Terrace Cafe

ranchomirage777

On 2/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, ranchomirage777 said:

I just looked up Waves to see what time they open and Oceania said open at lunch time into the afternoon only. Sigh...why can't they give a time? Trying to figure out times for departure of private tours etc. etc.

Just off Oceania Serena. Waves opened there at 11:30am

Concerning pre made scrambled eggs. If you are in the GDR and order them, they will also be the pre made ones. You must specify fresh, cracked from the shell, scrambled eggs there. And still there’s no guarantee you’ll get them right.

This has created enough confusion over the years that my wife won’t let me order them there. That’s ok, I like over medium also, but do enjoy scrambled occasionally. 

This is a great thread for a newbie!

Okay, I do have a specific question.  Just to clarify from so much different information here!

On Princess the omelettes, and I assume the scrambled eggs on buffet service, are the instant reconstituted egg mixture.  The omelets are just seriously awful!!!   For this reason I usually get the fried type egg, cooked in the round forms, so kind of like a round poached egg. (did enjoy those)

Are all eggs on Oceania cooked from fresh eggs?  Or is that why the special order instead of pre-cooked?

If we get omelets or scrambled eggs, should we do anything to make sure they are fresh eggs?

Edited by Wishing on a star

When I order scrambled -- anywhere -- I order scrambled egg whites. I have found that no one has pre-made or powdered egg whites so this is my way to know that they are fresh. And I can still ask for cheese or other additives so they don't come out nearly as tasteless as they might sound.

Our first cruise on Oceania is in 41 days (not that I'm counting LOL) and I intend to try this strategy to avoid any not-made-to-order scrambled eggs.

Omelettes are made to order.  Scrambled eggs may be pre-made in small batches.  (I don't ever order scrambled so others may correct me.)  However, neither omelettes nor scrambled eggs are made from powdered mix.  Always fresh eggs per our experience.  

Katie

1 hour ago, KatieBelle said:

Omelettes are made to order.  Scrambled eggs may be pre-made in small batches.  (I don't ever order scrambled so others may correct me.)  However, neither omelettes nor scrambled eggs are made from powdered mix.  Always fresh eggs per our experience.  

Katie

Pretty sure that's true.  

2 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Katie

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

Pretty sure that's true.  

I don’t know this for a fact. When you order omelets or scrambled eggs made to order they are ladled out of a large container of “yellow” liquid. Whether these are mixed fresh eggs or some other mixture I have no way of telling.

Fried eggs come from eggs broken in front of you.

I suppose you can ask them to breaks fresh eggs in front of you to make an omelette  - or you can ask them what is in that large container of pre-mixed stuff?

Edited by Paulchili

I can't say that the omelets we get in the GDR are different from the omelets that we order in Terrace.  It's possible that those omelets we watch cooked in front of us come from a long-ago mixture.  But that mixture might be from fresh eggs as well as  fake stuff.  Bear in mind that we rarely have breakfast in Terrace so I could be completely wrong!

But whether I order an omelete in the GDR, Terrace, or haveone delivered to our room, they all seem to taste the same.

Whatever, the eggs that I've had on Oceania from ANY venue are far superior to those warming plates in hotel buffet breakfasts.

Mura

P.S  When at home sometimes I make omelets from real eggs and sometimes from what we call "fake eggs".  They don't taste very different!

8 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Katie

The omelette mix comes out of carton, its not to bad

9 hours ago, petcoke said:

This, I've seen them pour it from a carton into the container that they ladle it out of to make your omelet. Contrary to some above posts the premade scrambled eggs you get in the Terrace, or order in the GDR are from a mix. Plain and simple. There is an obvious difference when you get them from an egg you see cracked in front of you. 

Having said that the omelets are quite good, and the premade scrambled eggs are edible, just not as good as fresh ones. 

I will agree it's not a powdered mix, it's liquid, but a mix still the same. 

Edited by ORV

9 hours ago, petcoke said:

Yes, the omelette mix is from a carton, but I asked for fresh eggs for my omelette and that's what they gave me. I watched the cook for a moment to ensure he really did use fresh eggs. Even if I hadn't watched, I would know the difference because the mix hits my stomach like an acid bomb within 30 minutes after consuming.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

usually the egg mix is real eggs in liquid form  many restaurants have the bags/cartons of the liquid eggs

Some other lines have the powdered mix ..you can tell the difference🤢

This correct;  powdered / dried egg are very different. Though they too serve a purpose.

Liquid whole egg is widely used throughout food industry. The "mix" might be just a mix of the whole egg, nothing more. Or maybe  a bit of salt or citric acid. It requires refrigeration. But unlike commonly available eggs in the shell, liquid egg is pasteurized (always/usually?) I prefer a soft cooked omelette so for me if the liquid egg is pasteurized that is my preference over an egg in the shell cracked to order.

That said, I once had scrambled eggs on a main market ship (yes folks, I sailed and survived on lines lesser "premium" than O) that were amazingly good. Exactly the texture I like. And not like what I sometimes see on O where they have been well overcooked and then some liquid egg stirred back in to try to make them moist / creamy. These were very good. Not microwave over fluffiness but I suspect that was the process. I went back for more but the dish was empty. I asked the "cook" and he prepare some more. From a large clear plastic bag he oozed them into a chafing dish for the buffet. Whether they were made on ship in that bag or at an industrial kitchen on-shore, someone has indeed figured out how to make a great product. But to get consumers to accept if they have seen behind the curtain that is a different matter.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:02 PM, Paulchili said:

I’ve never had breakfast there. The reason I asked is that I would never have pre-cooked eggs of any kind - scrambled or fried. If I have eggs, I wanted them fresh & cooked to order.

I gotta tell ya those scrambled eggs were oh so nice. Very soft and creamy, not at all what one would expect at a buffet.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, Best Cat Mom said:

When I order scrambled -- anywhere -- I order scrambled egg whites. I have found that no one has pre-made or powdered egg whites so this is my way to know that they are fresh. And I can still ask for cheese or other additives so they don't come out nearly as tasteless as they might sound.

Our first cruise on Oceania is in 41 days (not that I'm counting LOL) and I intend to try this strategy to avoid any not-made-to-order scrambled eggs.

Actually there are pre-made egg whites. I don't know about cruise ships but if Costco has them.... 🙂

3 hours ago, clo said:

I gotta tell ya those scrambled eggs were oh so nice. Very soft and creamy, not at all what one would expect at a buffet.

Aw, scrambled eggs are one of the few things I can cook well.  First it is essential not to overcook them.  Then all it takes is to add a pat of butter.  Now my secret is out.  Haha

28 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw, scrambled eggs are one of the few things I can cook well.  First it is essential not to overcook them.  Then all it takes is to add a pat of butter.  Now my secret is out.  Haha

I have seen on some cooking show that they start with unmelted butter in a cold skillet, add eggs and only then turn the heat on med low.

Doesn't sound right to me 😊

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I have seen on some cooking show that they start with unmelted butter in a cold skillet, add eggs and only then turn the heat on med low.

Doesn't sound right to me 😊

Similar to what I do.  I put the dial on 5, toss the pat of butter in, then pour the churned eggs in.  Good stuff.   

21 hours ago, clo said:

Actually there are pre-made egg whites. I don't know about cruise ships but if Costco has them.... 🙂

We buy them in the paper containers and cook them fresh at home. Does Costco sell them pre-cooked? Are they already cooked and you just reheat them?

11 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We buy them in the paper containers and cook them fresh at home. Does Costco sell them pre-cooked? Are they already cooked and you just reheat them?

I have no idea. Just saw that they have them. On the rare occasion that I need an egg white I just separate an egg 🙂

• Like 1

I'm not concerned much about breakfast - I eat at a reasonable time and as long as they have smoked salmon I'm a happy morning person.

My main concern is a cup of coffee at 5am.  I tend to wake up early a lot and want coffee immediately.  We will be on the Riviera this summer in the Med.  Any coffee anywhere as early as 5am?

42 minutes ago, Ace4th said:

I'm not concerned much about breakfast - I eat at a reasonable time and as long as they have smoked salmon I'm a happy morning person.

My main concern is a cup of coffee at 5am.  I tend to wake up early a lot and want coffee immediately.  We will be on the Riviera this summer in the Med.  Any coffee anywhere as early as 5am?

Are you booked concierge or higher? If so they have a lounge. If not how about room service?