Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

12 hours ago, Wildblue said:

Oh, man.  Having sailed on the Diamond only a year ago, I'm particularly saddened to have watched this story unfold.  And that more and more passengers fall sick.  It seems like quarantining everybody onboard has had the side effect of infecting other healthy passengers (and I assume crew) onboard.  Continuing to watch this story.

The authorities (Japanese Ministry of Health and the US CDC) do not believe that the infection has spread through the ship since the quarantine and isolation of the passengers was put in place. That was the reason for confining the passengers to their cabins.

BTW, this has been a hot topic for debate on this forum.🙂 My opinion (for what it is worth) is that the authorities are correct and, other than the partner of an infected person, there has been no, or minimal spread of the infection after the isolation was put into place.

10 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I saw this article mentioning the $1100:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/safe-quarantine-u-s-worried-about-family-back-home-china-n1132881

This one too:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/health/federal-quarantine-what-it-means-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

But to be clear Aus Traveler was quoting that price as the cost Wuhan evacuees were charged, not passengers on the Diamond Princess. Though as a guess I'd expect it to be reasonably similar.

I don't believe the US government could evacuate people from the Diamond and not charge the same as they charged for evacuees from Wuhan BUT, in my opinion, it is likely that Princess will pay for their evacuation. Once they are in the US, the cost of quarantine presumably will be covered by the US government.

10 hours ago, sppunk said:

Our friends who are literally onboard are the source. The cabin mate would have to stay another 14 days. 

... and a spokesman for the Japanese Ministry of Health stated a few days ago that the passengers would be released from quarantine on the 19th, EXCEPT those who had been in close contact with an infected person. They would have another 14 day quarantine.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

UK Foreign Office said no a while ago, but that could change.

David Abel - FB Guru on DP wants Sir Richard Branson to take a plane load back to UK - 70 British pax.

Re Aussies, Chief Medical Officer for Australia is on way to Japan to assess possible evacuation scenario.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

It says the evacuation to the USA is voluntary.

If I was in that situation, I would rather spend three more days on the ship than have to spend 14 more days in quarantine in the USA, still away from home and probably without all the amenities that Princess has provided.

I do wonder whose bright idea it was to do this before the ship quarantine ended instead of just after.

My first thought was like yours - I would rather stay on the ship for a few more days rather than sit in a bus then a plane close to others who could be infected, then spend 14 more days in quarantine. But that was until I read the letter from the US government that said that if people do not accept the offer of evacuating from the ship, they "will not be able to return to the US for some time". That would be worrying. Presumably they would have to stay in Japan for this indeterminate length of time, and, who knows, even then have to go into quarantine.

As much as I would like to believe that the quarantine is working the current thinking of governments appears to be that it is not.

From what I have read and from Princess CEO herself where shes states that the crew will begin quarantine after the last passenger is disembarked.

The US mercy flight will only take passengers that have tested negative and not been in contact with anyone who has tested positive during the quarantine. They will all still be quarantined for a further 14 days State side. Those who have tested positive are still going to be under the Japanese health ministry and will be in hospital in Japan.

I think all passengers and crew have a long way to go yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Te Aroha said:

As much as I would like to believe that the quarantine is working the current thinking of governments appears to be that it is not.

From what I have read and from Princess CEO herself where shes states that the crew will begin quarantine after the last passenger is disembarked.

The US mercy flight will only take passengers that have tested negative and not been in contact with anyone who has tested positive during the quarantine. They will all still be quarantined for a further 14 days State side. Those who have tested positive are still going to be under the Japanese health ministry and will be in hospital in Japan.

I think all passengers and crew have a long way to go yet. 

Ironically, it would appear that those who tested positive a week ago may end up being home sooner than those who are still on the ship..

From what I have heard from those posting on social media, those that tested positive require two negative tests to be considered clear.

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I misunderstood the post.

I believe that Japan will be expecting the folks in the hospital to pay the bills.  Hopefully Princess or insurance will pick up the costs.

In most case yes, unclear in case of hospitalization while in quarantine, where the patient has no freedom of action.  

Edited by npcl

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Ironically, it would appear that those who tested positive a week ago may end up being home sooner than those who are still on the ship..

From what I have heard from those posting on social media, those that tested positive require two negative tests to be considered clear.

Yes. That is quite a distinct possibility assuming they are recovering well. 

3 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

My guess is that they would have been thankful had this action been taken at the beginning. What this action says now is "The past 11 days locked up on the ship have been for nothing."

I don't agree that the 11 days locked up on the ship have been for nothing. 286 people have been found to have the virus - that is 286 people who otherwise would have gone to their home country (for some that is Japan).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Christine Frances said:

2 pieces of luggage  = 1 person that could board. 

No.

The letter said checked luggage was limited to 70 pounds per person. That is a low limit, but it does not say it has to be in a single suitcase.

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The authorities (Japanese Ministry of Health and the US CDC) do not believe that the infection has spread through the ship since the quarantine and isolation of the passengers was put in place. That was the reason for confining the passengers to their cabins.

BTW, this has been a hot topic for debate on this forum.🙂 My opinion (for what it is worth) is that the authorities are correct and, other than the partner of an infected person, there has been no, or minimal spread of the infection after the isolation was put into place.

I am not sure that they still feel that way.  The most recent group of 67 new cases, with 4 days to go, well after the median of 6.5 days.  Would certainly raise concern. One would expect the number of new cases to have dropped off quickly once the median time was passed. Now we don't have access to a patient breakdown (# crew, passengers in cabins with cases identified, cases in cabins without prior diagnosis, etc) but the number of new cases, coupled with the change in mindset towards quarantine on shore, national evacuation with quarantine in home country, would certainly imply that the mindset of ending the quarantine on Feb 19th for most passengers on board has changed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

A senior Australian Health official has just arrived in Japan to determine the next phase for Australians. My best guess is that the Australian Government will repatriate them after testing negative. I’m just not sure if they will then go into isolation in Australia - I’m not sure if we have any further facilities available, although the first batch will be leaving Christmas Island I think soon. Obviously none of us know the background discussions. 

I don’t think Japan will simply allow the passengers to walk down the gangway and leave. 

There was a short discussion on one of the Crystal forum threads about the Australian government checking out a resort hotel in Queensland for use as a quarantine centre. I can't remember the name of the pmace but it was inland and seemed to be fairly remote. That was the discussion I suggested you read a few days ago.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There was a short discussion on one of the Crystal forum threads about the Australian government checking out a resort hotel in Queensland for use as a quarantine centre. I can't remember the name of the pmace but it was inland and seemed to be fairly remote. That was the discussion I suggested you read a few days ago.

That’s interesting. I did check through that thread and it’s hard to pick speculation from reality. Which here in reality I guess doesn’t exist yet!

Edited by Pushka

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

That’s interesting. I did check through that thread and it’s hard to pick speculation from reality. Which here in reality I guess doesn’t exist yet!

Yes, too much speculation about all of this.

BTW I looked that place up on the map at the time and it would probably make a very good quarantine centre. 

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

A senior Australian Health official has just arrived in Japan to determine the next phase for Australians. My best guess is that the Australian Government will repatriate them after testing negative. I’m just not sure if they will then go into isolation in Australia - I’m not sure if we have any further facilities available, although the first batch will be leaving Christmas Island I think soon. Obviously none of us know the background discussions. 

I don’t think Japan will simply allow the passengers to walk down the gangway and leave. 

The former mining camp at Howard near Darwin is enormous. Currently, it only houses people who were on the second evacuation flight from Wuhan.

• Like 1

Interesting article.  In defense of Japan, this just fell into their lap without warning.  Where should they have moved all 3,700 people to on day 1?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wholly-inappropriate-quarantine-practices-may-have-helped-spread-coronavirus-on-the-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-experts-say/ar-BB102mkO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Te Aroha said:

The US has not said passengers will be tested before they can board the flight. They have said the passengers will be assessed. It has been said that a limited number of tests can be done every day and that it takes three days to get a result. The US plans to have the flight depart tomorrow so there isn't time to test everyone who wants to go.

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's the Kooralbyn Resort ... https://www.beaudeserttimes.com.au/story/6620817/state-mp-confirms-quarantine-arrangements-for-kooralbyn-resort/

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Queensland government has organised to use Kooralbyn Resort south of Brisbane as a quarantine centre, if required.

16 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don’t know that anybody said the quarantine would prevent/reduce the spread of virus within the ship.

The CDC is pretty clear on what the pirpose of isolation and quarantine is (at least for the United States):

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/index.html

Fundamentally, to protect the general public from coming into contact with a virus or infectious disease.

Exactly!  But right now we have no way of mapping out where and when the infected have been infected, been diagnosed and/or lived or moved in relation to each other.  If a spouse infects a spouse or balcony mate (because they were inadvertently careless), I wouldn't call that a "failure" of the quarantine -- even with regard to keeping ALL passengers as safe from the virus and each other as possible.

Even if the data is never released, when passengers are released and start doing interviews, more can be gleaned. But right now there's no way for the general public to know what's going on.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1