Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

9 minutes ago, npcl said:

Thank you.  I suspected that it would have those kind of qualifying statements.

On the other hand most publications from medical sources are using the 3-6 feet figure at practical infection range. 

You bet.  When I read the other poster's 200 feet comment, I did some research as well and came across the same 3-6 feet generalized statement.  That said, I still wouldn't want to be within 500 feet of an infected person 🙂

2 minutes ago, DivotMaker said:

You bet.  When I read the other poster's 200 feet comment, I did some research as well and came across the same 3-6 feet generalized statement.  That said, I still wouldn't want to be within 500 feet of an infected person 🙂

guess they could put you on a raft with a long rope behind a ship😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

the 3rd UK patient caught the virus in Singapore not in China so I expect if this happens a few time it will impact cruise plans

New Department of Health guidance urges anyone who recently arrived in the UK from mainland China or eight other places to seek help if they are ill.

They are being advised to self-isolate if they have come back from countries including Thailand and Japan.

The countries and territories named by the DoH are:

• Thailand
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan
  • Singapore
  • Malaysia
  • Hong Kong
  • Macau
Edited by fragilek
update

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:

the 3rd UK patient caught the virus in Singapore not in China so I expect if this happens a few time it will impact cruise plans

yep not good.  I expect Thailand and Singapore have a 50/50 change of getting added to the restricted list in the next 3 weeks.  Maybe higher than that.

40 minutes ago, npcl said:

yep not good.  I expect Thailand and Singapore have a 50/50 change of getting added to the restricted list in the next 3 weeks.  Maybe higher than that.

I don't see how any cruise line can consider operating in this area...deal with the ships you have there now and get out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

don't see how any cruise line can consider operating in this area...deal with the ships you have there now and get out.

i so agree. cancel next few cruises, sterilize ship, relocate and then reevaluate your return.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luvseadays said:

Anyone know what happened to the gentleman from the U.K. who was posting a video yesterday? He originally posted about his concern for his diabetes, but then he was getting requests from all over the world for interviews from journalists. I can’t find the thread anywhere 

He was interviewed by BBC News this morning and carried on NPR.  He's well spoken and informative.

• Like 3

Some Americans are asking Trump to get them off the ship . Its possible it could be done. Send transport planes to Yokohama . Either use buses to the airport or send a navy ship or two to take them off. An aircraft Carrier would have room for all of them and they have good medical facilities.  Not sure if viable but worth exploring. The US Navy has two hospital ships birthed in San Diego. Here is the information on them.

When not in use, these ships operate with a skeleton crew. But in as little as five days, each can be converted into a 250-, 500- or 1,000-bed mobile hospital with a crew of 1,200 Navy physicians, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff. These are some of the most highly trained medical personnel in the world – working together as only a Navy crew can – with the skills to handle primary, trauma, pediatric, and orthopedic care. Each ship has 12 operating rooms, with specialized trauma centers and post care-unit beds included.

It is amazing what can be accomplished medically on these ships, both for military personnel and civilians. No wonder these two ships have become a symbol of hope around the globe whenever disaster strikes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

he is so busy hope he has time to keep updating the facebook.  Princess is lucky that he seems to be the "voice" of the ship as many others I am sure would not be so nice about it.

There is a passenger Gay Courter on the ship. Her face book is public so you can view her posts without friending her. 
She posted a picture of sodas and wines delivered to their stateroom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

Reports now of a third cruise ship, HAL's Westerdam, with passengers not being allowed to disembark in Japan.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7974721/Japan-blocks-foreigners-disembarking-cruise-ship.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

This isn’t the first port they have been banned from, it is becoming a cruise to nowhere because they haven’t been allowed to berth anywhere. Has been ongoing for over a week now. Yet I don’t think they have any positive cases, just possibles. 

• Like 2

Sorry for all the quarantined passengers...I can't even imagine what they are going through.

Just occurred to me...I'm also feeling genuinely sad about Japan and the upcoming Olympics.

Will they consider cancelling this year's Olympics?

If not, how many athletes/countries will be banned?

Will a "world class" athlete take a chance? or will he/she cancel?

What about the fans or tourist?

If you were scheduled to go, are you still going?

They've used a cruise ship used for a "hotel" in previous Olympics...will they do that now?

• Like 2

Well we've just booked a May cruise on the Diamond yesterday (guess there is no such thing as bad publicity!)

If the cruise gets canceled, we'll take a land holiday in Japan instead. We certainly have no concerns going there.

I hope the cruise lines won't take any knee jerk action regarding Asia deployment and wait a little longer to see how this plays out.  In the worst scenario this thing will spread around the world much more than it has to date and it could end up being just as prevalent in Europe/N.America/Caribbean as it is becoming in Asia.  What do they do then if it impacts Mediterranean and Alaska sailing in the summer?

As the Diamond is mostly visiting Japanese ports and has high local patronage, I think Princess will leave her there unless the Japanese authorities say otherwise.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pushka said:

This isn’t the first port they have been banned from, it is becoming a cruise to nowhere because they haven’t been allowed to berth anywhere. Has been ongoing for over a week now. Yet I don’t think they have any positive cases, just possibles. 

HAL have made one bad call after another on this Feb. 1 sailing..I cannot even imagine the mood on that ship at this point...I don't think they have docked at one port and right now trying to figure out where to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Some Americans are asking Trump to get them off the ship . Its possible it could be done. Send transport planes to Yokohama . Either use buses to the airport or send a navy ship or two to take them off. An aircraft Carrier would have room for all of them and they have good medical facilities.  Not sure if viable but worth exploring. The US Navy has two hospital ships birthed in San Diego. Here is the information on them.

When not in use, these ships operate with a skeleton crew. But in as little as five days, each can be converted into a 250-, 500- or 1,000-bed mobile hospital with a crew of 1,200 Navy physicians, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff. These are some of the most highly trained medical personnel in the world – working together as only a Navy crew can – with the skills to handle primary, trauma, pediatric, and orthopedic care. Each ship has 12 operating rooms, with specialized trauma centers and post care-unit beds included.

It is amazing what can be accomplished medically on these ships, both for military personnel and civilians. No wonder these two ships have become a symbol of hope around the globe whenever disaster strikes.

The issue with sending hospital ships is that it’s almost 5000 nautical miles from San Diego to Yokohama. Even if they left now and say could make 25 kts, it would still take about 8 days of sailing. The quarantine period would be pretty much over by then and then you have another 8 days sailing back to San Diego. 😉 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Per Dave Abel...another two confirmed cases as of 2/6 7pm usa central time. He is getting VERY concerned that he is learning things not from the captain but from messages from media etc.  There is another report about 70 more cases but not confirmed. He is begging the captain to give them more information.

Australian ABC news has this report

Diamond Princess cruise ship reports dozens of new coronavirus cases

Posted 8 minutes ago

Forty-one new coronavirus infections have been confirmed on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked at Yokohama, according to Japan’s health ministry. 

It brings the total number of confirmed cases on board to 61.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I doubt it, I would have quaffed my Elite mini Bar by day 2.

Apparently someone posted a photo of the wine that was delivered to their cabin.🙂 I think it would be a smart move for the ship to deliver wine or other alcoholic drinks (in limited quantities) to every cabin as requested. It would help dull the pain.

• Like 2

Just think, if they release Australians they will be sent to Christmas Island 1700 miles from Australia for two weeks.   Don’t know if the food or accommodations there will match those of their cabins on the Dawn Princess.   At least with being confined to their cabins they should be free to disembark in 14 days.   U.S. is housing evacuees in Military quarters in the U.S. for 14 days, what is Great Britain doing with their evacuees?

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Australian ABC news has this report

Diamond Princess cruise ship reports dozens of new coronavirus cases

Posted 8 minutes ago

Forty-one new coronavirus infections have been confirmed on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked at Yokohama, according to Japan’s health ministry. 

It brings the total number of confirmed cases on board to 61.

this is unbelievable...the passengers still are only being told 20. If this new total is correct clearly many were infected from contact over the last two weeks...what a horrific situation and passengers are not being told.