New York to Quebec in September

Jeffrey1950

We have gone twice  from Québec to New York and on to England. One time was in the month of Sept. and the second time was very early in Oct.

Generally the weather was pleasant: mostly sunny and mild with very little rain. Both times, however, we ran into some bumpy seas for almost 24 hours. The first time was north of Halifax and the second time it was between Halifax and New York.

September in NYC is mild and can be hot. The leaves are still green or burnt brown by now if we had a very hot/dry summer. Keep in mind the middle of September is the peek of hurricane season and any that wind up coming up here will follow the tract the ship will take up the cost from NYC. If one came ashore in the south we still get lots of rain and wind from it. I went from here to Quebec City (rt) last year in the very beginning of October and the year before at the very end. Both times the weather was very cold and rain/snow in the St Laurence.

11 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Can someone please tell me what kind of weather they have experienced doing the 14 day cruise to Canada in September please !!

Thank you !!

Probably best to view my pictures on this review. Just scroll down to the itinerary section...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

Jeffrey1950

We did this cruise last Sept  /Oct 2019 from Soton to Soton, 29 days. I will miss the TA crossings as that was not your question. 

New York Friday 4 Oct lovely sunshine, walked to central Park and no autumn colours. Wore shorts. 

Newport, Rhode Island Sat 5 Oct warm sunshine and walked about in shorts.

Boston Sun 6 Oct, warm sunshine, walked to  Acorn street and back to Faneuil square for late lunch in Hard Rock (wedding anniversary), wore shorts.

Mon 7 Oct at sea, seem to remember it was ok but windy.

Quebec Friday 10 Oct, walked around, sunny, leaves were changing colour, all cars had winter tyres on, garages had screen wash rated at -45C, wore shorts. We walked around at night and it was cool, used a fleece, Gore-Tex jacket and long trousers. Some people were wearing padded jackets. Quebec was prepared for a severe winter. 

Quebec 11 Oct, caught the local bus to Montmorency Falls, was sunny but cool and at the falls it warmed up. Wore shorts. 

Quebec 12 Oct am only, turned cold complete change  of clothing, padded winter trousers, 2 fleeces and Gore-Tex jacket, hat and gloves. 

I appreciate you may disembark in Quebec but we sailed to Saguenay Sunday 13 October, lovely sunshine,  went inland to Ouitchouan waterfall at Val Jalbert, walked around and did some waterfall photography all lovely. Walking back to the bus was warm and dry.

Sailed further north to Sept Iles and I was hoping to catch the autumn colours but they had finished,  and this was a special photo excursion to a forest. Fog descended as we left, cool, wore fleece and padded trousers. 

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Wednesday 17 October  visited Lunenburg and lovely warm sunshine, wore shorts and T shirt.  

We sailed back to New York and it was rough with QM2 being moved around but you could walk but not on deck. 

New York Friday 18 Oct, warm sunshine, but I was the only one wearing shorts and walked to Central Park but colours had not changed, but lovely walking about in the warm sunshine.

It was a lovely holiday, weather was excellent, but we went prepared for all weathers especially cold and wet. Photographically not bad but did not capture the fall colours.  

Derek.