Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

23 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm afraid the information is conflicting, and nobody yet knows the real answer, but it's as likely that Professor Jonathan Ball (an expert in the field) is right on this as the other sources you quote.

It's not conflicting, you just cherry-picked one scary-sounding outlier. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

Shocking headlines there was a "whistleblower" doctor who warned about this virus... Chinese .government silenced him and now he has died of the virus. Can't make this stuff up.

Knew he was in intensive care, had not heard that he had died.

As far as reported he was a healthy adult.

7 minutes ago, perditax said:

It's not conflicting, you just cherry-picked one scary-sounding outlier. 

Of course it’s conflicting. Different experts take different views, and the Professor taking this view has impeccable credentials.

No point arguing though. Nobody yet knows the correct answer, but far better to err on the safe side than not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

While Princess appears to be handling the situation as best they can I disagree that at least some of this was not of their doing. The Virus has been known since late Dec. Other lines took precautions to help prevent the virus making it onto their ships.  Including cancelling cruises, ports of call and banning Chinese nationals and those that traveled to China from their ships. Princess did not.

Princess put the rules in place at the same time the US government did.  In this case, at the time the one patient from Hong Kong, boarded the ship in Japan, Hong Kong was not on any restricted list. Otherwise the individual would not have been able to fly from Hong Kong to Japan.

Cruise lines can put rules in place to minimize risk, but no way they can 100% eliminate it.  It this case Princess had the same rules as the US government and other cruise lines when the individual boarded.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You do realize that what you said initially and what you said in the second post are vastly different???? 

If folks are going to summarize information please do so appropriately and provide the reference.

Both statements are entirely consistent and correct.  The transmission of the virus is still being assessed, expert virologists have expressed their views, and the 200 foot transmission warning has yet to be rebutted. Please see above for reference.

You must form your own conclusions. I prefer to adopt a cautious approach, and if a cautious approach to the early health warnings on tobacco smoking had been taken, millions of lives would have been saved.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It would be really helpful if folks reporting random "facts" would also provide sources.  At times like these, where there is a lot of very high-level knowledge and understanding required (e.g., viral transmission, government regulations, etc), reporters do get things wrong. (Or take facts out of context.)

I have seen far far more incorrect reporting in the media then accurate reporting. Some are using outdated info, some drawing conclusions where information does not yet exist.  Some doing interviews with people that and reporting their opinions as if it was fact. 

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i am curious about something. in general regarding all cruises that have english on the menus etc. how do the people who dont speak english even order from menus and stuff?  i had always assumed that if you travel on an english ship you would be able to communicate. personally id never go on a ship that wasnt  my native language or one i didnt speak. would scare me not to be able to read/communicate

When I was on RCL Ovation of the seas last year, the ship had primarily been in China and Australia. It then migrated to Australia then the South Pacific to Hawaii and then Vancouver. I took an Alaska cruise from Vancouver and the room service menus and some of the signage were Chinese and English where English was the second language. I asked the room steward if there were different menus ( meaning different selection of food for North America and he brought me an all English menu, same food.

RS Menu

20190523_145019.thumb.jpg.37e2dabb243f7d4794469bc32954eab1.jpg

20190523_145058.thumb.jpg.d872a630d06eb1761f597ea0e4fe1d20.jpg

20190513_212353.thumb.jpg.acaf0ff6c37e4277a3c1ef3f64f23d81.jpg

Edited by AlanF65

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

....with a transmission range for the infection reported by leading virologists as 200 feet!

Would be interested in references for the 200 foot number.

From those that I know indicate that the corona virus tends to spread in larger droplet sizes that tend to dissipate in 3-6 feet. Unlike diseases such as measles or chick pox that is spread in smaller droplets.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

Would be interested in references for the 200 foot number.

From those that I know indicate that the corona virus tends to spread in larger droplet sizes that tend to dissipate in 3-6 feet. Unlike diseases such as measles or chick pox that is spread in smaller droplets.

Please see earlier post 241 for reference.

Edited by Harry Peterson
Post number added

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

what if the captain wanted to just sail away ? Not sure where he would go but the Christmas Island option sounds better than this.

1. The ship would not be allowed to leave

2. The Captain would end up sitting in a Japanese jail, after finishing his quarantine

3. He would be fired and probably loose his license.

One does not violate quarantine regulations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

have reviewed his blog, twitter feed and published papers cannot find anything and the 200 ft claim related to the current outbreak.

Do you have a reference to where he made or endorsed that statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, npcl said:

have reviewed his blog, twitter feed and published papers cannot find anything and the 200 ft claim related to the current outbreak.

Do you have a reference to where he made or endorsed that statement.

If you listen to the BBC programme linked to, at the point referred to in the post, you’ll hear what he has to say about the current outbreak, and the reference to the 200 feet potential range for infection.

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you listen to the BBC programme linked to, at the point referred to in the post, you’ll hear what he has to say about the current outbreak, and the reference to the 200 feet potential range for infection.

I just listened and heard it at the 3:02 mark.

I fell horrible for all involved. I feel especially bad for people who might be running out of/not have access to supplies that they need/make them comfortable/keep them clean.... 

prescription meds/cigarettes/feminine supplies/incontinence supplies

and what if the stuff isn't prescribed, but needed? like OTC painkillers people take for chronic conditions like arthritis, etc

What a misery.

• Like 2

Anyone know what happened to the gentleman from the U.K. who was posting a video yesterday? He originally posted about his concern for his diabetes, but then he was getting requests from all over the world for interviews from journalists. I can’t find the thread anywhere 

16 minutes ago, luvseadays said:

Anyone know what happened to the gentleman from the U.K. who was posting a video yesterday? He originally posted about his concern for his diabetes, but then he was getting requests from all over the world for interviews from journalists. I can’t find the thread anywhere 

He is on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/david.abel.75

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

As they say context is everything.  

Just prior to that he makes some other contextual comments

such a these type deep lung illness can, if the droplet size is correct, and the virus is carried in very very fine particles,  can theoretically carry as much as 200 feet.

Lot of qualifications, especially the theoretically comment as opposed to practically, expected or observed transmission.

I'm not saying it's true, just saying that's where I heard the comment since the person above asked for the specific location.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

What kind of screening? The person whose case caused all of this had no symptoms at all when starting his cruise or even when he finished his cruise.

The only thing implemented since then is to not allow anyone who has been in China in the previous two weeks from boarding the ship.

Some reports I have seen indicated he did have some symptoms on the cruise (coughing), but did not go to the medical center  and only went to  hospital after he returned home in Hong Kong.

1 minute ago, DivotMaker said:

I'm not saying it's true, just saying that's where I heard the comment since the person above asked for the specific location.

Thank you.  I suspected that it would have those kind of qualifying statements.

On the other hand most publications from medical sources are using the 3-6 feet figure at practical infection range. 

• Like 2