Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

I can't help thinking about anyone who may have sailed single on the ship and who may or may not also be in an inside cabin. It would almost be like being placed in solitary confinement. Their only human contact being a meal delivery three times a day. I'm just praying there aren't any on this cruise. A phone and the internet are poor substitutes for actual human contact and touch. 14 days is a long time to go without.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Very concerning especially if you’re made to stay in your cabin. Let’s hope passengers can get out of their cabins and eat normally as they do. Even though they’re confined to a ship .

They are on isolation while quarantined. Otherwise say day 5 someone gets sick and they all have to start again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Prayers for all involved... the passengers, the crew members, AND the cruise lines that we all enjoy so much.  

So hard on everyone.  

Horrible for all involved...the crew members deserve a massive bonus and time off after this.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this situation!!   I definitely feel for those who are stuck onboard, and especially for those who don't have enough medication to treat ongoing medical conditions!  In some ways, though, I imagine this to be optimal - perhaps ships should be rented out to governments to provide isolation for returning travelers? 

It sounds like people globally are doing a rotten job at self-quarantine - either not believing that they can possibly be infected, or not caring of they infect others.  To protect the population as a whole, we might have little choice but to enforce isolation on suspected cases.  200sf cells are far from optimal, but ships might realistically be preferable to barracks or hotels on land.  

I hope the crew is well compensated for all this.  It's really just difficult to even imagine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Virga said:

I hope the crew is well compensated for all this

what is the crew doing that they don't normally do ?  cooks still cooking - waiters/staff are now food/beverage runners to the cabins - stewart still stewarding - maybe some extra cleaning ?

it's not a good situation for all

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what is the crew doing that they don't normally do ?  cooks still cooking - waiters/staff are now food/beverage runners to the cabins - stewart still stewarding - maybe some extra cleaning ?

Not quite normal.  Normally they just go through the swinging doors to fetch plates from the galley to the MDR, and perhaps an escalator.   Now it is elevators, many decks, and long hallways spanning the length of the ship.

But I agree with you, not a good situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SakeDad said:

However some cruisers are being told epidemics are NOT covered reasons to cancel so if you don't have "for any reason" you may be in for a very rude awakening.

That's exactly why I noted that your policy will need to have that 'cancel for any reason' clause.  For me, I'd be happy enough with cruise credits as I will always use them.  

No way would I even change traveling to  Asia right now.  I would take the cruise credits.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

... They're working with little to no expectation of tips, which make up a significant portion of their income.  Unless you think these quarantined passengers are going to tip at the same rate as happy vacationers? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Virga said:

... They're working with little to no expectation of tips, which make up a significant portion of their income.  Unless you think these quarantined passengers are going to tip at the same rate as happy vacationers? 

OK, the ones in the 'tipped positions' - but what % of the total 'crew' is that ??

but agreed, prolly not gonna charge the passengers the extra 14 days of grats, huh ?

My questions are "curiosity based."

1.  What are smokers doing. Since ( I'm guessing) they can't get to designated smoking areas?

2.  Cam passengers in balcony cabins go out on their balcony where they can chat with their neighbors?

Greg

I wonder what the phsycological effects on people trapped in inside or ocean view cabins with no access to sunlight or fresh air never mind the trauma of being kept a prisoner in solitary confinement will be. With no proper access to food and drink. 

I certainly know if this happened to me I would need significant counselling afterwards if I was in such a situation.

Horrific situation for all passengers on board. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Inside cabin passengers and many crew members stuck inside with no sky, sun, moon.

(Is there is a bow/stern camera view broadcast on TV for INSIDERS to at least see the outside?)

Drinkers unable to receive drinks.

Smokers unable to smoke.

None of those issues are as big as the virus, but those issues can lead to other medical and/or mental health issues for passengers who are alcohol dependant, nicotine dependant, or claustrophobic.

I think that I would smoke anyway.  Seriously, what could they do - kick me off the ship?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

My questions are "curiosity based."

1.  What are smokers doing. Since ( I'm guessing) they can't get to designated smoking areas?

2.  Cam passengers in balcony cabins go out on their balcony where they can chat with their neighbors?

Greg

There is active cruise critic member stuck on that boat in a balcony cabin, actively granting press interviews via Skype, etc.  They can go on the balcony, where you can chat up neighbors.

I've read elsewhere that smoking is prohibited.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kimba2 said:

I think that I would smoke anyway.  Seriously, what could they do - kick me off the ship?  

If that works for getting ejected off the ship, perhaps many will take up smoking

Edited by mpk
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Virga said:

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this situation!!   I definitely feel for those who are stuck onboard, and especially for those who don't have enough medication to treat ongoing medical conditions!  In some ways, though, I imagine this to be optimal - perhaps ships should be rented out to governments to provide isolation for returning travelers? 

It sounds like people globally are doing a rotten job at self-quarantine - either not believing that they can possibly be infected, or not caring of they infect others.  To protect the population as a whole, we might have little choice but to enforce isolation on suspected cases.  200sf cells are far from optimal, but ships might realistically be preferable to barracks or hotels on land.  

I hope the crew is well compensated for all this.  It's really just difficult to even imagine. 

😶 I hadn't even thought about that!! I usually only travel with what I need, will cruise next time (March 2020) with that + 10 days

Missed Dog's post where Princess can handle that ..... still not trusting 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Overall - I don't mind inside cabins. Though it has bitten me twice recently where the ship lost air conditioning for a short time but my cabin got really hot very quick and on my last cruise, air worked fine in the morning but by 11 pm it was over 80. On my next trip I booked a balcony just for that reason. I don't plan on using the balcony much (not a fan of the chairs) but I can get air in case my room gets hot (or worse, if I am confined).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mpk said:

There is active cruise critic member stuck on that boat in a balcony cabin, actively granting press interviews via Skype, etc.  They can go on the balcony, where you can chat up neighbors.

I've read elsewhere that smoking is prohibited.

Thanks, the first answer is somewhat disturbing; sort of defeats the purpose of a quarantine.  If not smokers are not smoking,  they must be going through some sort of withdrawal; if they re smoking,  cabin cleanup will be a bit more difficult. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Virga said:

bet some are offering "tips" for booze and better/more food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

bet some are offering "tips" for booze and better/more food.

you beat me to it ! 🤑

wonder when/if they will open the bars up for 'room service' ?  what would be the harm in delivering some drinks / wine / buckets of beer ?

8 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Thanks, the first answer is somewhat disturbing; sort of defeats the purpose of a quarantine.  If not smokers are not smoking,  they must be going through some sort of withdrawal; if they re smoking,  cabin cleanup will be a bit more difficult. 

A bit more difficult than sanitizing an entire ship exposed to the virus?  Smoking is probably the least of the cleanup problems, especially if passengers are being asked not to flush.