Mid 30s Solo 14 Night Caribbean Cruise with Princess

keithnw

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of doing my first solo cruise, 14 nights around the Caribbean on the New Enchanted Princess next March. I’m 34 years old. Looking forward to having a balcony to myself and being able to do what I want when I want. Though I’m a little nervous, particularly about meals? Has anyone else cruised solo with princess at a younger age? And have any tips, reviews or support? 

many thanks

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Have you looked here on CC to see if there is a roll call set up for the date of your cruise?  You would be able to chat with people that are going the same time and meet up once onboard at a "Meet & Greet" that usually someone will set up the first sea day.  If you book "anytime dining" then you can request being seated with others once you get to the dining room.  That way you don't sit alone and if you don't like the people at that table, no worries as chances of sitting with them again will be slim.  If you want to eat alone then you can tell the Maitre D you want a table for 1.  If you choose a set dining time such as "early dining" then you will be seated with the same people each night and you might not like them but it will be hard at that point to switch tables.  If you like to play Trivia, that can be a great way to meet people and have some fun by joining up with a team.  Just go and do what you want, when you want, as you said.  You are your own boss and will be the one to make yourself happy with doing the cruise with your rules!

• Like 1

I started cruising with my 10 year old son when I was 42.  When you are a single father on a cruise ship you are cruising solo because they are always in the kids area.  Now that he is in college I cruise solo all the time.  When it comes to dinner I like to book anytime dining so I do not have the same people every night.  When I get to the dinning room I always ask for a large table with mixed people and not just couples.  This gives me someone different to have dinner with every night and if I meet people i like we arrange to meet at dinner later in the cruise.  On the Formal nights I do the buffet or burger at the pool deck.  I do not like dressing up and that night seems to be a couples night.

• Like 3

I've cruised Princess many times solo in my mid 30's nothing but fun. I continue to cruise Princess solo 20 years later it's only gotten better. If I can be of help to make the best of your cruising Princess solo experience just let me know. Have fun Todd

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Didn't start cruising until after my divorce, because my dad refuses to travel and my mom wanted to go to Alaska.  First cruise was my honeymoon, and we did another cruise with some friends, but most of my cruises have been in my 30s as a singleton. Princess is my preferred line, but I'm also not a huge partier (ahem, Carnival) and they have the iteneraries that my mom and I want (since she's my usual travel companion). 

Just do what you enjoy and don't be too shy.  Have fun! 

P.S. We're booked on Enchanted next June - I really can't wait to sail her. My first time anywhere to Europe, so I hope it all works out.  Hope yours does too! 

Edited by blondee419
added PS

• 3 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 2:44 PM, blondee419 said:

Didn't start cruising until after my divorce, because my dad refuses to travel and my mom wanted to go to Alaska.  First cruise was my honeymoon, and we did another cruise with some friends, but most of my cruises have been in my 30s as a singleton. Princess is my preferred line, but I'm also not a huge partier (ahem, Carnival) and they have the iteneraries that my mom and I want (since she's my usual travel companion). 

Just do what you enjoy and don't be too shy.  Have fun! 

P.S. We're booked on Enchanted next June - I really can't wait to sail her. My first time anywhere to Europe, so I hope it all works out.  Hope yours does too! 

That's when I really started cruising was after my divorce 😉 my honeymoon was 7 days on the Carnival Sensation in 1995, after 3 cruises the last being on the Carnival Destiny in 1997 Inaugural. My ex-wife decided she would rather attend Nascar races than sail all over the planet on magnificent cruise ships. So I threw her ass out, 2 years later started cruising Princess and 20 years later I've done 16 Princess Cruise's 😎😉. Nice one's!! Yep I've done some beauties. 

Can't WAIT to start cruising again, SOLO.

You go on a nice cruise one time solo you'll never go on a cruise with anyone else ever again.😎

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 2:44 PM, blondee419 said:

Didn't start cruising until after my divorce,

7 hours ago, TTEllis said:

That's when I really started cruising was after my divorce 😉

I'm in the same "boat" (ok, pun intended). Recently divorced and recently retired so I was about to embark (again, pun intended) on solo cruising. But then the Wu Flu hit and shut cruising down for 2020. Solo cruising is still on my radar (again, pun....oh nevermind) for 2021 and hopefully a Wu Flu vaccine will make it possible and return cruising to the way we remember.

My ex-wife decided she would rather attend Nascar races than sail all over the planet on magnificent cruise ships

So I threw her ass out

Lol. Maybe could've gone to a couple of NASCAR races with her each year and she gone on a couple of cruises with you each year? Sorry, don't mean to judge and go all "marriage counselor" on you. Heck, as a divorcee myself, I'm the one to talk right?

You go on a nice cruise one time solo you'll never go on a cruise with anyone else ever again.😎

That's what I'm banking on...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I'm in the same "boat" (ok, pun intended). Recently divorced and recently retired so I was about to embark (again, pun intended) on solo cruising. But then the Wu Flu hit and shut cruising down for 2020. Solo cruising is still on my radar (again, pun....oh nevermind) for 2021 and hopefully a Wu Flu vaccine will make it possible and return cruising to the way we remember.

Lol. Maybe could've gone to a couple of NASCAR races with her each year and she gone on a couple of cruises with you each year? Sorry, don't mean to judge and go all "marriage counselor" on you. Heck, as a divorcee myself, I'm the one to talk right?

That's what I'm banking on...

I've been divorced for 23 years, only married for 1 year😂🤣I never wanted to get married had a chance to get out and took it. Been cruising Princess ever since solo, best decision other than not having children I've ever made in my life. 

LOVE Princess solo, I can do anything I want. They've been very good to me. Looking forward to the ships sailing again. I want to see my Sea Goddess again.

Oh yeah solo on Princess you can bank on it. I did starting in 2000(20 years ago)my my how time flies when we're having fun.😁😉😎

2 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Been cruising Princess ever since solo, best decision other than not having children I've ever made in my life. 

LOVE Princess solo, I can do anything I want. They've been very good to me.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you wrt having children. I have 2 boys from my 1st marriage who are now both in college (my oldest goes to Washington State University and my youngest goes to University of Arizona. Both Pac-12 kids, one north, one south, lol.).

As a matter of fact, I just floated the idea of both my sons & me going on a cruise (when cruising resumes) out of the west coast, southern California. Maybe Mexican Riviera or even Hawaii. I talked about it with my younger son on the phone and he was all in. It would have to be in June or July when they are both out of school.

Interesting what you say about cruising solo with Princess. You don't hear too many solo cruisers talk about Princess. I've cruised with Princess once, on the now covid infamous Diamond Princess out of Vancouver, BC to Whittier, Ak. This was with my 2nd wife & her family. For me personally, when cruising starts back up and I start solo cruising, I'll be looking at; 1. RCL - I want to book one of those studio balcony cabins on one of their Quantum class ships and/or 2. NCL - because they are very "solo friendly" with their array of studio cabins and even studio lounges on their bigger, newer ships (although NCL's studio cabins are all interiors and I would much prefer to have my own balcony).

Cheers 🍻 to your looking forward to the ships sailing again. I'm with you 100%.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

You are correct very, you don't hear too many of us solo Princess cruiser's talk about Princess Cruise's we're a different kind of Solo Cruiser and we're trying to keep it that way. 

Princess is mostly couples very nice people at the end of the day, or I wouldn't spend weeks and months with them.😉

With that being said some of us are solo and are on vacation to be to ourselves so to speak, if that makes any sense, if it doesn't I totally understand 😁

Princess I do whatever I want whenever I want to. When I say whatever I want whenever I want to, that's exactly what I mean. I can go and find myself a hole(really nice comfortable one)in anyone of the great bars on the ship party like a rock star and be left totally alone there's nothing like it, after working your ass off all year long.

Princess solo I told you, you can bank on it!! I did best $$$$ I ever put in the bank😀😎.

Have a nice evening. 

17 hours ago, TTEllis said:

With that being said some of us are solo and are on vacation to be to ourselves so to speak

As someone who has never cruised solo (yet), this sounds good to me. I guess you have the option of being to yourself or socializing more, whatever you want, which is nice.

Princess I do whatever I want whenever I want to.

Another great aspect of solo cruising and not just limited to Princess, I'm sure!

I can go and find myself a hole(really nice comfortable one)in anyone of the great bars on the ship party like a rock star and be left totally alone there's nothing like it, after working your ass off all year long.

Lol, when you say "party like a rock star and be left totally alone"...what comes to mind is Billy Idol's song, "Dancing with Myself".

You guys probably don't listen to too much Billy Idol over there in West Virginia, eh? Lol, that why I posted the above music video (enjoy).

As far as "working your ass off all year long", I don't have to do that anymore; I'm newly retired (and cruising will be my retired activity of choice, once cruising resumes).

Cheers 🍻.

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

As someone who has never cruised solo (yet), this sounds good to me. I guess you have the option of being to yourself or socializing more, whatever you want, which is nice.

Another great aspect of solo cruising and not just limited to Princess, I'm sure!

Lol, when you say "party like a rock star and be left totally alone"...what comes to mind is Billy Idol's song, "Dancing with Myself".

You guys probably don't listen to too much Billy Idol over there in West Virginia, eh? Lol, that why I posted the above music video (enjoy).

As far as "working your ass off all year long", I don't have to do that anymore; I'm newly retired (and cruising will be my retired activity of choice, once cruising resumes).

Cheers 🍻.

Never cruised SOLO, eh? I see that. "whatever I want" 😃.

May not be limited to just Princess, I wouldn't cruise on NCL if they gave me the cruise with the premium beverage package included and I can cruise pretty much any line I want, I keep forgetting that at times it's probably a good thing.

Billy Idol saw him in concert in Tampa(83) when he had Steve Stephens on lead. Billy Idol is just another example if why I'll love Van Halen forever. Billy Idol 🙄 I respectfully disagree.

Over here in West Virginia we're still stuck in David Lee Roth and the late Edward Van Halen and we still don't want you here.

As far as working, I retired exactly 2 years ago at 56😉 I'll never work another day in my life, unless it's for a whole LOT of $$$$$, they don't have enough $$$$$😉. Nighty night 😴

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@TTEllis Thank you for your insight regarding PCL.  You've made it quite clear that I can safely  eliminate it from my searches of future cruises. 

Thanks again,

Cheers

Excellent then we don't have to worry about crossing paths. 

Thank you very much

Bottoms up 😊

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@TTEllis Thank you for your insight regarding PCL.  You've made it quite clear that I can safely  eliminate it from my searches of future cruises. 

Thanks again,

Cheers

Hi. "PCL"? I think you meant "NCL" and was a typo? Yeah, I don't know why he is so biased against NCL, especially as a solo cruiser. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

I'm still in shock that he actually saw Billy Idol in concert!!

Cheers 🍻!

19 hours ago, TTEllis said:

I wouldn't cruise on NCL if they gave me the cruise with the premium beverage package included and I can cruise pretty much any line I want

May I ask why not NCL?

Billy Idol saw him in concert in Tampa(83)

Wow, I was just teasing you about Billy Idol because you said something about partying by yourself so I immediately thought of Billy Idol's song "Dancing with Myself" (hence the YouTube post).

As far as working, I retired exactly 2 years ago at 56😉 I'll never work another day in my life

I'm trying to remember for sure but I believe I retired 5 years ago at age 55. As far as never working another day in your life, me neither. I'll be too busy cruising!

Cheers 🍻.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, farmersfight said:

Hi. "PCL"? I think you meant "NCL" and was a typo? Yeah, I don't know why he is so biased against NCL, especially as a solo cruiser. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

I'm still in shock that he actually saw Billy Idol in concert!!

Cheers 🍻!

Hi, PCL, yes, Princess Cruise lines, part of Carnival Cruise Line... kind of funny, my late DH flat out refused to cruise on any affiliates of CCL.  That definitely eliminated a lot of cruise lines but... it's all good, not to worry. 

Yeah, DH & I used to go to a lot of concerts but, mostly Cdn bands, lots of fun. 

Cheers 🥂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Hi, PCL, yes, Princess Cruise lines, part of Carnival Cruise Line... kind of funny, my late DH flat out refused to cruise on any affiliates of CCL.  That definitely eliminated a lot of cruise lines but... it's all good, not to worry. 

Yeah, DH & I used to go to a lot of concerts but, mostly Cdn bands, lots of fun. 

Cheers 🥂

Woops, sorry, I thought you meant NCL.  May I ask what TTEllis said that turned you off to Princess? Also, just curious, why did your late DH refuse to cruise on any affiliates of CCL? (you don't have to answer if I'm being too nosey...).

Ah yes and there are/were some good Canadian bands. Rush & Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) come to mind;

The #1 Song in America #OTD in 1974: Bachman-Turner Overdrive, "You Ain't  Seen Nothing Yet" | Classic Rockers

Even though as we get older, we can still ROCK! Just look at the new album "Power Up" just released by AC/DC, one of my favorite rock bands. It's kind of weird seeing those guys now in their music videos (Brian Johnson, Angus Young, etc) because they look like a group of "old guys" up there on stage but even at their advanced age, they can still BRING IT!!

Cheers 🍻!

Edited by farmersfight

20 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

May I ask what TTEllis said that turned you off to Princess?

Not necessarily what was said but how it was said. Preferring to keep Princess as their little secret, God forbid I'd ever want to burst someone's private little bubble.  

As far as cruising with Carnival or affiliates, DH hated their poor record when it came to the environmental issues Carnival was constantly having.  For me personally though, it's the way PCL admin. handled the whole C-19 on their affected ships and very much ignored the advice given by health care providers, saying it was too late to do anything since most pax already had the virus. 

It's no problem though, I enjoy cruising and will continue to do so when the time is right. 

cheers

• Thanks 1