Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

1 hour ago, em-sk said:

I though the process they were following was anyone who is sick is removed from the ship and sent to hospital.  If they were only doing that for passenger then that is a major issue and likely a contributor to the spread of this.

A number of those removed from the ship during the quarantine period were crew members.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coochuck said:

I believe it was Princess that made the decision not to put their staff in quarantine, and use them to serve, and prepare meals.

And who would you propose deliver the meals to the cabins, take away the trash that has been placed outside the cabins, run the ship from the Bridge, maintain the engines, electrical systems, etc?

If not some of the crew, would you bring outsiders onto the ship and let them go home when their work was done? Or if once on the ship, required to stay there in quarantine for 14 days with new people coming on each day to do the same?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

And who would you propose deliver the meals to the cabins, take away the trash that has been placed outside the cabins, run the ship from the Bridge, maintain the engines, electrical systems, etc?

If not some of the crew, would you bring outsiders onto the ship and let them go home when their work was done? Or if once on the ship, required to stay there in quarantine for 14 days with new people coming on each day to do the same?

Obviously the crew needed to do many functions.  But in terms of labor required by crew, potential for disease spread and relative ease of shifting the burden land based....a huge improvement could have been made by rather than having ingredients delivered to the ship and meals prepared on board have meals prepared on land, sealed in plastic and delivered to the ship to be delivered by the crew to individual rooms.  This would have reduced burden on the crew and reduced the chances of crew to passenger transmission.  Maybe even reduced passenger to crew transmission.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, gvre said:

We are booked on Diamond B2B April 2nd thru the 20th .

We have decided to cancel both cruises. It is just not worth the risk for us.

Princess charged us 20% of the cruise fare and our flight cancellation was $400

Check your credit card agreement for trip insurance.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:19 PM, gvre said:

We are booked on Diamond B2B April 2nd thru the 20th .

We have decided to cancel both cruises. It is just not worth the risk for us.

Princess charged us 20% of the cruise fare and our flight cancellation was $400

Princess has canceled those cruises.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Just saw a clip of the US evacuation on BBC news there was one guy with his mask off around his chin and neck . Hope he was not one of those who then tested +ve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51524460

One worker on the plane had a proper suit on, gloves duct taped and all, a face shield and NO MASK!!!!   We are going to get hit harder than China, I think.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chilis said:

Thanks for the heads up on the deals... I'm looking for sure.  I want to support Princess, but I don't want to make an unnecessary donation.  😉

Risk vs. benefit is definitely something each person has to weigh for themselves.  I'm 40, so is my husband.  We're relatively healthy and I think the odds are in our favor even if we contracted something.  If it was ebola I would be a bit more cautious.  I'm no doctor, but I am an occupational therapist who is well versed in all precautions, be they contact, airborne, or droplet.  Have gone through mask fit testing and PAPR training for use with patients who I would be at risk by treating, but who need therapy.  Maybe my risk tolerance is different than yours, but I almost feel like I'm exposed to so much every day at work that I'm not afraid of it while traveling.  

I know norovirus does not equal Covid19.  I used it as an example because it's one that kicks up all sorts of concerns on a cruise ship, when frankly if one person spreads it to 300 people on a cruise ship, I think it's likely that one person spreads it to 300 people every day not on a cruise ship, it's just not as easily triangulated.

I also don't know that we'll ever know where all these infections came from.  Now that so many people are testing positive but asymptomatic, it's impossible to know if many other people who had it were on the previous cruise, or if people in ports had it, or wherever it might have come from.  Patient zero who tested positive after leaving the cruise could have been one of many who had it.  30 people who boarded the ship on the first day of the cruise could have had it.  We'll never know.  But I do know that there is a case in my state, so I could ostensibly get it going to the grocery store.  

Awesome. We can speak the same language.

Yea, I would be traveling with others who I wouldn't want to get sick. 

To each their own. Live and let live. Happy deal hunting. I'm sure you can land something pretty awesome. 

A bit late but better late than never.... Lots of people have suggested this, it took 13 days.

"For our guests and crew onboard, Princess Cruises has engaged and partnered with World Central Kitchen (WCK), a non-profit organization founded by chef José Andrés, which uses the power of food to heal and strengthen communities in times of crisis and beyond. Starting with lunch today, we will be integrating WCK meals into our food service options. Meals will continue to include breakfast, lunch and dinner, which will be delivered to staterooms accommodating all dietary requirements."

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-update.html

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

That still is not many beds.

Though it was built for Ebola level patients. This is sort of overkill for Covid-19. Most people in the US have been patients at their local hospitals.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

Though it was built for Ebola level patients. This is sort of overkill for cornovirus. Most people in the US have been patients at their local hospitals.

Except local hospitals will not be able to cope if their is an epidemic. They are not built for large scale quarantine and isolation.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

Except local hospitals will not be able to cope if their is an epidemic. They are not built for large scale quarantine.

Well - they are willing to expand their space. This was built with federal funding (not sure what percentage).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

A bit late but better late than never.... Lots of people have suggested this, it took 13 days.

"For our guests and crew onboard, Princess Cruises has engaged and partnered with World Central Kitchen (WCK), a non-profit organization founded by chef José Andrés, which uses the power of food to heal and strengthen communities in times of crisis and beyond. Starting with lunch today, we will be integrating WCK meals into our food service options. Meals will continue to include breakfast, lunch and dinner, which will be delivered to staterooms accommodating all dietary requirements."

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-update.html

While this is great to hear, it makes me question what that means for those still on the ship. They are still being told by Japanese Health officials that their quarantine ends on the 19th. I find it hard to believe that they would go to this much effort with new meal prep if they honestly thought everyone would be getting off the ship in another day....

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, alirat153 said:

Does anyone know how many are left on board? I imagine a lot of Japanese pax would have taken up the offer of quarantine on land, but we have no news in that regard.

According to the Princess website, so far, only medically vulnerable people who test negative have been offered voluntary disembarkation for landside quarantine. Of that group, only 12 left the ship;  55 (fifty-five) stayed onboard.  Individuals who have tested positive have left the ship; and most USA people took the charter flights for quarantine in CA&TX.

There are still a LOT of  people on the ship.

Edited by SeaQue
typo

1 hour ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

They might pay employees to hang around the ship for a short dry dock but they're not going to pay them to go home for two months. If a ship is going to be out of service for an extended period they would just transfer them to other ships.

I have never seen a post about what a skeleton crew would be for a cruise ship.  I know a ship is a "living" thing and as far as I know is never completely shut down.  I imagine at a minimum there would be an engineering crew and I guess the hotel could go dormant.  Anyone have any information on this?  

Edited by zonacruiser25
spelling

59 minutes ago, alirat153 said:

Does anyone know how many are left on board? I imagine a lot of Japanese pax would have taken up the offer of quarantine on land, but we have no news in that regard.

@alirat153 I am wondering the same thing. 

The US pax who took up the offer to leave are now (closer to) home and back on US soil, and I saw a video from one of the pax who is in a large multi-room accommodation, but who sadly left his spouse behind due to their being infected and hospitalized.

It took Princess 2 days to publish updates on their web site (not FB page - don't follow that) and there isn't much detail there, other than to say Canada and Australia are finalizing their own repatriation plans.  Nothing about how many are still onboard or next steps, the latter, because I suspect they just don't know.

I don't think anyone else has gotten off other than those who tested positive and were taken to hospital.  And David Abel, who I feel like I "know" after following hours of his videos, is still imploring the UK gov't to step up.  The UK pax may now have gotten a "survey" but who knows what that means?  

Princess doesn't have all the facts - those cards seem to be held by JMH alone.  Something like "those testing negative can begin disembarking on the 21st" or so, but to where, or how, or when they get home is a mystery.

6 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I would imagine Japanese will leave the ship as soon as allowed. At this point, seeing how the virus is spreading, I would leave. 

I would imagine so as well. 

im fairly certain I’d have left too. But I don’t think those that chose not to were necessarily wrong. They had some very valid arguments for staying. My biggest reason for wanting to take my home country up on the offer for evacuation would have been that at least once I am back in the US I am only subject to the US govt changing their minds regarding quarantine length and I’m guaranteed a place where I speak the language fluently. Those that stayed on the ship are now risk of Japanese govt changing the terms of quarantine as well as their own government and the government of any place they need to pass through to get home.

(This concern won’t apply to people that live in Japan though).

I am curious how many US citizens stayed back. I have seen reports with a count of total US citizens that were on the ship, counts of US citizens in the hospital in Japan and counts of passengers on the 2 planes. But since the passengers are not all US citizens (immediate family of a citizen were allowed to evacuate from what I read), I still don’t know how many stayed back.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

I would imagine so as well. 

im fairly certain I’d have left too. But I don’t think those that chose not to were necessarily wrong. They had some very valid arguments for staying. My biggest reason for wanting to take my home country up on the offer for evacuation would have been that at least once I am back in the US I am only subject to the US govt changing their minds regarding quarantine length and I’m guaranteed a place where I speak the language fluently. Those that stayed on the ship are now risk of Japanese govt changing the terms of quarantine as well as their own government and the government of any place they need to pass through to get home.

(This concern won’t apply to people that live in Japan though).

I am curious how many US citizens stayed back. I have seen reports with a count of total US citizens that were on the ship, counts of US citizens in the hospital in Japan and counts of passengers on the 2 planes. But since the passengers are not all US citizens (immediate family of a citizen were allowed to evacuate from what I read), I still don’t know how many stayed back.

This article says 61 Americans stayed back. 

More than 2,000 passengers remain on the ship. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/they-escaped-an-infected-ship-but-the-flight-home-was-no-haven/ar-BB105sLy?ocid=sf2&fbclid=IwAR0HWPSIq7bl9bT_uxL67ofIG9KD244Ay1Z2MiCUktvpOUWq8yvL4GOHf1o

• Like 1

Just read that one of the 14 who tested positive from the evacuees was Carl from the KHTS Radio station. So sad. He is in Nebraska and his wide is in isolation. Their FB page for anyone that has FB:

https://www.facebook.com/jeri.serattigoldman

Correction: I'm not sure if he has tested positive for the virus. Conflicting reports. He had a fever and was put into isolation on the flight and they were taken to Nebraska rather than Travis Airforce Base

Edited by ceilidh1
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CBC News and other sources report that a total of 32 Canadians on the Diamond Princess have been infected with coronavirus. So that leaves a maximum of 223 Canadians healthy enough to leave.

Earlier today, the government said that 160 Canadians so far had indicated they want to evacuate on a flight to Canada.

Of course, some people may wish to stay in Japan to be close to family that have tested positive so far. That applies to any non-Japanese passengers.