General Advise - Seabourn Encore

Argord

Good Morning Forum,

I'm writing seeking some basic advice; I haven't been on a cruise ship since a short Holland America Trip about 15years ago.

I was gifted this trip from my father and don't really know what to expect.

Formal Clothes wise - Is Jacket/Tie acceptable?

Daily Dinner Ware - Collared Shirt / Sweater fine?

Any tips/tricks I should be aware of? (Other then making dining reservations in advanced).

Any general Cruising tips that may be helpful/useful?

Any advise is appreciated but  I am very excited.

-MJL

Really liked the bar area in the TK restaurant area. You can use even if you are not dining in the TK restaurant.

A really great and generally underused sunbathing area on Deck 12 right forward.

Just loved the Japanese restaurant for both luncheon and dinner. Rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for a table

A jacket and tie is acceptable for formal night.  You will see various modes of dress for men:  tuxes, white dinner jackets, dark suits with tie, sports coats with tie.  For other evenings, a collared shirt and sweater combination as you describe is acceptable.  My husband prefer to wear a sports coat for those evenings as well, but others wear just a collared shirt.  

You've found a great cruise forum to glean answers of what to expect by specific cruise line and ship. Check the editorial review for the Encore, https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1068   then the recent guest reviews for the ship, https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1068   and the most recent for the same itinerary you are taking. And not all marketing fluff, but watch all those short video clips on the Seabourn website of the services they offer, the restaurants, etc.   There is even a general forum section for first time cruisers that may help too.  We have an upcoming Encore trip ourselves, first time on Seabourn...checking around all the sections of this forum helps a lot.

6 hours ago, lydiamight said:

Really liked the bar area in the TK restaurant area. You can use even if you are not dining in the TK restaurant.

I read that not is no longer he case. You have to have a reservation to use the bar there. Anyone know for sure?

51 minutes ago, Videopark said:

I read that not is no longer he case. You have to have a reservation to use the bar there. Anyone know for sure?

We just left the Encore in January and did not need a reservation to have cocktails in the bar.  We went there nearly every night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you like Caviar, it is available at any time, in any location, except the Thomas Keller restaurant. Just ask your server. You may even pre-order it as an appetizer for dinner each night.

Seabourn sells The Retreat as a semi-private exclusive retreat with complimentary food and beverages. In fact, all food and beverages are complimentary on board (except premium wines) so The Retreat is generally not very popular. There are plenty of places on board where you can find privacy and solitude for no additional cost.

You may order off the menu at any dinner, ahead of time, by asking the Maître d' 24 hours ahead of time. If the chef has the ability to make it, he will.

Hope this helps.

I have to highlight Seabourn Square.  This area has a coffee bar where they make various coffee drinks (alcoholic too if you want) along with lovely little 'bites' throughout the day.  The area also has books to borrow in cases all around the room, lots of newspapers (both in paper and on iPads) and very comfy chairs and sofas throughout the room to sit and read and enjoy the views from the windows surrounding you at the back of the ship.  And in the middle of the room are the Customer Service folks who can address any problem that you have, work with you on arranging various port activities including tours and arrange dinner reservations at TK Grill.  Basically a comfy area that is a one stop shop for nearly everything you need/want.  Our favorite place on the ship!