Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They were saying on the BBC this morning that the death rate will likely drop to about 0.014% which is inline with flu.

Did they say why they think so?  I have seen no evidence for that in the official  data from China, and (aside from contact tracing) you don't even know that you have this disease until you basically have pneumonia.    False optimism just makes panics worse.

8 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Did they say why they think so?  I have seen no evidence for that in the official  data from China, and (aside from contact tracing) you don't even know that you have this disease until you basically have pneumonia.    False optimism just makes panics worse.

it was either BBC or Sky news that said. And the reason why went over my head

On 2/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, ceilidh1 said:

I have to go back to my original thoughts on day one ( just MY thoughts and not based on any medical knowledge). Passengers should have been evacuated and quarantined on land in  their home countries from the start. If they are suddenly able to charter flights to do this now, there is no reason they couldn't have done it 10 days ago (in my opinion). To have made these people stay "confined" on the ship for 11 days only to find out they will face an additional 14 days quarantined once off is just heartbreaking.

Please don't flame me for saying this - once again, it's my OPINION. You are welcome to disagree (respectfully) and voice your own opinion.

I agree for the most part, but not in terms of "quarantine".  They all should have been removed and put in isolation.  Keeping the passengers on the ship and under quarantine essentially made Diamond a floating incubator.

I'm more shocked that the entire complement of the ship hasn't been diagnosed with the disease by this point.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 3

These poor people need a solid plan to get healthy and home! This is not a failure on the part of Princess, but on the Japanese version of our(US) CDC setting the procedures to be followed. Japanese authorities taking 2 weeks to test is simply at best was a gross misstep that now has a floating city of medical prisoners living in fear and chronic stress. Granted, this has been a fast moving situation that I have no doubt has authorities stretched beyond thin and overwhelming the medical community attempting to provide a way to stop the spread of this virus. I hope and pray that the UK makes some swift decisions and forces the issue to get these poor people to safety as well as the countries of all the remaining foreign nationals aboard the Diamond. This is no longer a regional issue but a global issue. 

Edited by Magellan321
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

A bit late but better late than never.... Lots of people have suggested this, it took 13 days.

"For our guests and crew onboard, Princess Cruises has engaged and partnered with World Central Kitchen (WCK), a non-profit organization founded by chef José Andrés, which uses the power of food to heal and strengthen communities in times of crisis and beyond. Starting with lunch today, we will be integrating WCK meals into our food service options. Meals will continue to include breakfast, lunch and dinner, which will be delivered to staterooms accommodating all dietary requirements."

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-update.html

This is fascinating since it provides a possibility of a long term post crisis relationship that could be a win win.  A strong brand relationship with a responsible travel twist.  

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 8:22 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

For anyone who thinks that the quarantine was effective, consider that the average incubation period is 5 days.  That means that the spike in new cases would be long over, with only a trickle of new cases by this point.  There should be a bell curve peak between 3 - 7 days, not spiking on day 10.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, bluesea321 said:

Right on. And here is another source about the new cases. This ship is a "petri dish" of infection, little or no chance that this is ALL from before the "quarantine".

Japan confirms 70 new cases of COVID-19 from Diamond Princess cruise ship

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/16/national/science-health/japan-70-new-cases-covid19-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/#.Xkit5BNKjPA

I think by now, most rational people realize that the quarantine was pretty much a dramatic failure in preventing the disease from spreading on the ship.  Yeah, it prevented the disease from spreading on land, but it put nearly 4,000 people at risk for a potentially deadly disease.  After a couple of days, plans should have been in place to remove passengers and place them in isolation.  Instead a couple of weeks go by and we all see more and more getting sick.

Needs of the many vs. needs of the few I suppose...  Regardless, I really feel that Japan screwed up by taking the "wait and see" method, while passengers' own countries couldn't interfere in this process.  I'm just glad that people are finally being removed, but is it "too little, too late"?  We shall see.

Overall, I really do have to commend the Princess crew and company in how they handled it.  They were stuck between a rock and hard place and did the best they could.  I've yet to sail on a Princess ship (not until 2021), but the way they handled things makes me lean a lot more to sailing with them for future cruises.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

This is fascinating since it provides a possibility of a long term post crisis relationship that could be a win win.  A strong brand relationship with a responsible travel twist.  

Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying.

Horse bolted door stable shutting

Now everyone is trying to get off they come up with THIS plan!!

Can anyone update me? I was reading the news and they all mention the number of people related to the ship who have the virus. What I didn't find any data for is - has there been any death from the ship? If not, I think the Japanese hospitals must be giving very good care to those infected.

1 hour ago, tamsno said:

Kathy49 - Where did you get the information that David and Sally Abel tested positive. 

1 hour ago, AlyssaJames said:

Apologies for the tabloid source. (Son wants the UK to do a special trip to pick up just his parents, apparently.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8015215/British-tourists-David-Sally-Abel-test-positive-coronavirus.html

1 hour ago, Caymus88 said:

David announced it on Facebook. And his Son Steve announced it on BBC this am

I am so sad to hear this.

I really think he developed it on day 4 or 5 when they developed the cough which he kept saying was due to the air conditioning.

• Like 6

I have been following a family on board who stay in  japan.  They have probably been one of the best posters about this and I have admired their resolve and handling of the situation.  But today they seem to be down and posting stuff that would suggest that they will not just get to walk off the ship.  I am not sure if it is just because her results are not back yet or if she has found out more info about after leaving- 

@shannonvo

"I think my home is japan is complicating matters. But I have faith we will be ok eventually. Thank you so much for your support!"

The reply from someone was 
That gov might try to quarantine you 14 days again... just like in

🇺🇸
& that would SUCK! I was told because of Golden Week and the Olympics Japan is gonna be strict. Please keep tweeting until your “home” .... so ppl can send you care packages

🥃

2:43 PM · Feb 18, 2020·Twi14m

@ceilidh1 and others who have been following these two couples, here's an article from yesterday that I didn't see posted.  https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/two-utahns-separated-from-spouses-during-coronavirus-outbreak-on-cruise-ship-arrive-in-us-for-second-round-of-quarantine/?fbclid=IwAR3qBeym7cDOrSxufaOzEkZ8kvv6_428uHoQ6aKXqkFatEwWwVxDCZIiPsw

Sad that John now has pneumonia but I found this to be an interesting quote "Jerri learned she’ll likely be transported on a hospital plane to the United States to finish out her 14 days in isolation, bringing her closer to reuniting with her husband."  I had not heard that this was in the works but it would be wonderful if they are able to transport most if not all of the Americans who are hospitalized back to the USA.  And I'm hoping that those from all other countries are allowed to go home soon as well.

Has anyone heard of countries that are making plans (or already did) to take home cruise passengers/guests are also fighting to bring home any crew from their country?

I realize that crew is predominantly from Countries that we have not heard much about but yesterday I saw a brief one liner saying South Korea is making plans for their “passengers” and then the counts given show they have almost as many crew as cruisers. (Small number in total). Made me wonder if countries are equally advocating for the crew members. I’ve heard nothing about countries that seem to have only crew. Is that because the news is somewhat biased or because they’ve been forgotten?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

I guess they should ask all the "experts" who post here in this thread 😀😀

As if it would have been any worse?  Hell, a number of people on here had some good ideas, rational ideas.  NOT everyone of course, but quite a few.

As I said, Japan quarantined the ship and decided to "wait & see" how it all worked out rather than pulling the passengers and placing them all in isolation.  They could have requested assistance from the passengers' home countries.  I understand the quarantine was to prevent the disease from spreading off ship, but they could have done a lot more to help it from spreading among the passengers AND crew.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I agree for the most part, but not in terms of "quarantine".  They all should have been removed and put in isolation.  Keeping the passengers on the ship and under quarantine essentially made Diamond a floating incubator.

I'm more shocked that the entire complement of the ship hasn't been diagnosed with the disease by this point.

I think it is a given most crew have it as well as the captain who has been moving all over the ship for one month

1 hour ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but apparently it's because there have been numerous mild cases that are not included in the total number of cases. More cases without death brings the percentage down.

This link may explain part of the reason we are here now.   Here is part of that news report from the 11th of February 8 days after the start of the quarantine.  And with only 135 positive.

"Within the Japanese government, debate continues over whether to put valuable resources toward screening everyone on board the ship, diminishing its ability to deal with future outbreaks."

Seems clear they made choices about testing to save the resources they had.  They did not want to spend the money and use the test kits. They wanted  to save for Japan.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/00ff9a937d41-focus-japan-torn-over-whether-to-test-all-on-cruise-ship-for-coronavirus.html

52 minutes ago, Magellan321 said:

Japanese authorities taking 2 weeks to test is simply at best was a gross misstep that now has a floating city of medical prisoners living in fear and chronic stress. 

Just wondering - if the Japanese authorities had not agreed to take the Diamond in the first place, who would have, and where might they be just now? 

I am trying to remain objective despite personally receiving some flaming responses on this thread, which add no value other than to reinforce the supercilious need of the poster.  I choose to ignore them because they aren't worth the effort of my reply.

It has been said many times, correctly, that the primary purpose of the Japanese authorities quarantine was to prevent spread of this virus outside of the ship.  The folks onboard have all been through hell, but as disembarkation and/or repatriation from various countries approaches, they should all be on the next step of this journey - whether in hospital, further quarantine,  or straight up journey home.  Let's pray that all happens as planned, and sending a special prayer for the Abels that they are well and can come home soon.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

@ceilidh1 and others who have been following these two couples, here's an article from yesterday that I didn't see posted.  https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/two-utahns-separated-from-spouses-during-coronavirus-outbreak-on-cruise-ship-arrive-in-us-for-second-round-of-quarantine/?fbclid=IwAR3qBeym7cDOrSxufaOzEkZ8kvv6_428uHoQ6aKXqkFatEwWwVxDCZIiPsw

Sad that John now has pneumonia but I found this to be an interesting quote "Jerri learned she’ll likely be transported on a hospital plane to the United States to finish out her 14 days in isolation, bringing her closer to reuniting with her husband."  I had not heard that this was in the works but it would be wonderful if they are able to transport most if not all of the Americans who are hospitalized back to the USA.  And I'm hoping that those from all other countries are allowed to go home soon as well.

Thanks for this. Sad to hear about John! This poor couple got a lot of nasty comments on here that were totally uncalled for.

When Mark did a live post yesterday he did mention the possibility of Jerri being brought back to the US in that video so hopefully that will happen!

Edited by ceilidh1
Wrong names!
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

This link may explain part of the reason we are here now.   Here is part of that news report from the 11th of February 8 days after the start of the quarantine.  And with only 135 positive.

"Within the Japanese government, debate continues over whether to put valuable resources toward screening everyone on board the ship, diminishing its ability to deal with future outbreaks."

Seems clear they made choices about testing to save the resources they had.  They did not want to spend the money and use the test kits. They wanted  to save for Japan.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/00ff9a937d41-focus-japan-torn-over-whether-to-test-all-on-cruise-ship-for-coronavirus.html

Then they should have asked for help.  Period.  The fact that they didn't reflects poorly on them. I wonder just how many countries or health organizations would have helped if asked.  Instead, Japan allowed nearly 4,000 people to be subjected to being infected when it could have been avoided.

10 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Just wondering - if the Japanese authorities had not agreed to take the Diamond in the first place, who would have, and where might they be just now? 

Wasn't that a scheduled port for that cruise and weren't they already there?

• Like 1

Very sad news. I feel for all the passengers on the ship. Princess was just doing what the Japanese told them to do. Hard to understand why more effective measures were not recommended by the Japanese government. Not a place I. Care to visit. 

5 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Wasn't that a scheduled port for that cruise and weren't they already there?

When this started to unroll in late January Yokohama was slated to be the alternative port for HK for several Princess ships. Was that also the case for the Diamond?