cruise question

pbrady

On the cruise from Buenos Aires, Argentina to San Antonio, Chile is there a better side of the ship to book?  Seems the starboard side will face land the entire cruise & port side will face the ocean.  Does anyone know if one side will have better views or any other reason to book one side over the other?

Thank you for any input!

7 minutes ago, pbrady said:

On the cruise from Buenos Aires, Argentina to San Antonio, Chile is there a better side of the ship to book?  Seems the starboard side will face land the entire cruise & port side will face the ocean.  Does anyone know if one side will have better views or any other reason to book one side over the other?

Thank you for any input!

We did the cruise from Buenos Aires and were on the port side.  It doesn't make a lot of difference.  At Cape Horn the ship does a 360 so everyone sees it.

Probably the Starboard would be best for BA to Chile.  Be sure to spend some days in BA prior to the cruise.  Also, have some beef empanadas in Argentina and some crab empanadas in Chile. Wonderful

This is a wonderful cruise.

We have chosen starboard, but we know you're not always close enough to land to see much.  No matter where you are, you can always go up on the top deck to see glaciers etc.

I agree with going early to BA.  We want to see the Iguazu Falls.

We sailed from Chile to BA and were on Port side.   With the exception of  going through the Fjords we were too far out at sea to see anything.   During the Fjord portion both sides of the ship gave great views.    When visiting Cape Horn really didn't matter.   They stopped and rotated in one direction and then rotated in the opposite direction so both sides could get a great view.  

6 hours ago, pbrady said:

Thank you for any input!

For your sailing direction, the starboard side will get the views of the 5 glaciers that line the Beagle Channel.  For you, I believe that this will occur when you sail out of Ushuaia and head west.  They are beautiful but the ship does not rotate to give everyone views of it.

Be sure to look at the Celebrity Today for the approximate times that the ship will sail past each glacier.  In your case, it should be in the early evening.

256A44E3-80A1-48A9-BDF3-8AF409FBCC2F.jpeg

Hollanda Glacier, Dec 31 2016

Edited by mahdnc

29 minutes ago, pbrady said:

Thank you for all the information!!  I hope to book this shortly.

If you book for the Mar 1 sailing, there are some amazing deals to be had.  Maybe you can't drop everything and go, but it would be great if you could!  This cruise and the two following it have been on the exciting deals that are announced on Tuesdays, for several weeks.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

We just did San Antonio to BA on Eclipse.  Out cabin was corner aft starboard side.  I agree that the port vs starboard discussion for this cruise is not meaningful.  By the way much of our cruise was rainy, misty and foggy with high winds,  If you get the same weather you will not see too much anyway.  We also missed two ports.  Hopefully it will be much better for you!

20 hours ago, cb at sea said:

When you're sailing, you're not close enough to really see anything.....and the open decks provide a 360 view of anything you may miss from your balcony.

Have you sailed this itinerary?!? At times you are so close to the fjords you might be able to jump from your balcony to land with a running start. You also pass by glaciers and are close to land while going around the horn. I spent hours on my balcony watching the beautiful scenery during this cruise. 

DADC788F-B7EF-4555-A5E9-DBA2A9EC63AB.jpeg

1904959B-0B7B-4138-A0A9-87C696C3D8A7.jpeg

5FF55D99-830E-4793-861C-18B0F27F4C4D.jpeg

6F67E666-A970-4FAC-A058-84101A157BEB.jpeg

Edited by Gonzo70
  • Like 1

Not sure what focal length I used on these pics.  I did have 2 lenses.  28-135 and 70-300.  Most of the time, I was using 28-135 when passing by ice formations and animals on the ice.   Penguins were taken on deck 4 as I recall and the other iceberg from the pool deck.

Have a great cruise!