Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

A passenger onboard one of the planes  reported that there are 4 bathrooms onboard whichever plane he is on. 2 of them are already full, and 1 is broken! If he’s on the flight to TX, they just took off after a 5 hour delay, and it’s showing a 12 hour flight path. If he’s on the flight to CA, they haven’t even departed yet. I sure hope they fix(ed) the bathrooms before taking off! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

A passenger onboard one of the planes  reported that there are 4 bathrooms onboard whichever plane he is on. 2 of them are already full, and 1 is broken! If he’s on the flight to TX, they just took off after a 5 hour delay, and it’s showing a 12 hour flight path. If he’s on the flight to CA, they haven’t even departed yet. I sure hope they fix(ed) the bathrooms before taking off! 

where are you getting that from?

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And 40 people tested positive and were not allowed to fly to US. That flight is a Petri dish now. Along with the bus trip to the airport. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51524460

does anyone know if this is an additional 40 over and above the numbers already released earlier on 16th? I can't confirm that so far

2 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Matt Smith is going to wake up feeling like he made the smart decision.

What if (praying it does not happen) he comes down with it? I’d rather be in my home country if I am ill. It’s a tough decision either way. I feel for everyone involved. 

• Like 4

Just now, HBCcruiser said:

What if (praying it does not happen) he comes down with it? I’d rather be in my home country if I am ill. It’s a tough decision either way. I feel for everyone involved. 

He is there and if you read his tweets, he wholeheartedly believes the quarantine worked to keep the passengers safe.  If I am interpreting his tweets correctly, he believes if there has been spread on the Diamond after quarantine it's because passengers have acted badly and have not faithfully followed health and safety protocols. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Or what happens if only one of them (he or his wife test positive)? Could put a real wrench in his plans.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And 40 people tested positive and were not allowed to fly to US. That flight is a Petri dish now. Along with the bus trip to the airport. 

Wow! I agree, especially since some allowed onto the plane had spouses in the hospital with the virus!! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I just read that article.  I believe the 40 Americans are not 40 NEW Americans. It is 40 TOTAL Americans.  Those people have been dribbling in to Japanese hospitals from the beginning of the quarantine.

I did not read that anyone who signed up for the evacuation flight was turned away, which is what your post implied (or how I interpreted it).

I still think Matt Smith will wake up feeling good.  He feels confident with his decision.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, fragilek said:

does anyone know if this is an additional 40 over and above the numbers already released earlier on 16th? I can't confirm that so far

This is the total of the americans that have so far tested positive and as such not able to fly back on the charter but instead must stay in Japan for treatment.

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

This is the total of the americans that have so far tested positive and as such not able to fly back on the charter but instead must stay in Japan for treatment.

Was there a figure before on how many US people tested positive? 

Just now, Pushka said:

Was there a figure before on how many US people tested positive? 

I have seen 2 numbers 40 and 44.   There was atleast one American that tested positive, had mild symptoms that resolved, tested negative and was waiting for an additional test to be released from the hospital. So some cases may have resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

I have seen 2 numbers 40 and 44.   There was atleast one American that tested positive, had mild symptoms that resolved, tested negative and was waiting for an additional test to be released from the hospital. So some cases may have resolved.

There haven’t been any figures released on those people who have recovered have there? That would be very (hopefully) reassuring information to have. And as we haven’t heard of any deaths then hopefully that means that everyone will have eventually recovered. It will also be interesting to know of those who were testing positive, had no symptoms at all. 

Edited by Pushka

Just now, Pushka said:

There haven’t been any figures released on those people who have recovered have there? That would be very reassuring information to have. And as we haven’t heard of any deaths then hopefully that means that everyone will have recovered. It will also be interesting to know of those who were testing positive, had no symptoms at all. 

Only the total recovered for Japan at 17. Not sure how many of those are Diamond passengers vs others in Japan.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

I believe those like Matt Smith staying on the ship also will have the quarantine extended.  What do you think?

I have no idea what WHO/Japanese Health Ministry is going to do, but I would think that they will extend the quarantine if they have enough evidence to suspect that more people have been newly infected since start of the original 14 day quarantine.  This is based on my understanding of how quarantines work.

• Like 1

Question I have for those who chose to stay behind. How do they plan on getting home? I am not sure that airlines will want to accept them, since little is known about this disease... We know you can be negative one minute and possitive another. Also are flights running between Japan and the states at this point. We know the Chinese flights have been put off...but as this spreads.. more countries could be added to the list.

I understand not wanting to go on a plane with possible sick... but that can happen later as well. In the meantime they will have the expense to deal with..in terms of hotel... again, if someone will accept them... It seems that is unclear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kearney said:

Question I have for those who chose to stay behind. How do they plan on getting home? I am not sure that airlines will want to accept them, since little is known about this disease... We know you can be negative one minute and possitive another. Also are flights running between Japan and the states at this point. We know the Chinese flights have been put off...but as this spreads.. more countries could be added to the list.

I understand not wanting to go on a plane with possible sick... but that can happen later as well. In the meantime they will have the expense to deal with..in terms of hotel... again, if someone will accept them... It seems that is unclear.

Not clear what will happen to those staying.

There was recent video taken by one of the American couples leaving the ship shown on the  Canadian Global TV Network.....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pushka said:

There haven’t been any figures released on those people who have recovered have there? That would be very (hopefully) reassuring information to have. And as we haven’t heard of any deaths then hopefully that means that everyone will have eventually recovered. It will also be interesting to know of those who were testing positive, had no symptoms at all. 

Some of the news articles last night had the numbers: 1219 total tested w/ 355 positive (29%); of the positive tests 73 were asymptomatic (20% of positives-asymptomatic.)

edited to add link to article where I saw the numbers https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/16/coronavirus-70-more-cases-on-japan-cruise-ship-as-china-infections-pass-68000

Edited by sndral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, junglejane said:

Flight to Texas (CKS581) just took off.  Flight to California looks to be a few minutes behind.   Trackable on Flightradar24.  

Thank you. Hoping local Bay Area news will offer updates about Travis arrival.  Best wishes for all onboard. 

Other countries evacuating their citizens as well. Best wishes for them. Those of you who get updates, please report on their progress.  

• Like 2