Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

1 hour ago, LoriPhil said:

I’m curious why some would elect to stay on the ship rather than head home on the flight, since it appears there is no way to avoid additional quarantine time.  

Others have listed reasons why one might stay, but another possibility is if an American's spouse tested positive and was in the hospital in Japan. In that case, the American might not want to go back to the US immediately and would prefer to be at least somewhat near their hospitalized spouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

We would not think that either the  Japanese government or our government would allow infected people to board the planes .They must be tested prior to getting on the plane . From what we understand is any US citizen tested positive will be denied boarding the planes

If I understood correctly, they’re not testing everyone before they board the evac planes. They’re simply screening for symptoms, which is next to nothing IMO. Anyone can lie, and the other thread of a Canadian couple saying they hadn’t reported their fever for a few days is a prime example. The poor crew was put at risk serving them each day they were sick. Even a temperature check wouldn’t cover the asymptomatic positives. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, caribill said:

Still better than 14 days quarantine away from home in California or Texas.

Guess who will pay to get to their homes after the USA 14 day quarantine period is over. That certainly would not be Princess.

Has Princess said one way or the other?  Relative to all the other. expenses a domestic flight for the final leg is pretty  inexpensive.  I bet Princess pays it. Not paying undercuts their overall PR approach for this disaster.

1 hour ago, pink845 said:

But of course, during that time period, their dishes, towels, etc. would have been taken away from the cruise staff, etc.... perhaps spreading germs along the way.

Crew are all gloved and masked when dealing with passengers and passenger's dishes.  Dishwashers are commercial types that are designed to sanitize dishes, unlike home ones.  Laundry, as far as I've heard has not been done since quarantine was implemented.

The fact that the couple have had the symptoms for at least a week, leads me to believe they contracted it ashore.  Also, there is no confirmation that any of the "new" cases are contracted onboard, or whether they were simply in the incubation period until symptoms showed up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kenswing said:

Seems crazy that under the circumstances the US government would put a luggage restriction on these folks.  They have been through enough and now they can't even bring all of their belongings home?  I understand that there are weight limits on these aircraft but it just seems like an unnecessary bureaucratic restriction.

• Like 2

From a diamond princess passenger:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/f3hcea/part_2_im_a_us_citizen_aboard_the_diamond/

Copied from the above post on 2/15 at 16:00 hrs. 

My wife and I are concerned. We will all be tested pre-flight, but no results will be available. We will be on a flight in close quarters for 12 hours or so with potential CoVid-19 cases. There’s no guarantee of being at the same air base, or not being separated. Our quarantine on the boat will have basically been for nothing, and we’ll start over again. We called the embassy - they said that the flight will not be pleasant as we’ll be required to keep N95 masks on the entire time. They also stated that we will be denied entry to America should we refuse this flight for (estimated) two weeks or more - there wasn’t definitive information on this. They said living conditions will be around that of a motel/training camp for military recruits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Thanks for sharing.  This is not good, there could be others infected in the incubation stage.  Unlikely that passenger caught it on their 6 hour port stop in Taiwan.  Even so, there were days where he was contagious towards the end.  Imagine being on that plane?

Yep. We have no idea how many carriers flew out of Cambodia over the past couple of days. Scary stuff for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

It says the evacuation to the USA is voluntary.

If I was in that situation, I would rather spend three more days on the ship than have to spend 14 more days in quarantine in the USA, still away from home and probably without all the amenities that Princess has provided.

I do wonder whose bright idea it was to do this before the ship quarantine ended instead of just after.

Are you thinking that after what  has happened to Wasterdamn and what is happening in Diamond, aftergetting off ship, US will allow you to enter country without 14 days quarrantine?

Evacuation should have taken place a week earlier.

"Quarrantine" on the ship was to protect spread in Japan, it was not to protect pax from each other.

Real victims are poor crew members.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Still better than 14 days quarantine away from home in California or Texas.

Guess who will pay to get to their homes after the USA 14 day quarantine period is over. That certainly would not be Princess.

After all these, a 200 USD one way ticket is the concern of top priority????

Highest priority should be NOT allowing anyone in general population withpit proper quarrantine in USA (any quarrantine on that ship is meaningless)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Seems crazy that under the circumstances the US government would put a luggage restriction on these folks.  They have been through enough and now they can't even bring all of their belongings home?  I understand that there are weight limits on these aircraft but it just seems like an unnecessary bureaucratic restriction.

If my govt is rescuing me from a dissatrous situation after spending huge amount of money, resources and goodwill, I would just say thank you rather than whine about not being able to bring all luggage WITH me. IMHO.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

After all these, a 200 USD one way ticket is the concern of top priority????

Highest priority should be NOT allowing anyone in general population withpit proper quarrantine in USA (any quarrantine on that ship is meaningless)

The US Public Health Hospitals that were designed for quarantine among other things were closed nearly 40 years ago. What is available now, appears to be from news articles accommodation in a motel like building on an airbase.

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yep. We have no idea how many carriers flew out of Cambodia over the past couple of days. Scary stuff for sure.

For the last few days, have heard of cases from Chineese community where people have flown from mainland china to Indonesia and then flown to Toronto on separate ticket and then picked up by a family meber and driven across border into NYC.

Most likely these people have no virus. But shows that containment is not easy.

Just as pax on cruise ships have been lying/hiding sickness, other folks also have been finding loopholes.

11 hours ago, dog said:

Not confirmed but news reports saying crew will be quarantined onboard Diamond for 14 days after passengers disembark. sorry i cannot post links.

Anyone know if this is true?

Keenly waiting to get some confirmation on this ... has anyone heard more info overnight or can provide a reputable source please?  

6 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:

Keenly waiting to get some confirmation on this ... has anyone heard more info overnight or can provide a reputable source please?  

The latest Princess video from Jan Swartz says this. I'm not sure if it has been confirmed, but that is the information Princess seems to have been given.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

2 pieces of luggage  = 1 person that could;d board. 

10 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

The latest Princess video from Jan Swartz says this. I'm not sure if it has been confirmed, but that is the information Princess seems to have been given.

Thank you so much - found the video and agree that crew quarantine seems likely. Guess I'll stop planning for my supposed March 15th departure 😕

• Like 2

I'm not sure if people are really complaining about luggage allowance. I saw an American's Twitter feed that talked about how he had decided not to take the flight for various reasons, and then later noted that he wouldn't have been allowed on anyway because of the luggage limit. It didn't seem like that was at all what was driving his decision, though. He was more concerned about being in a plane for 10+ hours sitting next to people who might be infected but not showing up positive on tests yet.

But I could also see the luggage limit being the last little straw that pushed that someone over the edge. I know when I get super-stressed and worried, it's the least little thing that can put me over the edge. So I can see having all these decisions to make at the last minute, without a doctor to consult, and then finding out that your second suitcase of clothes and souvenirs can't make it on board might be the one little thing that pushes someone over the edge. Heck, when I was in the hospital unexpectedly and stressed out over things and sick I was doing okay holding it together until my short-term disability people told me I needed to fax them some form that day. And I lost it, because I'd been sick and confined in uncertainty in a hospital bed for several days and had no idea how I could fax them anything and was worrying about my health and how my mortgage would get paid and all that, so the need to fax something just pushed me over the edge into a mini-breakdown.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

I'm not sure if people are really complaining about luggage allowance. I saw an American's Twitter feed that talked about how he had decided not to take the flight for various reasons, and then later noted that he wouldn't have been allowed on anyway because of the luggage limit. It didn't seem like that was at all what was driving his decision, though. He was more concerned about being in a plane for 10+ hours sitting next to people who might be infected but not showing up positive on tests yet.

But I could also see the luggage limit being the last little straw that pushed that someone over the edge. I know when I get super-stressed and worried, it's the least little thing that can put me over the edge. So I can see having all these decisions to make at the last minute, without a doctor to consult, and then finding out that your second suitcase of clothes and souvenirs can't make it on board might be the one little thing that pushes someone over the edge. Heck, when I was in the hospital unexpectedly and stressed out over things and sick I was doing okay holding it together until my short-term disability people told me I needed to fax them some form that day. And I lost it, because I'd been sick and confined in uncertainty in a hospital bed for several days and had no idea how I could fax them anything and was worrying about my health and how my mortgage would get paid and all that, so the need to fax something just pushed me over the edge into a mini-breakdown.

Just wear all of your cloths that won't fit in your suitcase. lol

Just now, Christine Frances said:

If it were me, I would wait out the original 14 day quarantine and then disembark and spend a relaxing week in Japan touring around. My insurance would cover my flight home.   Making lemonade 🙂

I am not sure that is an option.

• Like 3