Cruise Critic Community
CruisySusie

Which luxury line is the least stuffy? ;)

5 minutes ago, wripro said:

And it's great to have choices so we can all sail the line that makes us happiest.

Finally we  agree on something  😉

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Finally we  agree on something  😉

Now I can die happy.

I cannot recommend staying in the "luxury section" of a large cruise ship.  We have been in the luxury section of NCL and Celebrity.  Once you leave the private dining room and lounge for suite guests, you are on a mainstream or premium cruise line.  Definitely not a luxury experience

Travelcat/OP - I’m going to give a different perspective here.  Although I have only tried this concept once (Yacht Club on MSC Seaside) and our only luxury line (so far) has been Seabourn, we found the YC to be a wonderful (and considerably less expensive) alternative ....no it was not luxury, per say, but it was pretty much all inclusive (or as much as Seabourn was).  Our suite was almost as large (and I actually preferred the bathroom).  The food was not as “sophisticated” and service not as “polished”, but we certainly enjoyed it.  Yes, once you leave the confines of the YC you are on a massive ship, but we enjoyed having the multiple Nightly entertainment and Lounge options which we don’t get on SB...my point is, it can be nice alternative to someone looking for upgraded service and food paired with the bells and whistles that come with a large ship.  I wouldn’t necessarily want to do this in the Med where itinerary is king (I prefer the smaller ports only the small ships can provide), but for a “been there, done that” Caribbean vacation at a great price?  I think it’s a value that can’t be beat. YVMV 

chefchick - thank you for posting your perspective.  Although almost all of our cruises have been luxury cruise lines, we did sail on the NCL Bliss for her christening cruise in The Haven and sailed in a top suite on Celebrity so we have had that experience.  In our case, the food was the main issue on both cruise lines.  We enjoyed Celebrity but found ourselves going outside of the ship (port intensive cruise) for lunch every day since the restaurant for the suites was not always open and the dining choices at lunch were poor (food looked great but the quality was not there).

I agree that it is a lower cost alternative to luxury cruising but have learned that when you book a top suite on Celebrity (for instance) and add in everything that is not included (particularly Business Class International Air - something that is included on Regent), the price difference is very close.  

Take the cost of sailing in the luxury section of a cruise line and add in flights, some excursions, tips, the cost of specialty restaurants and alcohol as well speciality coffee drinks (with or without alcohol), you may be surprised by how much extra this costs.  

In any case, it is a good alternative but it is sure nice to not sign for anything on a luxury cruise line.

To reverse the scenario ... process by elimination ... which luxury line would experienced cruisers consider the ‘most stuffy’?
Which has the strictest dress code?
Which is the most ‘formal’? By that I do not mean multiple black tie nights
Which line is most likely to enforce their dress code?

My understanding is Cunard is the most stuffy but they are not luxury per se.

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

To reverse the scenario ... process by elimination ... which luxury line would experienced cruisers consider the ‘most stuffy’?
Which has the strictest dress code?
Which is the most ‘formal’? By that I do not mean multiple black tie nights emoji6.png
Which line is most likely to enforce their dress code?

My understanding is Cunard is the most stuffy but they are not luxury per se.

Cunard is NOT luxury in any way. What they call luxury is Queens Grill which is fifties food in an unimpressive room with stuffy overly pompous people. Once and never again!

On 8/9/2020 at 1:19 AM, orchestrapal said:

Cunard is NOT luxury in any way. What they call luxury is Queens Grill which is fifties food in an unimpressive room with stuffy overly pompous people. Once and never again!

I agree with you in full ... some of the food was identical to my first cruise on the former QE2 in 1990

and sommeliers constantly trying to sell you a more expensive bottle  

and the party even for QG guests was a very poor performance with basic drinks   -  sparkling wine and the cheapest brands 

never again !!