Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

43 minutes ago, npcl said:

They are now using clinical diagnosis, in addition to confirmed tests.  The paper that came out a few days ago that everyone speculated about it showing 1 case with 24 incubation time, real purpose was to take a look at clinical symptoms in 1000 patients.  One of the things that the paper talked about was using lung cat scans.  It now appears that China is now including patients that show the disease on lung cat scans, but have not been tested.  That is where the big jump came from. 

Do you ever wonder why we’re still trying to talk any sense? 🙂 People are going to go insane over the new numbers from the new clinical diagnosis, and I think I probably better call it a night and watch Netflix.

Good luck if you carry on, and thanks for trying.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, sawtooth said:

China just reported over 14,000 new cases of the virus.  Apparently changed how they are reporting.😳

China quarantined people in their homes, there is a shortage of masks and medical supplies and they have community policing being really aggressive in neighborhoods. It is impossible for China to provide an accurate count of sick and dead.  I do not even believe it is a case of China suppressing information now, I believe the Government just could not get an accurate count, even if they wanted to.... and they may never.

The confusing part is why is it so contagious in some areas? And not in others?  The suspected "patient 0" in this case, may have started this whole thing, But at the time Diamond's "patient 0" boarded this ship, thousands of others from that area were moving around the continent and presumably boarding planes, trains, buses, other ships, going to work in office buildings and factories but there's no other mass outbreaks like we see here and in regions of China.  It's bizarre.

4 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I love the that some of the passengers are leaving little thank you notes on their doors for crew. Also on twitter there is a interview with a crew member from their perspective. I found that an interesting read. 

Yes!!  Those are surely appreciated by the crew.  

Well, remember those test kits for the virus that the CDC sent out to the states a couple of days ago?   It turns out that they don't work.   This makes me think that the 'canonical' test used by the CDC probably does not work very well either.   It would explain why we have seen less spread in the United States than in other countries or than onboard the ship, because the test doesn't work!

Also there was an enormous jump in the number of cases and fatalities in China perhaps due to reporting changes.   And Japan is out of test kits.

So here is what a virologist looking at the studies from China concludes that we are in for.   (He is a good feed to follow)

Reports from China on the clinical presentation are limited to novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP) patients.

🛡

Of patients with NCIP, 30% develop difficulty breathing five days after onset of illness (range 1–10 days) disease, and about 18% appear to progress to severe disease, including pneumonia, respiratory failure and in some cases death.

🛡

Fever, dry non-productive cough and fatigue are common symptoms.

Obviously this is early days still and the sample is skewed to people with symptoms bad enough that they wanted to go to the hospital (although now apparently in China they fight to NOT be sent to the hospital).   So take it with a  grain of salt but if you require oxygen make sure to stock up now.  (Oxygen therapy is used extensively for this disease.)   Nobody really knows how widespread this will get, but the experience of the poor ship passengers tells us that this will be likely widespread globally.   

Good luck everybody.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I assume this will be staged in some way, or are they swapping out the entire crew in one turn around?

If you referring to the Diamond I suspect that the entire crew will be giving leave once quarantine is lifted, except for the crew and officers required to move it to a special service facility, at which point the rest of the crew will be given leave. At that point there will probably be a temporary master who also is a qualified ships surveyor put in charge with a fresh but temporary engineering crew to maintain systems while a clean up team works on all of the ships components that could have been exposed to the virus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timbom said:

At the current time the Red Cross in the US is working with Health and Human Services to support the evacuates from china at the various military bases in the US.  I find it hard to believe that the Japanese Red Cross could not support the feeding on this ship..

HHS has done a wonderful job of preparing all of our POE for this emergency and hopefully they will never have this sort of problem. 

Why Japan can not take all of the passengers to one of the US or Japanese bases in Japan and quarantine them there is beyond me.  

There are more passengers on the ship than in all of the quarantine centers in the US.  In the US the military agreed to house a total of 1000.  Those are spread out over several different locations.  At the one in San Diego there was a bit of a mix up and someone that tested positive was put back into quarantine by mistake.

A number of people are also being tracked on self isolation, in addition to those in the quarantine locations, which are primarily for the people the US brought back on the charter flights from Wuhan.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Well, remember those test kits for the virus that the CDC sent out to the states a couple of days ago?   It turns out that they don't work.   This makes me think that the 'canonical' test used by the CDC probably does not work very well either.   It would explain why we have seen less spread in the United States than in other countries or than onboard the ship, because the test doesn't work!

Also there was an enormous jump in the number of cases and fatalities in China perhaps due to reporting changes.   And Japan is out of test kits.

So here is what a virologist looking at the studies from China concludes that we are in for.   (He is a good feed to follow)

Reports from China on the clinical presentation are limited to novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia (NCIP) patients.

🛡

Of patients with NCIP, 30% develop difficulty breathing five days after onset of illness (range 1–10 days) disease, and about 18% appear to progress to severe disease, including pneumonia, respiratory failure and in some cases death.

🛡

Fever, dry non-productive cough and fatigue are common symptoms.

Obviously this is early days still and the sample is skewed to people with symptoms bad enough that they wanted to go to the hospital (although now apparently in China they fight to NOT be sent to the hospital).   So take it with a  grain of salt but if you require oxygen make sure to stock up now.  (Oxygen therapy is used extensively for this disease.)   Nobody really knows how widespread this will get, but the experience of the poor ship passengers tells us that this will be likely widespread globally.   

Good luck everybody.

The tests that the CDC sent out were giving inconclusive results with a number of patients (neither negative or positive).

The test that the CDC runs in their own labs have not had that problem.  Thus the recall.

The Chinese are now using chest cat scans to make a clinical diagnosis and reporting those results in addition to the tests. Basically they are not testing those people that show meet the clinical diagnosis, both saving time, as well as saving the tests for those that do not have symptoms that meet the clinical diagnosis (primarily lung involvement on cat scan).

The paper a few days ago that raised the uproar over the 1 patient that had 24 day incubation time, was an evaluation of 1000 patients from a clinical perspective and seems to provide the basis for the clinical diagnosis.

• Like 1

From what I saw on Twitte of Matthew Smith they are no in an inside cabin- their room looks like even a bigger Suite then this of Sally and David Abel. Which of course is a good thing in those dire circumstances.

I think those Inside cabins are hard to sell in the next months! I never had one myself- but I am sure I would go grazy or at least mad as a hatter!

I suspect that the doctors in Wuan 

40 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Speculation at its best.

Media reports are that at least one Diamond crew member is sick.   If the folks preparing the in flight meals at Haneda International Airport are infected they may as well let the passengers out to roam the discos of Yokohama since the entire world would already have the virus.

218 cases now. Just the one crew member so far. It’s never ending. Also read that preparations are in place for evacuation of elderly and those with serious issues as long as they test negative. To go to a mainland center. 

40 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

From what I saw on Twitte of Matthew Smith they are no in an inside cabin- their room looks like even a bigger Suite then this of Sally and David Abel. Which of course is a good thing in those dire circumstances.

I think those Inside cabins are hard to sell in the next months! I never had one myself- but I am sure I would go grazy or at least mad as a hatter!

You could be right. I have misread his post of  stating in-cabin as inside cabin. 

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

There is bad news and there is good news. The bad news - 44 new infections including one crew member.

The good news - Some passengers, the elderly and those in inside cabins will be allowed to disembark on Friday if they test negative to the virus. They will stay in a government facilitiy to complete their quarantine.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There is bad news and there is good news. The bad news - 44 new infections including one crew member.

The good news - Some passengers, the elderly and those in inside cabins will be allowed to disembark on Friday if they test negative to the virus. They will stay in a government facilitiy to complete their quarantine.

Inside cabin people will be praying that they test negative. The recirculated air cannot be good for them. I travel mainly in inside cabins, but I might be rethinking my choice next time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Inside cabin people will be praying that they test negative. The recirculated air cannot be good for them. I travel mainly in inside cabins, but I might be rethinking my choice next time. 

Out of the thousands of cruises a year, this is the first one in memory that has been quarantined.  I would not change my cabin preferences based on this one outlier event.

• Like 3