Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

I can't imagine any "boss" not being understanding and my bet is the bulk of these passengers are retired or do not have to report to anyone.

I image most companies being understanding enough not to fire the employee, but would not be surprised if many wind up with a two week UNPAID leave, which can wreck havoc on a budget.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kimba2 said:

I think that I would smoke anyway.  Seriously, what could they do - kick me off the ship?  

It’s been years since I quit that nasty addiction - but when I traveled as a smoker I usually carried enough packs to get me through my travels and a little extra but not enough extra for 14 days & the ship stores are closed so no resupply. So @ some point most smokers, whether they obey the no smoking edict or not, will become @ least temporary non smokers if only because they’ve run out of cig.s.

I always take a cross stitch project and knitting mostly to do on long plane flights, but at least I’d have that to occupy me if I was sentenced to solitary confinement on a cruise ship. Someone upthread wondered about solo travelers, IME most solos are comfortable with solitude - maybe not 14 days worth - but still they have experience w/ it, I’m more concerned with those in packed cabins or cabins w/ children needing to be entertained. Not being able to excercize except for pacing in the very small space of the cabin would be hardest for me, I think.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, sndral said:

It’s been years since I quit that nasty addiction - but when I traveled as a smoker I usually carried enough packs to get me through my travels and a little extra but not enough extra for 14 days & the ship stores are closed so no resupply. So @ some point most smokers, whether they obey the no smoking edict or not, will become @ least temporary non smokers if only because they’ve run out of cig.s.

I always take a cross stitch project and knitting mostly to do on long plane flights, but at least I’d have that to occupy me if I was sentenced to solitary confinement on a cruise ship. Someone upthread wondered about solo travelers, IME most solos are comfortable with solitude - maybe not 14 days worth - but still they have experience w/ it, I’m more concerned with those in packed cabins or cabins w/ children needing to be entertained. Not being able to excercize except for pacing in the very small space of the cabin would be hardest for me, I think.

I would say the exact opposite. I travel solo as my friends do not like cruising but I am a social butterfly and being detained in a cabin with nothing to do would drive me literally insane.

At least with others you can talk, play games a get to bond

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, sndral said:

Someone upthread wondered about solo travelers, IME most solos are comfortable with solitude - maybe not 14 days worth - but still they have experience w/ it, I’m more concerned with those in packed cabins or cabins w/ children needing to be entertained. Not being able to excercize except for pacing in the very small space of the cabin would be hardest for me, I think.

This is an odd assumption to make. I know a lot of people who travel solo who are more social and outgoing than several married friends I have. There really is no correlation here.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrp96 said:

I know it's the least of the passengers worries right now, but I can't help but thinking how the call to work about coming back from vacation two weeks late is going to go. Hopefully, they will be understanding but I could see somebody being put into a tight pinch if they have a bad boss.

Most companies are just coming up with their pandemic plans or brushing up the ones they have.

if they had returned home they would have been told to isolate for 14 days as has been done in two cases I know about - that is if they made it through the border without being sent to quarantine.

56 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I heard more passengers on board tested positive? I would be crawling up a wall and back down it since I usually sail solo. 

where did you hear that?  There are about 3700 passengers and just a small number were tested and 10 are positive. I think there will be more but have not seen confirmation yet.

1 hour ago, sndral said:

Someone upthread wondered about solo travelers, IME most solos are comfortable with solitude - maybe not 14 days worth - but still they have experience w/ it, 

57 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is an odd assumption to make. I know a lot of people who travel solo who are more social and outgoing than several married friends I have. There really is no correlation here.

I think sndral may have meant that solos are more practised at spending time alone. We don't always have a companion at every meal or every point of the day. It's not that we may not be 'outgoing', but we end up -- through exposure -- being used to it and perhaps better able to cope.

I can't count the amount of travel I've done on my own, for business and leisure -- I've eaten many dinners at restaurants by myself and do not feel self-conscious or "lonely"; sometimes if I am on a land trip by myself I may go an entire day without speaking to anyone else other than, perhaps, to order a meal.

I am on a HAL cruise around Japan in April, solo and in an inside cabin. I am a bit concerned about the situation but I am not letting my imagination run away with me. It is surely not considered "solitary confinement" when one has access to the internet and phone to chat with family and friends (and apparently TV reporters).  I always bring a Kindle full of unread books, there is TV, I really can't see it being a huge stretch...

Of course on HAL there is still a comfortable place to sit in the cabin, even in an inside. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is all so stressful for all involved! What about couples onboard who have their children being looked after at home by a babysitter, grandparents, or other family member? I can't imagine the initial panic that would come from trying to manage that situation while quarantined on a cruise ship possibly thousands of miles away from home. 😰My thoughts are with everyone this impacts. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

My questions are "curiosity based."

1.  What are smokers doing. Since ( I'm guessing) they can't get to designated smoking areas?

Seems like an ideal situation in which to give up smoking and improve ones health.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Seems like an ideal situation in which to give up smoking and improve ones health.

Easy for an outsider to say.  I don't smoke, never have, but these folks are in an incredibly stressful situation right now, and to offhandedly comment like that is not helpful to anyone.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think sndral may have meant that solos are more practised at spending time alone. We don't always have a companion at every meal or every point of the day. It's not that we may not be 'outgoing', but we end up -- through exposure -- being used to it and perhaps better able to cope.

Again, I disagree. It is making a lot of assumptions about a person's life based on how many people are in a cabin. For example, there are many times that I traveled with friends but we each get our own cabin.

You can't assume that someone who is traveling solo is used to spending more time by themselves. Or assume that a couple in a cabin are with each other at every meal or attached to each other during their vacation. 

1 minute ago, junglejane said:

10 more passengers test positive, total now 20

Okay...two reports ...I think the number is going to continue to raise as they evaluate everyone...I have to think it could be a staff person...not sure if any of them have been taken off?  This seems more than one man that got off in HK (age 80) who maybe got symptoms faster due to age? I wonder how current they are keeping passengers on this info....lost track of the guy on facebook...they now have a closed group just for passengers.  I would be going crazy.

• Like 1

The second lot of 10 people would still have been among the original group whose tests were in progress, and presumably they were people that had some symptoms or were known to have been in contact with the original carrier.

One crew member was among the first 10 confirmed with the virus.

And, yes, given the virus is very virulent, one person is all that would be needed to start the whole chain of events on the ship.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gvre said:

We are booked on Diamond B2B April 2nd thru the 20th .

We have decided to cancel both cruises. It is just not worth the risk for us.

Princess charged us 20% of the cruise fare and our flight cancellation was $400

I am sorry to hear this. I have to say I would probably have done the same thing. I have a trip in another part of the world at the same time and am somewhat worried because "this could easily spread quickly". 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am sorry to hear this. I have to say I would probably have done the same thing. I have a trip in another part of the world at the same time and am somewhat worried because "this could easily spread quickly". 

I canceled 3 cruises, but more because it was a complex trip involve long international flight, 7 days there, 14 day cruise, 10 day cruise, 1 day in the city, then 16 days on a different cruise line.  Just pickup cruise crud on the b2b could keep me off of the third. Also it was mostly to ports in the south pacific and on the last cruise 5 out of the 6 ports have already announced that they are dropping cruise ships.  As such decided not worth the hassle to end up on cruises that are probably not going to the ports I booked them for.

I still have cruises booked in Europe and South America, but they are more fly, do the cruise, spend a few days after, then fly home.  Far less chance for problems in the current environment where one does not know which new travel restrictions will be put in place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, npcl said:

I still have cruises booked in Europe and South America, but they are more fly, do the cruise, spend a few days after, then fly home.  Far less chance for problems in the current environment where one does not know which new travel restrictions will be put in place. 

I have a month in Europe planned on a ship and a few days in Paris after. Not an issue now. Just keeping my options open. I double insured (for a different reason as this wasn't an issue when I made final payment) so I can use Princess's cancel for any reason.

I disembarked the Diamond Princess on the day the coronavirus passenger embarked (Jan 20).  However,  I have wondered whether any passengers on the Jan 6 - Jan 20 became ill on the cruise or have come down with an illness after the cruise - or if there has been any follow up with the passengers from that sailing.    My cabin mate was ill on the ship and is still recovering - she has not been tested for the virus and seems to be responding to antibiotics which indicates a bacterial vs viral infection.   

• Like 3