Regarding smoking or vaping in Tortola

beachbum53

On a different forum, it was stated that smoking in public is prohibited in Tortola, and that doing so could result in being fined. Does anyone know if this same rule applies to vaping? There are some in our group that vape, and would like to know ahead of time if vaping in public areas, such as at a beach, is okay or not. 

Smoking is indeed banned within 50' of any public space, which includes the beaches which are public. 

But if you use common sense and are considerate of others around you, you're fine. In CGB, for example, you just have to take a dinghy out into the bay to light up (lol...kidding of course!). But be considerate of others, that goes a long way. You'll probably find you can smoke right off the deck of Myett's or sitting near the Elms with no problem. You can also take a nice stroll along the beach so you aren't offending or bothering anyone. Walking around town just be considerate, definitely don't vape on public transportation or at restaurants. Sensibility and consideration are good traits, the people are wonderful and too many day visitors are not so much...

I will say that unlike cigarettes, vaping can be very annoying to those next to you who do not vape. That's because many we know who vape tend to hold it in their hand and take hits whenever they get the urge, rather than just lighting up a cigarette every 30 - 45 minutes. It's very different than an occasional cigarette for them.

I remembered seeing this post 3 years ago from a destination expert regarding the law -

"The law bans smoking in public places including bars, restaurants, nightclubs, airports, offices, and sports facilities. It also bans smoking within 50 feet of any public space. 

A person caught smoking tobacco in a public place "is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $1,000 for the first offence and.$2,000 for any subsequent offence and conviction."

I've not heard of an instance where the 50 ft from public spaces was applied on beaches in the BVI. I've also never had a problem smoking on the beach anywhere when using common sense and consideration, and many of the beach bars would certainly suffer if that was strictly upheld!

But as to your question - does this apply to vaping - I do not know. But with all of the problems now being blamed on vaping, and the fact that the flavored oils, at least, can smell terrible, I would just be discreet...

I enjoy an occasional cigar, and while many people ask me to stay close because they enjoy the aroma, obviously many do not so I tend to smoke in more secluded spots...

Edited by blue_water