Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

30 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Some will indeed show up positive but nonetheless I would still prefer to be in the US under a proper quarantine and medical care than staying on the doomed ship with 600+ and counting infections.

Well, yes for the passenger but perhaps not the best for the other 327 million of us.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Latest on the 45 out of 52 HK residents that are due to fly home shortly on HK government chartered converted cargo flight, modified for use - 

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3051340/hong-kong-security-chief-says-japan-should-make-releasing

Very good article, thanks.

4 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Well, yes for the passenger but perhaps not the best for the other 327 million of us.   

Why not for us? The US passengers will not be released during the 14 days of quarantine and this, in contrast to the fiasco on the ship, will be a proper quarantine. 

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Why not bring them home, we’ve already got the Westerdam people not to mention tons of others, on their way:

This is just going to get bigger.  DH has a friend who is currently on a celebrity ship.  That ship was originally scheduled to sail from Singapore  to Dubai.  Celebrity said, oh Singapore is a hot spot, let’s change this ship to a round trip Dubai (they did this on a Monday before a Saturday sailing ).  Well guess what, people (I dont know how many) were either already in Singapore or went anyways then flew to Dubai and boarded the ship. AFTER spending days sightseeing in Singapore .  Anyone else see the potential problem here?

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, sprinkles said:

<snip> This is just going to get bigger.  DH has a friend who is currently on a celebrity ship.  That ship was originally scheduled to sail from Singapore  to Dubai.  Celebrity said, oh Singapore is a hot spot, let’s change this ship to a round trip Dubai (they did this on a Monday before a Saturday sailing ).  Well guess what, people (I dont know how many) were either already in Singapore or went anyways then flew to Dubai and boarded the ship. AFTER spending days sightseeing in Singapore .  Anyone else see the potential problem here?

Daughter of a friend is part of the Production cast on this ship. Just touched base with my friend and he says all is fine right now, but this does not sound like a good situation to me. Hopefully there will not be a breakout on another cruise line.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Do we know the status of the 621 passengers infected?  Ie what percent is mild, critical...  

Don't know all the details but when last I looked into it there were 24 described as critical.  I read somewhere today that there is now 29 - but they did not provided links to any official documents. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Do we know the status of the 621 passengers infected?  Ie what percent is mild, critical...  

According to worldometers.info, 621 infected, 20 critical, 17 recovered.  Anyone hear what happened to the recovered passengers?  Were they sent home?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

The Johns Hopkins map has dropped the "Other" number to 542, down from 600 something earlier today.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It did a numbers glitch yesterday too. I am sure the number on the ship will be the number Japan have already confirmed which I think is about 621.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

How the heck were they going to get everyone to their home country without infecting more people along the way?

They aren’t allowed back into Australia nor the USA until 14 days after departing the ship. I am blown away that others were simply allowed to exit yesterday.

Their basic assumption was all those now positive were only infected on Day 0 and not afterwards. That might have worked. But given they duct tape vents outside the cabin once someone tests positive inside blows that theory away. The rate of new positive tests should have been decreasing to zero by now. The genie is out of the bottle. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlyssaJames said:

The Johns Hopkins map has dropped the "Other" number to 542, down from 600 something earlier today.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I just looked at it & I see 621 for others.  

They must have fixed whatever glitch was there. 

Edited by Von & John

Speaking of airflow. Ever notice what happens when you have your balcony door open and someone opens the cabin door.... cabin becomes a wind tunnel. While cruise ship cabins are a nicer form of isolation than a hospital room.. they are not designed to maintain a particular airflow. I am not sure the idea of having a green zone vs red zone would have worked on a ship if the virus is airborne. 

8 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

A senior Princess official confirmed there was air recirculation in the cabins.  Whether or not that caused more infections is presumably still to be determined.

Yeap, here he is, Rai Calouri, Executive VP of Ship Operations.

Air 2.png

Air 3.png

Edited by bluesea321

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

Yep taping the vents after cabin after cabin test positive...pretty obvious.

Yes, pretty obvious that as the cabins don't exhaust to the hall, the original report of taping likely refers to some other type of vent ...perhaps the hall ventilation being stopped?

We've only been handed the original person's interpretation of what they saw. What we make of their words unfortunately can't be any sounder than their amateur impression, only info from more knowledgeable sources can improve the conclusions.

Bill

Edited by Two4Sea