Cruise Critic Community
CruisySusie

Which luxury line is the least stuffy? ;)

On 2/9/2020 at 9:08 AM, orchestrapal said:

However not one of the aforementioned lines are LUXURY..

Thank you for bringing up that point! 

We have been on three of the four most recognized luxury cruise ships (those being Crystal, Regent and Silversea).  While all three were wonderful, in different ways, Silversea, due to the formal dress code, feels the most stuffy (even though the passenger really are not).  I did not realize until reading this thread that what we saw on Crystal (t-shirts and workout clothes at dinner in the horrible Brazillian restaurant was permissible).  While onboard, we were taken aback by the informality of that dining venue (as well as the food that wasn't quite as good as McDonald's!  

To be honest, I am Regent customer that has tried other luxury lines to determine if they would suit us more than Regent (they do not).  Regent's passengers, in general, are friendly, outgoing and not judgmental of others.  That is one of many reasons why we sail Regent.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:15 PM, CruisySusie said:

I agree completely! Thank you so much for putting my thoughts into words 🙂  I ended up booking the cruise with Crystal on the Barcelona to Rome cruise starting 6/26.  The ports will be interesting to all of us and all of the beachy excursions seem perfect for my daughter and her bf.  Thank you to everyone for all the info!

Glad you chose this one. We are on this too, first time on Crystal. Very much looking forward to it, and hope it is not at all stuffy! 

On 2/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, wripro said:

Windstar is great....stipulated. BUT it is not luxury. And I don't understand why someone would say Sea Dream is not suitable for an 80 year old lady.Sounds exactly like the kind of line that would fit your bill. The other suggestion is Seabourn which si imo the best of the bunch and actually quite casual with more activities and options for the younger set.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, zqvol said:

On 2/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, zqvol said:

Curious as to why Windstar is not considered "luxury"?  We have only cruised once, and looking to cruise again.  We cruised Windstar and have just booked another.  Windstar seemed luxury to me, but I have nothing to compare it to! I know it is considered less "formal" than the others, which is why we are attracted to it.  We are booked on the Star Breeze which currently being totally refurbished and all brand new this spring, which should bring it up a notch.

Edited by SecretFruity
notify me of replies

On 2/26/2020 at 4:59 AM, SecretFruity said:

SecretFruity asks: "Curious as to why Windstar is not considered 'luxury'?"  The first thing that comes to mind is that it is not all-inclusive.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

2 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

SecretFruity asks: "Curious as to why Windstar is not considered 'luxury'?"  The first thing that comes to mind is that it is not all-inclusive.

Why is Crystal considered luxury?

It is not all inclusive  

Crystal is all inclusive except excursions and air.  Food, alcohol, gratuities are included.

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

Crystal is all inclusive except excursions and air.  Food, alcohol, gratuities are included.

HMMM

Azamara  has Food alcohol & Gratuities included   ...are they a luxury line??

While Windstar doesn't include alcohol, it's also considerably less expensive than the other luxury ships.  Those who don't drink or prefer to pay-as-they-go appreciate that they aren't subsidizing the consumption of others. All dining on Windstar is included as are all soft drinks including specialty coffees and such.    

On 2/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, LHT28 said:

HMMM

NO they are considered premium....

On 2/27/2020 at 10:43 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

We do believe they advertise themselves as such.

Because that is what they are and always have been. Try them to experience for yourself.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:54 AM, orchestrapal said:

Because that is what they are and always have been. Try them to experience for yourself.

And then post about it on the appropriate board.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, LHT28 said:

the  OP has moved on  

well over a week ago

The TS (Thread Starter) is still here.

I cannot recommend staying in the "luxury section" of a large cruise ship.  We have been in the luxury section of NCL and Celebrity.  Once you leave the private dining room and lounge for suite guests, you are on a mainstream or premium cruise line.  Definitely not a luxury experience

During the summer, there are younger people (and children) on the four major luxury cruise lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea).  If you book a port intensive cruise cruise, you'll be so busy during the day that activities onboard won't matter.  Regent is likely the most casual of the luxury cruise lines and it includes many excursions and international business class air (meaning that flights within the U.S. are coach but flights to Europe (for instance) are business class.  This makes a big difference in insuring that you arrived relaxed and have had a good night's sleep.  Also, if you book a "concierge" or above suite (note: luxury cruise lines are all-suites) you will get an included one stay's at a hotel.  The next day you will be transferred to the port.  

Cruise limes are really struggling right now with the Coronavirus so it is likely that you could get a good price on a luxury cruise vacation this summer (when, hopefully, the virus will have died down - at least until the fall when it is predicted to return).

45 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

if you had bothered to check the date I posted my comment  that you quoted the  OP  had not posted since Feb 1st

Her last post was Feb 13th

maybe she is still lurking or maybe  not  

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I cannot recommend staying in the "luxury section" of a large cruise ship.  We have been in the luxury section of NCL and Celebrity.  Once you leave the private dining room and lounge for suite guests, you are on a mainstream or premium cruise line.  Definitely not a luxury experience

During the summer, there are younger people (and children) on the four major luxury cruise lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea).  If you book a port intensive cruise cruise, you'll be so busy during the day that activities onboard won't matter.  Regent is likely the most casual of the luxury cruise lines and it includes many excursions and international business class air (meaning that flights within the U.S. are coach but flights to Europe (for instance) are business class.  This makes a big difference in insuring that you arrived relaxed and have had a good night's sleep.  Also, if you book a "concierge" or above suite (note: luxury cruise lines are all-suites) you will get an included one stay's at a hotel.  The next day you will be transferred to the port.  

Cruise limes are really struggling right now with the Coronavirus so it is likely that you could get a good price on a luxury cruise vacation this summer (when, hopefully, the virus will have died down - at least until the fall when it is predicted to return).

Thanks very much for the info! Wishing now that I had checked out Regent!  We ended up booking on Crystal Barcelona - Rome on 6/24.  The ports and excursions seemed fun and the dates worked for all of us.  Thanks again for the input; I’m saving it in my travel file 😊

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

if you had bothered to check the date I posted my comment  that you quoted the  OP  had not posted since Feb 1st

Her last post was Feb 13th

maybe she is still lurking or maybe  not  

Why the snarkiness?  Many times a poster will ask a questions and wait a while while they view the responses.  That seems to be the case here!

Edited by Travelcat2

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Why the snarkiness?  Many times a poster will ask a questions and wait a while while they view the responses.  That seems to be the case here!

not snarky 

but why respond in the manner you did to a post 3 weeks old ?

6 hours ago, CruisySusie said:

Thanks very much for the info! Wishing now that I had checked out Regent!  We ended up booking on Crystal Barcelona - Rome on 6/24.  The ports and excursions seemed fun and the dates worked for all of us.  Thanks again for the input; I’m saving it in my travel file 😊

well hope Crystal works  for you

It was not our  "cup of tea"

YMMV

On 3/6/2020 at 7:53 PM, CruisySusie said:

You made a great choice now just go and enjoy😁 and forget the negativity.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, LHT28 said:

The Brazilian place is  a joke   IMO

And in my opinion, it is worth a visit. Just providing a balance. 

On 2/28/2020 at 6:41 AM, LHT28 said:

HMMM

The quality of the alcohol is not the same as on Crystal (Crystal having top shelf beverages included).  IMHO, Crystal is definitely a luxury cruise line (as are Silversea, Regent and Seabourn).  We have not sailed on Seabourn but have sailed on Crystal, Silversea and Regent.  For us, Regent meets fits our needs better than Silversea or Crystal but we did enjoy our cruises on both lines.  Others may prefer Silversea for their formality and still others prefer Crystal. 

Some people prefer luxury-lite cruise lines while others prefer luxury.  It is a personal preference and is all good!

And it's great to have choices so we can all sail the line that makes us happiest.