Cape Town to Cape Town in December

Ctart

Travelcat2

Thank you for the suggested excursion ideas. Those were the exact ones I had marked to book. The food and beer sounds great. That is one thing we most certainly love to do if time permits is have some local fare and a local beer if time permits. Fingers are crossed that we sail. 

This is a surreal happening. I told a friend it is like the futuristic movies . Praying things turn around soon.

15 hours ago, blacksmith said:

I believe it was St Lucia.

Yes I think that some guests had difficulties because they only had a "doctor's note" rather than the official certificate.

As a previous poster, @Pies4u, commented, even if you are recommended not to have the vaccination it is important for some countries that you carry the official form of exemption.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, Pies4u said:

Actually, it is the same certificate you get if you've had the jab but just indicates that you are exempt and have not had the jab due to your age - the doctor signs and stamps the exemption page accordingly.

YF_Cert_waiver.thumb.jpg.57ba0ce6ef876ca6811942f25c7f9763.jpg

Fig 4-03 from the CDC website

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Also, a MSC ship was prevented from docking at Cayman Islands (definitely the Cayman Islands) because they had one case of the flu onboard.  I followed this since Splendor was scheduled to be there the following day (and they were able to dock.  

I am not sure that was anything connected to Yellow Fever.

Rather it was (understandable) paranoia regarding the possibility that the "flu" on board might have been Coronavirus.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:29 PM, Travelcat2 said:

jhenry1 - since you are not getting a ton of feedback, I'll share one excursion that we really enjoyed in Walvis Bay, Namibia (have done the excursion twice - it was included before but has a price tag of $49 now).  We had seals get onboard as well as amazing birds.  We had fresh oysters (and other food) with wine (I think we had wine but not 100% positive).  It was a lot of fun.

We've also doe the SWAKOPMUND TOWNSHIP TOUR.

We agree.

The excursions in Namibia bring back vivid and happy memories.

Here are some photos:

fullsizeoutput_404.thumb.jpeg.cd3318545e303ae5107f128bce9373fe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_407.thumb.jpeg.76794792ba6a1df4929e67622beae636.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_40a.thumb.jpeg.9f3cfb83134a6d2f2badabc4eb0231d6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_402.thumb.jpeg.969b00e6580bbbad4fab3c07d9e4759f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_431.thumb.jpeg.0271414ecbd0341ae88ddf8df903eacf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_415.thumb.jpeg.2f10d952014c0eb142300bb374ec51e3.jpeg

• Like 2

Great pictures floosie009 . Sure hope we get to go. Watched Joel Osteen on TV this morning since all churches are closed and it was a great positive sermon. Think positive and do not let the negative thoughts in. 

• Thanks 1

Blacksmith:  

Took the Luderitz tour in December 2015 when aboard Mariner.  Cape Town to Rio.  Worthwhile.  Interesting history when that area was known as German Southwest Africa.   Then, WWI.  British took over.  Luderitz is like a German colony.  Street signs in both German and English.  Our Guide was the Great Grandson of one of the early settlers and businessmen.  As a teenager (just before WWI) that guy would return to Germany over the Summers with his peers for schooling and to maintain cultural affiliation with the Homeland.  As I recall--part of that Tour was a visit to a gigantic sand dune.   One of the biggest in the world.   Now, my memory may be a bit faulty as to the sand dune portion.  

Duration of Tour was about six hours.   Had a nice lunch at Luderitz.  

GOARMY!

I did contact the clinic in AUSTIN that gives vaccinations for foreign travel and they will give a waver for the yellow fever vacination but need a letter from Doctor. Thank everyone for this advice. Sunday is booking day for excursions . Wondering if those of you on this cruise (if anyone is still booked) is booking?

17 minutes ago, jhenry1 said:

Still wondering where everyone went . 

We are still here and I’m confident there are others.  But I also think that most are sort of leaving the cruise in the background as there is so much going on and I’d bet that most of us think there is a reasonably high probability that this cruise won’t go.  Hopefully we will have better indications before final payment as that is still a good bit away.  Having said that, we booked our excursions and got everything we wanted.  We have done this cruise before and it was one of my favorites overall.

best,

john

3 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

I heard one doctor say yesterday that most likely this fall the covid virus will return . 

Things are not sounding good. 

Yes - the news yesterday was not positive in terms of the return of the COVID-19 virus returning in the winter - along with the flu.  I did hear that it would return in the winter rather than the fall which makes a difference in which cruises are likely to sail.  If this year follows last year, it may be safe to sail in November but not necessarily December.  I cannot imagine what Regent is going through with all of these predictions.  One can only hope that a vaccine will be available to save us as well as cruise lines.

Covid 'might' return, 'could' come back, 'may' be worse, 'possible' resurgence...

Bottom line - no one knows.  Me, I'm not gonna worry about out until things actually happen.  And I don't have 1,000 rolls of Charmin in my closet, either.

🙄

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Covid 'might' return, 'could' come back, 'may' be worse, 'possible' resurgence...

Bottom line - no one knows.  Me, I'm not gonna worry about out until things actually happen.  And I don't have 1,000 rolls of Charmin in my closet, either.

🙄

Hmmmm, then what do you have in your closet? (just kidding).  We are taking one day at a time - despite having a lot of money invested in future cruises.  I do think that we need to plan - just in case there is a return of the virus in the fall or winter.  We always have masks, disinfectant wipes and gloves (and am still waiting for masks that I ordered from China in February).  Hope that have all learned from the last 3 months and that we will be prepared in the future without having people hoarding.  

You also posted about no one knowing "facts" and, IMHO, that is a fact that I do believe.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jhenry1 said:

Amen no hoarding. I had to go to several places today just to locate Kleenex. Still no 91% alcohol.  

I think the alcohol truck bypassed Texas but I was finally able to order beach online from HEB this week. Progress🙂!

5 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

Keeping  my  fingers crossed  that  this cruise will take place in Dec

You can read anything you want to hear regarding the virus. Hard to know what is the real truth.

Boy - is that the truth.  You can find articles supporting any position that one has. We are still quite positive about our November cruise and try to stay away from opinions of doom and gloom.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, jhenry1 said:

Keeping  my  fingers crossed  that  this cruise will take place in Dec

I very much hope for you that the Voyager departs on this cruise and that you have a wonderful time. We were booked on this cruise but had to cancel a few weeks back.

Your problem will be the flights as well Tuesday 29/04 BA has announced 12000 redundancies on top of furloughing scheme for 38000. The airlines will not be back supplying flights in anything like pre-covid form. Plus where will the planes come from ,Boeing was already in trouble following the 737max issues, airbus is now in trouble. Which airline is going to buy/ lease new planes in this economic climate? Can they survive not selling any planes for a year, I doubt it ?

The ability to fly will reduce passengers and crew even if the cruises restart. If you look at Argentina which yesterday stopped all flights national and international till 01/09 .

We live 20miles from LHR ,it is surreal so few planes was 600+ a day now 40/60 mostly cargo, only 1 runway open, just getting used to the quiet and the deep blue skies as so little pollution. Is this the 'new normal'?