Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

18 minutes ago, dragonlord24601 said:

Head office is considering it as all of Diamond Princess's itineraries were strictly limited to Japan only with either South Korea or Russia as the international stop. With this in mind there is the possibility of saving losses and keeping those sailings provided they can supply a ship that has not been exposed to the virus. They are still working on it but yes it is part of the contingency plans to minimise financial loss and disruptions. Why have two ships out of service when you can simply swap them around and rely on one in the safety of an area largely untouched by the virus.

Would make sense especially since the crew of Diamond Princess has two months of paid leave promised to them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Still better than 14 days quarantine away from home in California or Texas.

Guess who will pay to get to their homes after the USA 14 day quarantine period is over. That certainly would not be Princess.

You are missing the point.  They are going to be quarantined in the US or elsewhere for at least another 14 days whenever they come

They will not be allowed back in the US for "some time" if they are not on the charter flights

"Should you choose not to return on this charter flight, you will be unable to return to the United
States for a period of time. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will make a final
determination on this matter."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M009 on Diamond Princess, due to depart March 15th has just been cancelled, in fact all Diamond cruises through to April 20 are.   Received my email at 4.35pm Brisbane time.  Well done Princess for giving us early notice.   Time to start looking for my replacement cruise 🙂 

Edited by V_icki_e
futher info.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, V_icki_e said:

M009 on Diamond Princess, due to depart March 15th has just been cancelled.  Received my email at 4.35pm Brisbane time.  Well done Princess for giving us early notice.   Time to start looking for my replacement cruise 🙂 

Just received notice that our April 2nd has been canceled too.  I'm guessing Japan has put a stop to cruising for the season. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

Just received notice that our April 2nd has been canceled too.  I'm guessing Japan has put a stop to cruising for the season. 

No, this is what they stated:

Based on the prolonged quarantine period, and the anticipated time to prepare the ship to return to service, we unfortunately must cancel additional Diamond Princess voyages through the April 20 voyage. We are preparing Diamond Princess to return to service April 29, 2020 for the start of Japan's annual Golden Week celebrations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't agree that the 11 days locked up on the ship have been for nothing. 286 people have been found to have the virus - that is 286 people who otherwise would have gone to their home country (for some that is Japan).

Agreed. But they could have gone to their home country on a chartered plane to be in quarantine. Just like the other Who knows how many) people are being offered now.

12 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Agreed. But they could have gone to their home country on a chartered plane to be in quarantine. Just like the other Who knows how many) people are being offered now.

And to clarify, I’m not saying passengers should have been released to go about regular business. I’m saying governments should have stepped in on day 1 and got their people out and into a real quarantine. THAT is why the past 11 days have been for nothing!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, this is what they stated:

Based on the prolonged quarantine period, and the anticipated time to prepare the ship to return to service, we unfortunately must cancel additional Diamond Princess voyages through the April 20 voyage. We are preparing Diamond Princess to return to service April 29, 2020 for the start of Japan's annual Golden Week celebrations.

We're on HAL's Westerdam smack-bang in that period (25th April out of Yokohama), but no HAL email cancelling for us.  My partner's old man was supposed to be on Diamond Princess on that 20th of April cruise and just rang us to say it's been cancelled. We're trying to convince him and my partner's mum to jump onboard Westie!

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

And to clarify, I’m not saying passengers should have been released to go about regular business. I’m saying governments should have stepped in on day 1 and got their people out and into a real quarantine. THAT is why the past 11 days have been for nothing!

I still think that is a logistical nightmare for any body. You cannot just get planes and doctors all ready on day one. It takes time.

I work on the infection committee on my hospital. It requires a lot of work from your entire team, ranging from the environmental services to the nurses to the pharmacist. It requires a whole team effort. 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, sppunk said:

Canada is sending a rescue plane for our Canadian friends and flying them to Trenton, Ontario. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6555801/canada-diamond-princess-cruise/

Our friends’ sister contacted the Ontario government this morning to try to facilitate this so I like to think she played a little hand in expediting this for our friends. 

Edit: Sorry I see this was posted a bit earlier. 

Thanks , saw this on Global tv news. Did Britain announce anything for their citizens?

26 minutes ago, Farts said:

Another 137 new cases. Totaling to at least 355 infected total

Wow. 

It is getting difficult to support the claim that all were infected before quarantine.  The maths on these figures  doesn't help support that claim. Assuming it follows most viruses pattern and time to become infected and show infections are t-distribution curves.

Experts are quoting figures of 2 to 5 days before showing symptoms others are saying infection can spread between 3 (2 on 1 paper )-14 days (may be longer but shouldn't matter to the maths if quarantine worked for those on the ship) . Taking both of that into account. Cases could still be showing up without symptoms but in a much lesser count, it should be nearing the outer edges of the curve.

There are only 2 ways this can still be happening

1. The genetic make- up of those on board is different to those in earlier published studies,  so they hoard the disease rather than develop symptoms

2. The infection has continued to spread on the ship after quarantine.

Have have seen (not hear-say people posting their on photos of things they are doing on the ship) of why reasons 2 is in play. However. there is now one paper (not yet peer reviewed) that also hints at reason 1. But it has focused on the effect/chances of having the virus becoming severe  it does not address/ investigate  non severe cases and wither they remain non symptomatic.

Edited by fragilek
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 10:19 AM, gvre said:

We are booked on Diamond B2B April 2nd thru the 20th .

Just wanted to make sure you saw this:

February 15, 2020 at 10:40PM PT

Updated Cancellation Policy

Guests booked on an Asia cancelled cruise, and have cancelled their booking on or after January 20, 2020, will receive details on a compensation package in the coming weeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Guests booked on an Asia cancelled cruise, and have cancelled their booking on or after January 20, 2020, will receive details on a compensation package in the coming weeks.

Good on for those people who cancelled on their own … then Princess ended up cancelling the cruise(s) the day before sail

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, fragilek said:

It is getting difficult to support the claim that all were infected before quarantine.  The maths on these figures  doesn't help support that claim. Assuming it follows most viruses pattern and time to become infected and show infections are t-distribution curves.

Experts are quoting figures of 2 to 5 days before showing symptoms others are saying infection can spread between 3 (2 on 1 paper )-14 days (may be longer but shouldn't matter to the maths if quarantine worked for those on the ship) . Taking both of that into account. Cases could still be showing up without symptoms but in a much lesser count, it should be nearing the outer edges of the curve.

There are only 2 ways this can still be happening

1. The genetic make- up of those on board is different to those in earlier published studies,  so they hoard the disease rather than develop symptoms

2. The infection has continued to spread on the ship after quarantine.

Have have seen (not hear-say people posting their on photos of things they are doing on the ship) of why reasons 2 is in play. However. there is now one paper (not yet peer reviewed) that also hints at reason 1. But it has focused on the effect/chances of having the virus becoming severe  it does not address/ investigate  non severe cases and wither they remain non symptomatic.

Wouldn't it be possible that (most of) the recently detected infections are for:

- passengers sharing a cabin with passengers that were infected earlier (as clearly it would easily spread between roommates)

- crew (who so far are not isolated as far as I understand)

- passengers that would have tested positive if they had been tested several days earlier?

Unfortunately, without more data about the cases (crew/passengers, testing history, contact with infected passengers) it is impossible to say if the above could explain recent cases.

• Like 2

Diamond has become the "poster ship" for the virus.  Based on all of the countries and information coming out, it would seem as if cruise ships are becoming non-grate around Asia.  This will be a logistical nightmare for so many families.  The fallout of this situation may never be fully appreciated and I hope health concerns out weigh the monetary concerns for everyone.  Financial recovery is easier than regaining ones health. 

• Like 2

The American doctor on the ship who reached out to his friend, the US Congressman, and helped spur the evacuation of Americans will not be on the flight. His wife tested positive. They were just notified. Here’s the latest:

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/breaking-elizabethton-couple-not-among-americans-leaving-cruise-ship-after-wife-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Edited by ohhbother
  • Thanks 1

"20:33 Princess is covering our flight back home after our quarantine ends. More info on care packages as available, per information given."

-- From the lovely Reddit poster Handfullofkeys who has been blogging about his honeymoon experience on Diamond Princess. Not sure if links to Reddit are allowed.  This is from Part 2 of his AMA. He and his wife are going on the evacuation flight today. 

Edited by arabrab

56 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am glad they proved far more generous, especially in the cases where passengers canceled before the cruise line did, than some here predicted.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Coral said:

Coral appreciated the notice.

I started this thread asking for advice on what to do for our Diamond Princess cruise as there had been a passengers on the cruise from Hong Kong who tested positive for coronavirus

We decided to cancelled our B2B on February 5th, for the April 2nd cruise for 18 days. By that time there was 20 cases on the Diamond Princess. At that point the cancellation fee was 20% of the cruise. If we waited till the 6th it would be 50% of the cruise fare.

We talked to Princess about waving the 20% or extend the cancellation date.  They would not. We had invested hours into planning the cruise and got charged to cancel our business class flights.

We did book the same 18 day back to back on the Diamond for next year 20121 same date April 2nd thru the 20th.

We have done 28 cruises on Princess it would be nice to at least get back our 20% of the total cruise fare.

• Like 4

I understand that we want to get people OUT of the ship and away from infection, but realize that we are also now talking about brining infected people IN to their home country.   The politics of this are going to be very interesting, after all the US has stopped flights from China on the basis that some very small proportion of Chinese people have the virus, but now we have a group of people who have a much  higher likelihood of infection and we are bringing them into the US healthcare system.   (The virus spreads like a beast in hospitals, hundreds of Chinese nurses are infected.)    If nothing else, bringing in infected people will mean that the US numbers will rise, which would not count as a 'win' in this political season.

I'm not talking about the morality of it or the actuality, but the politics.   I would not expect life to get back to normal any time soon for the passengers.    Ultimately it doesn't matter much, the virus is already showing signs of spreading quite nicely with or without cruise ships.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ohhbother said:

The American doctor on the ship who reached out to his friend, the US Congressman, and helped spur the evacuation of Americans will not be on the flight. His wife tested positive. They were just notified. Here’s the latest:

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/breaking-elizabethton-couple-not-among-americans-leaving-cruise-ship-after-wife-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

I hope she recovers quickly. Glad for his efforts as they will benefit many.

21 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

I am glad they proved far more generous, especially in the cases where passengers canceled before the cruise line did, than some here predicted.

Before I declare it generous.  I want to hear the details.  If those who canceled early get the same compensation as those who waited I will praise them.  If cruisers are offered a partial FCC not so much.

• Like 2