Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

17 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

Oh no.  I just looked it up.  So terribly sad.  Each case is tragic but he is the only passenger I've (figuratively) spent hours with... he & Sally almost feel like family.  Saying prayers for both of them.

I would appreciate a link. I can only find YouTube Vlog #60 and they are saying people are spreading misinformation and they are OK at this time.  Thanks 

7 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

This is terrifying. I'm so worried for David and Sally, I can't even begin to imagine the conditions they are about to endure. 

david2.png

I just saw this too? Why would they not go to a hospital if testing positive? Did something get lost in translation or is something weird going on?

I don't think the government of Japan (or UK) is trying to silence Dave & Sally.  It's possible that if they are totally asymptomatic that it's safer to keep them in a proper land-based quarantine but not actually take them to a hospital.

My theory is that a TON of people on DP are testing positive now that they are trying to test everyone and they are prioritizing actual hospital beds for the more vulnerable/those showing symptoms/etc.

If anybody who's reading this knows how to reach David, they should try to get him a Japanese translation of something like "I have medical complications from diabetes and need to be under a doctor's supervision."

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Te Aroha said:

I think Japan cannot handle this many positives and are using the hospital spaces for those who are unwell.

I was read earlier today that there are studies that suggest in certain populations that a very high percentage can be positive for the virus but never express overt symptoms. Unfortunately I cannot find the article at the moment to link to it.

8 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

I think Japan cannot handle this many positives and are using the hospital spaces for those who are unwell.

That's the big problem - in Japan and across the world.  Hospitals simply cannot cope with large numbers of cases.  Most people will be just fine, but a percentage (maybe 10% - who knows?) will need hospitalisation, and that may involve Intensive Care beds, with all that that involves.

Most places do not have that number of beds.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

david.png

Here's a video of him venting. 

Well, i guess the British govt lack of re-pat efforts won't really affect him after all. 

I wish him the best of luck and hope he doesn't end up on the vent. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's the big problem - in Japan and across the world.  Hospitals simply cannot cope with large numbers of cases.  Most people will be just fine, but a percentage (maybe 10% - who knows?) will need hospitalisation, and that may involve Intensive Care beds, with all that that involves.

Most places do not have that number of beds.

Don't forget vents. 

You preferably need specialized doctors (intensivists aka ICU docs) to work the vents. Not to mention the resp therapists and etc. to all manage that

The information I read but can't find the link was that 18 of the DP passengers are classed as serious in hospital there are currently no critical let's all hope it stays that way. Thoughts are with all those affected wishing you all a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pushka said:

David’s last report said they were being taken to a hostel and not a hospital. I would be asking for a copy of the test results. 

I have no doubt they have tested positive but Japan has run out of hospital beds and only those who are ill are being hospitalized.

This could also explain why the vents to their room were taped over earlier today as David reported in his video.

I am hoping his family can now create a lot of noise to get them better treatment, I have a real worry for David and his required diet.

Edited by Te Aroha
spelling
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

I have no doubt they have tested positive but Japan has run out of hospital beds and only those who are ill are being hospitalized.

This could also explain why the vents to their room were taped over earlier today as David reported in his video.

I am hoping his family can now create a lot of noise to get them better treatment, I have a real worry for David and his required diet.

A hostel does not seem to be the right place for him, if he definitely has tested positive. The stress for them both and their loved ones is enormous. And now UK can’t take them home. It’s just an awful situation. 

In David's very first video, when the quarantine just started, he mentioned that medical technicians were going through the ship room by room and they were taking everybody's temperature by inserting a thermometer in their ears.  But they were not sterilizing the instrument between going from person to person.  Could this be a reason why the virus spread throughout the ship?  

1 minute ago, Lou33 said:

In David's very first video, when the quarantine just started, he mentioned that medical technicians were going through the ship room by room and they were taking everybody's temperature by inserting a thermometer in their ears.  But they were not sterilizing the instrument between going from person to person.  Could this be a reason why the virus spread throughout the ship?  

I thought they were given their own thermometers. Maybe that was later. 

13 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

I would assume that the doctors would have enough common sense to use disposable tips. But common sense isn't common. plus idk what they do in other countries.