Excursions from Le Havre to Rouen

IdRatherBCruisin

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 8:55 PM, IdRatherBCruisin said:

I am looking for recommendations for excursion companies to take us from port at Le Havre to Rouen for day trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Our plan is to either walk (@20 minutes I think) or taxi from the ship to the train station in Le Havre. The average one-way train journey is under an hour. Once in Rouen we might  book a walking tour for 15 euro pp. Or take a Segway tour. Or just explore on our own.

If you look into Tours by Locals, there is a private tour offering from Le Havre for a tour of Rouen, but pretty spendy unless you get other roll call members to join you.

Take a look at Normandy Melody; this is their Le Havre to Rouen tour:

https://www.normandy-melody.com/rouen-lehavre

I will be using them later this year for a full day trip from Paris to Giverny and Rouen. Since I haven’t used them yet, I can’t give them a recommendation, but I wanted to give you their name so that you can check into them. 

Enjoy whatever you decide! 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, TupeloHoney said:

We're thinking about renting a car at the port and driving to Rouen ourselves...

Have you runtime numbers yet? I am by myself but liked that idea also.and could add friends.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Ivory19 said:

Hello,

we are looking for tour guides to take us from Le Havre to Rouen.  Any suggestions?  thank you.

Finding a driver/guide in Le Havre, to go all the way to Rouen, is not likely.  Even if you did find such a person, you would pay many hundreds of Euros.  My suggestion is to simply take the train, from Le Havre to Rouen, and arrange to meet a guide in Rouen.  Rouen is also a city that can be done DIY with the help of a guide book or downloading local info.  We have walked from the station into the heart of town with no problem.  If you do not get any specific tour guide recommendations you can always use a third party site such as the popular "Tours By Locals."  Arranging to have a local guide meet you at the train station is always an option.

Hank

4 hours ago, Ivory19 said:

we are looking for tour guides to take us from Le Havre to Rouen.  Any suggestions?  thank you.

as others have already suggested, it is very easy to take a direct train to Rouen, around an hour I think, maybe a little less.

Once there, we took the little tourist train around the historic centre then walked around on foot.  I think we paid a little under 10 euros each for the ride with commentary and it was worth it.  Rouen is very historic and there are a number of sights within quite close proximity to each other and all you would need is a guide book, or follow a walking tour.  As independents, we will often internet search and find  a "self guided walking tour of ?" and Rouen should be no exception. we walked not too far from the train station to the square at the cathedral where the little trian began  its circuit.

There should be much info and images to be found if you google "Rouen Tourist Info" or similar, plus Tripadvisor and other sites.

You may find it helpful to read some of the past threads and posts which mention Rouen.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=rouen&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=462

Edited by edinburgher

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, TMLAalum said:

Our plan is to either walk (@20 minutes I think) or taxi from the ship to the train station in Le Havre. The average one-way train journey is under an hour. Once in Rouen we might  book a walking tour for 15 euro pp. Or take a Segway tour. Or just explore on our own.

If you look into Tours by Locals, there is a private tour offering from Le Havre for a tour of Rouen, but pretty spendy unless you get other roll call members to join you.

My question to you : Did you end up walking to the train? 

Can I just purchase tickets when I arrive! 

13 hours ago, waverley7 said:

I will jump-in and say that DW and I have walked to-from the Le Havre train station (several times).  It is a long hike (I would estimate over 2 miles from ship to train platform) and we have done it in under an hour.  The good news is that the walk is flat and all within the city (suburbs) with no safety issue.  Yes, you can purchase tickets at the station (vending machines or at the ticket office located inside the station).  If you are a senior, make sure to tell the ticket agent that you want a ticket for seniors as it gets you a nice discount.  

Also be forewarned, that there is no guarantee that you will be able to find a taxi upon your return.  Give yourself extra time (at least an hour) in case you must wait for a taxi or decide to walk.  We recall one day when we got back to Le Havre late in the afternoon (on a weekend) and there was not a single taxi at the station.  Several locals were on their phones trying to get a "radio taxi" with little luck.  One of those folks was quite upset, cursed the taxi drivers, and told us they were all probably home for dinner.

Hank

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, waverley7 said:

The date of my post was just before Covid arrived so our cruise was moot!

Wish I could have been able to tell you how it went!

20 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

The date of my post was just before Covid arrived so our cruise was moot!

Wish I could have been able to tell you how it went!

Bummer .  I know that feeling. 

Thanks 😊