VERY long Seaside Review: 1/18/20 sailing, YC, with YC Pool Cabana review and a stop at Ocean Cay :)

eastoftheboston

We had a cabana last year on SS but only got the cooler each day.  Nothing else other than chocolate ice cream bars to room one day but I think we are in the minority.

Of our three YC trips, two had kid issues but one trip was really only time a couple hours. The other had extended family with Octomom and it was a train wreck everywhere they were at whether lounge, pool, restaurant, or public areas.

I doubt they'd go 18 and over.  The issues with Kids have been aged roughly 3-7 years old.

One other thing I wanted to add to my review:

Breakfast in the YC restaurant, the waffles are basically Eggos. Our waiter warned us when we tried to order them, and strongly suggested we choose something else. If you’re expecting beligian waffles, make sure you adjust your expectations.

Hey gang,

Despite this being our third MSC voyage, first two on SS, this one on Meraviglia, I can't recall on the Western Caribbean 7 ni itinerary (SD,Ocho, GC, Coz,SD, OC), the first Sea Day is Gala night and second sea day is formal night, with Gala being fancier than Formal, is that right? I want to make sure we've got this down this time, they take it seriously on MSC, so we want to ensure we've got the flick! 

Edited by BoundForSea

13 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Hey gang,

Despite this being our third MSC voyage, first two on SS, this one on Meraviglia, I can't recall on the Western Caribbean 7 ni itinerary (SD,Ocho, GC, Coz,SD, OC), the first Sea Day is Gala night and second sea day is formal night, with Gala being fancier than Formal, is that right? I want to make sure we've got this down this time, they take it seriously on MSC, so we want to ensure we've got the flick! 

The daily program just called each sea day's dinner dress code "elegant."
You can find those newsletters here:

Have a great trip!

EastoftheBoston, thank you for your great review.  We will be on the Seaside later this year and have room 16003 that will be next to the one that you had.  You mentioned that you expected no foot traffic.  I thought there would be an entrance to the Top Sail Lounge in that area, but apparently not.  Is the entrance on the other side and how did you go from your room to the Top Sail?  The drawing is unclear to me as to where one enters.  I ask this question as one in our room has some difficulty walking.  

13 hours ago, deepwater said:

EastoftheBoston, thank you for your great review.  We will be on the Seaside later this year and have room 16003 that will be next to the one that you had.  You mentioned that you expected no foot traffic.  I thought there would be an entrance to the Top Sail Lounge in that area, but apparently not.  Is the entrance on the other side and how did you go from your room to the Top Sail?  The drawing is unclear to me as to where one enters.  I ask this question as one in our room has some difficulty walking.  

Hi Deepwater. There is no door directly to the topsail lounge at the end of the hall. There is for the hallway on the other side of the ship though. 

From 16003 to the topsail, you walk down a few cabins, around 16015 there's a door where you can access the central hallway and then work your way back to the topsail lounge. The door isn't really indicated very well on any deck plan I've seen, but it's nothing hidden, it's an obvious big glass door, and there are bathrooms there, along with a staircase up to deck 18.

On our cruise, coincidentally, there was a woman in 16003 who also had difficulty walking. I would see her and her husband often sitting in the lounge, and she would slow dance with him there, but used a wheelchair to get back and forth to the room. Her butler or the room steward often pushed her. They left the folded up wheelchair outside in the hallway whenever it wasn't in use, and no one ever disturbed it, and the hallway is wide enough that it never impeded our path in the slightest (the hallways in the YC feel wider than on the other passenger decks, not sure if it's the case or just my perception of it). 

Having stayed in 16001, after hearing the noises coming from the topsail crew area, I wished I had been in 16003 instead. No noise, and almost no one walking by the cabin! 

I hope you have a great cruise.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, eastoftheboston said:

I forgot to add, we took a tour of the thermal area in the spa since we had access. It was beautiful on the tour. Stunning, really. Except whenever we tried to use it, it was an overflowing sea of humanity that smelled like sweat and suntan lotion. I really wish we figured out when the quiet times were, or maybe there should be a reservations process or limit to the number of people allowed in there. If it wasn't so crowded, it would be an exceptional experience. So check out the spa, and ask about the quiet times! 

Thank you so much!

Love your review.

Leaving my family and home and sailing for the third time on the Seaside YC with my mom in two weeks (she loves the YC vs. Haven).

We, too, always get a cabana for the week and love it.  We are extremely busy during "real" life that we just love to relax, nap, read, eat and drink with our shade and, also like you, it's nice to have it all ready for you and set when you go up to the area.

However, after reading your review, I NEVER knew we could order from the YC restaurant lunch menu. I guess thinking about it, there would not be any reason not too do so but never even thought about it.  Sometimes I couldn't find anything I wanted for lunch, and this would be a nice option.  Thank you for this information.

Our routine is that I get up early and go to the gym and hit the sauna immediately after in the spa.  I go to the TopSail Lounge get her some breakfast items and they fill my large cup with ice so I can put in the cold pressed coffee that was in my fridge overnight, then bring to cabin. I get showered off, put on bathing suit and we hit the spa from about 9 am - 12/1 pm.  We then go up to the cabana until about 5/6 (usually eat between 7/8). The spa really wasn't too crowded that time of day, at least for our sailings.

Our last cruise, we stayed on the ship for the full week.  Just did our above routine and hung out at night in TopSail. I like a little more action at night and sail NCL with my family that has a great nightlife but for my mom/me this is fine.  This upcoming trip in two weeks, we will be doing the same but getting off in Ocean Cay, where we rented a cabana.

Were the cabanas being utilized in the YC area of Ocean Cay?   Were you able to see the island from the Port side or does it dock with Starboard side being able to have full view?

Did you do any specialty? We do Butchers Cut since included in being Platinum (we were automatically made Platinum since platinum with NCL and diamond with RCCL).

Love the pictures and review.  Thank you again.

3 minutes ago, js said:

Thank you so much!

Love your review.

Leaving my family and home and sailing for the third time on the Seaside YC with my mom in two weeks (she loves the YC vs. Haven).

We, too, always get a cabana for the week and love it.  We are extremely busy during "real" life that we just love to relax, nap, read, eat and drink with our shade and, also like you, it's nice to have it all ready for you and set when you go up to the area.

However, after reading your review, I NEVER knew we could order from the YC restaurant lunch menu. I guess thinking about it, there would not be any reason not too do so but never even thought about it.  Sometimes I couldn't find anything I wanted for lunch, and this would be a nice option.  Thank you for this information.

Our routine is that I get up early and go to the gym and hit the sauna immediately after in the spa.  I go to the TopSail Lounge get her some breakfast items and they fill my large cup with ice so I can put in the cold pressed coffee that was in my fridge overnight, then bring to cabin. I get showered off, put on bathing suit and we hit the spa from about 9 am - 12/1 pm.  We then go up to the cabana until about 5/6 (usually eat between 7/8). The spa really wasn't too crowded that time of day, at least for our sailings.

Our last cruise, we stayed on the ship for the full week.  Just did our above routine and hung out at night in TopSail. I like a little more action at night and sail NCL with my family that has a great nightlife but for my mom/me this is fine.  This upcoming trip in two weeks, we will be doing the same but getting off in Ocean Cay, where we rented a cabana.

Were the cabanas being utilized in the YC area of Ocean Cay?   Were you able to see the island from the Port side or does it dock with Starboard side being able to have full view?

Did you do any specialty? We do Butchers Cut since included in being Platinum (we were automatically made Platinum since platinum with NCL and diamond with RCCL).

Hi JS,

It's possible you didn't know you could order from the restaurant menu because you got up to the cabana too late? If you said you would arrive by 12 or 1pm, when they brought us the menus from the restaurant, I think we had said we were hoping to order around 1 or 1:30, but they said they only had the ability to put in the orders so they'd be ready by 1 (maybe the restuarant closes early for lunch?). I didn't ask why, I just ordered earlier than I normally would have. 

The day we were on Ocean Cay, every cabana except one was rented, at least they all had the reserved signs on them. The one furthest from the YC restaurant was the only one that didn't have a reserved sign on it and was clearly being used by the staff to stash stuff during the day LOL. All the others were reserved, but they weren't all actually being used, not sure why people weren't in them after they paid for them, but they were set up to be used. The cabanas are nice! they have a ceiling fan, and cushioned couches and chairs etc. out front there are a couple of loungers and floating mats to use too, and while the butlers serve everyone on the beach, they are definitely more attentive to the cabanas.

And Starboard cabins look out onto Ocean Cay. Port side you see the sea. My room was port side. The outside area in front of the topsail lounge I think was the best viewing spot for the lighthouse show. I guess maybe the front of the pool deck would be good too, but you don't have people serving you drinks there at that time of night!

We didn't do specialty dining, we usually do. I'm surprised we were able to resist the SEVERAL times we were approached to book a meal in one of them! 

Have a great trip! 

12 minutes ago, eastoftheboston said:

Hi JS,

It's possible you didn't know you could order from the restaurant menu because you got up to the cabana too late? If you said you would arrive by 12 or 1pm, when they brought us the menus from the restaurant, I think we had said we were hoping to order around 1 or 1:30, but they said they only had the ability to put in the orders so they'd be ready by 1 (maybe the restuarant closes early for lunch?). I didn't ask why, I just ordered earlier than I normally would have. 

The day we were on Ocean Cay, every cabana except one was rented, at least they all had the reserved signs on them. The one furthest from the YC restaurant was the only one that didn't have a reserved sign on it and was clearly being used by the staff to stash stuff during the day LOL. All the others were reserved, but they weren't all actually being used, not sure why people weren't in them after they paid for them, but they were set up to be used. The cabanas are nice! they have a ceiling fan, and cushioned couches and chairs etc. out front there are a couple of loungers and floating mats to use too, and while the butlers serve everyone on the beach, they are definitely more attentive to the cabanas.

And Starboard cabins look out onto Ocean Cay. Port side you see the sea. My room was port side. The outside area in front of the topsail lounge I think was the best viewing spot for the lighthouse show. I guess maybe the front of the pool deck would be good too, but you don't have people serving you drinks there at that time of night!

We didn't do specialty dining, we usually do. I'm surprised we were able to resist the SEVERAL times we were approached to book a meal in one of them! 

Have a great trip! 

Thanks so much!

Two years ago we had the cabin next to your cabin but last year moved to the other side, not the first cabin but the second one in and loved it. It was a cabin away from the YC entrance and could go in/out through the "special" door. No one used except what I thought was me but I am sure others did use but I never saw anyone else LOL

Thank you for the information about the cabanas, happy I booked one.  We are flying from NY to Florida and wish I was driving with the corona virus and hoping all okay on the ship. I'm more worried being stuck on it than catching the virus.

18 hours ago, deepwater said:

We had 16003 on Seaside last April and we loved the cabin. So quiet and isolated. We asked our butler to put a lounger on our deck and it appeared later that afternoon. You have to backtrack a bit toward the concierge area in order to loop around to the Top Sail lounge, but I didn't find it much of an inconvenience at all. Actually, I did some research before I sailed and heard about a door just across from 16003 that led to the starboard side passageway. I found that door on the first day as they were using it to deliver the luggage to the rooms. However, it is clearly marked as ships personnel only, and based on the industrial look of the area inside (including a stairway), it isn't meant for passenger use. But it is a shortcut between the port and starboard passageways. I think you'll enjoy 16003. BTW, there is a video tour of 16003 on you tube.

Now, having said that, we're booked on Seaside again for this April and chose deck 16 starboard, 2nd cabin in from the TS lounge (16004). Noise doesn't bother me, and I want to try something different. Okay, I want to be able to step outside of my door and be at the bar.

1 hour ago, jeepfan2006 said:

We had 16003 on Seaside last April and we loved the cabin. So quiet and isolated. We asked our butler to put a lounger on our deck and it appeared later that afternoon. You have to backtrack a bit toward the concierge area in order to loop around to the Top Sail lounge, but I didn't find it much of an inconvenience at all. Actually, I did some research before I sailed and heard about a door just across from 16003 that led to the starboard side passageway. I found that door on the first day as they were using it to deliver the luggage to the rooms. However, it is clearly marked as ships personnel only, and based on the industrial look of the area inside (including a stairway), it isn't meant for passenger use. But it is a shortcut between the port and starboard passageways. I think you'll enjoy 16003. BTW, there is a video tour of 16003 on you tube.

Now, having said that, we're booked on Seaside again for this April and chose deck 16 starboard, 2nd cabin in from the TS lounge (16004). Noise doesn't bother me, and I want to try something different. Okay, I want to be able to step outside of my door and be at the bar.

I might be wrong, but I’m not sure you can walk out your door and into the bar. If I remember right, there is a wide aisle way that runs from the entrance of the YC to the bar and the cabins are walled off from it, for privacy and noise. all I saw was a door about half way down the aisle way. I’m not sure as I wasn’t on deck 16.

5 hours ago, jeepfan2006 said:

Had this (16004) cabin last year and loved it so much booked same cabin for our cruise in two weeks. I just booked for next year and the cabin is t available but Ill keep looking, there is a year for others to cancel. This was a fabulous location. 

There is one cabin next to you and then the door to the YC lounge. Fabulous! Loved it. 

Edited by js

FWIW, if folks are looking at cabin choices, we had 16015 last summer and booked it again for April.  Reason, with 4 people in our cabin, it's right across from the YC hallway bathrooms which came in verrrry handy when getting ready for dinner as they are rarely used.  With 3 females in the cabin, it was like having an extra bathroom!

17 hours ago, js said:

Thank you so much!

Love your review.

Diamond is the new Black on MSC, no Platinum.

Great review ! In MSC Grandiosa the drinks aren't allowed in the bubblebath of the Top Sail deck. I saw two young women with drinks in hands start to enter the yacuzzi but they are stopped by the poolboy. It's more a sanitarian issue I think.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:25 PM, grandgeezer said:

I might be wrong, but I’m not sure you can walk out your door and into the bar. If I remember right, there is a wide aisle way that runs from the entrance of the YC to the bar and the cabins are walled off from it, for privacy and noise. all I saw was a door about half way down the aisle way. I’m not sure as I wasn’t on deck 16.

At the end of the hallway for the starboard cabins, there is a "secret" door that opens right into the topsail lounge. You don't have to backtrack to that set of glass doors. It doesn't get much use but it's definitely there! 

6 minutes ago, eastoftheboston said:

At the end of the hallway for the starboard cabins, there is a "secret" door that opens right into the topsail lounge. You don't have to backtrack to that set of glass doors. It doesn't get much use but it's definitely there! 

This is 100% correct, since last year I had the second cabin in from the door and in two weeks have the same cabin again.
It is, IMO, the absolute best location for the YC1 cabins.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 3:19 PM, eastoftheboston said:

- We had a Russian family on our sailing in the YC and they had several kids who they let run wild in the YC, running all over the restaurant, jumping on the chairs in the topsail, wrestling in the hallways, roughhousing in the lounge on the dance floor bumping into the pianist and the violinist, being loud and obnoxious at Ocean Cay. The father even changed one kid's diaper on the beach and took the kid naked into the water to wash off his butt in the ocean. I didn’t go in the water again after seeing that. They should consider making the YC 18+. It really was the only negative spot on my vacation. The violinist either was from Russia or just speaks it fluently, and on the last night, she had finally had enough and scolded the kids and it stopped them dead in their tracks. Wish she had done that on night one.

Although our daughter is well behaved, we still would not book YC with her.  I feel people book the yacht club for peace and relaxation.  We look forward to the day we will sail YC.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, js said:

This is 100% correct, since last year I had the second cabin in from the door and in two weeks have the same cabin again.
It is, IMO, the absolute best location for the YC1 cabins.

We are new to MSC and not sure about the cabins/deck plans, what is good and what is not.  Right now we have (on Meraviglia) a YC1 on the 15th floor.  We wanted the 16th deck but the only one available is 16002 (looks like it is right next to that door?).  Would that be a good choice?  We don't like to be that far forward, but they are all forward!  Thank you

1 hour ago, lifeasme123 said:

Although our daughter is well behaved, we still would not book YC with her.  I feel people book the yacht club for peace and relaxation.  We look forward to the day we will sail YC.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.🙂 

2 hours ago, lifeasme123 said:

There is not a minimum age on the YC.  Although my children are adults, I have booked in the Haven on NCL without giving it a thought since we do parent and if they were getting too loud or misbehaving, we took them out of that situation.  If you can book the YC, you should.  If you can expose your children to all different experiences, why shouldn't you if you are following the rules?

23 minutes ago, Muushka said:

We are new to MSC and not sure about the cabins/deck plans, what is good and what is not.  Right now we have (on Meraviglia) a YC1 on the 15th floor.  We wanted the 16th deck but the only one available is 16002 (looks like it is right next to that door?).  Would that be a good choice?  We don't like to be that far forward, but they are all forward!  Thank you

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.🙂 

I am not familiar with Mera but if that cabin is next door to the YC lounge, I think it is a fabulous location. I can tell you on the Seaside, no one ever used that door, I'm not sure if the people on my side of the hall knew that is where it let and I didn't mention to anyone LOL

As far as the yacht club restaurant on ocean cay, what was on the menu?? Was it only open a short time? What about the bar, I watched a couple of YouTube videos that showed the restaurant/bar but didn’t show the menu or food. If we are in the yacht club area in lounge chairs by the beach will servers come by for drink service or do we have to go find a bar? Thanks for any input!