New England/Canada out of New York

smgardner

Think we might do one of these trips this fall. We have not cruised for a couple years. Curious why this cruised is only in Sept and October. I understand the ship is being refurbished prior to this fall. I’m off to read some reviews, but I’d love feedback from any that have been on this cruise. 

Absolutely loved it! Halifax is the best non Caribbean stop I've ever been to. Probably wont have many kids because of the time of year. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and we were on the younger side of the guest. We had the itinerary booked again this Oct on the Mardi Gras but it got canceled. 

• Like 4

We did a similar itinerary, but not on purpose.  We got diverted from Bermuda and Caribbean due to weather, and we didnt expect to get compensated in any way.  (Just thought i'd mention that, due to other threads).

We loved it!! It was a total different feel then what Caribbean cruises have. This was in the beginning of October and it was beautiful up there. If i remember correctly it was Bar Harbor, Halifax, St.Johns out of NY. One of our best cruises ever!

• Like 5

We've done this Canada cruise twice.

Oct. 2011 and again in Sept. 2013. Carnival Glory, both times

out of Manhattan's West Side. Pier 90 I believe?

Enjoyable both times -and would do it a third time again, too!

Both times it was a civilized, almost sedate (Princess-like) cruise

totally unlike our usual S. Caribbean thing (see where I live?)

and with very few if any? kids on board!

Sail-236.jpg

Sail-296.jpg

Portland-238.jpg

Boston-357.jpg

• Like 2

I've done Canada/ New England 4 X over the years on Carnival Sunshine(2X), Splendor(1X) and RCL Serenade of the Seas(1X).

I enjoyed the last one on Sunshine in Sept. 2017 since it also went to Boston, and Portland, Maine.  The weather was nice but not HOT.  Perfect for walking and exploring the cities.

It's a pretty laid back itinerary and a nice change from the Caribbean for Sept/Oct.

New York is good for me too.  An hour drive to the port.

Definitely an itinerary I'd do again.  Maybe this year...LOL 

• Like 2

DH and I have this cruise booked for September 27th this year, and we're really looking forward to it! Hubby can't stand the heat, so couldn't talk him into another Caribbean itinerary. This itinerary - Boston, Portland, Halifax, & St. John - looks to be perfect!

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 7:40 PM, smgardner said:

Think we might do one of these trips this fall. We have not cruised for a couple years. Curious why this cruised is only in Sept and October. I understand the ship is being refurbished prior to this fall. I’m off to read some reviews, but I’d love feedback from any that have been on this cruise. 

Our first cruise was Carnival Glory in August 2012 to Saint John* and we did a Princess Cruise October 2017 to Halifax and Saint John* - both great cruises.  It's hard to time the leaf peeping just right, and the season ends late October due to cold.

*I generally don't correct spelling, but it does matter in this case.  Saint John, NB is likely the port you will get, especially if a shorter cruise.  There is also St. John's, NL and Saint John/St. John, USVI.  Depending on what you are searching the spelling matters to ensure the correct location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, Yodalicious said:

Are there ever whale sightings during the as the ship is at sea?

On several sailing on the QM2 during the 4th of July cruise we saw whales on the return trip to NYC.

On the return to NYC along the shore heading south along Cape Cod area, we saw schools of whales.

The QM2 for quite most of the day had to slow it's speed thru this area. If I remember around 7AM to about 3PM. The ship is required to slow down under these conditions.

There was quite a number of them present. Great sight for all on board to watch, photo and video. Not sure any other location if cruise NE/CAN...

Passengers from Promenade Deck watching schools of whales..

20170705_101700.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, Yodalicious said:

Are there ever whale sightings during the as the ship is at sea?

Yes, there are.

While boarding at NYC,

we were handed a leaflet explaining

that the trip from Manhattan to Boston (and maybe elsewhere?)

would be slow, due to whales in the area,

and not wanting to impale any of the poor creatures.

As we were rounding Nantucket Isl.

we saw them spouting a few miles away, between the ship and the land.

This was back in either 2011 or 2013.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, FSHLOT said:

We did a similar itinerary, but not on purpose.  We got diverted from Bermuda and Caribbean due to weather, and we didnt expect to get compensated in any way.  (Just thought i'd mention that, due to other threads).

We loved it!! It was a total different feel then what Caribbean cruises have. This was in the beginning of October and it was beautiful up there. If i remember correctly it was Bar Harbor, Halifax, St.Johns out of NY. One of our best cruises ever!

Same thing to us in October 1999.  There was a hurricane heading to Bermuda.  Lucky for us, if I can say that, as my husband got sick in Halifax and had to be hospitalized for a week.  Our travel insurance was great.  They even had someone bring our car back to Quebec from Boston.  A lesson there, never cruise without insurance.

happytotravel