How to get to Goffs Caye from cruise port on the day?

pbul2004

As I recall, it is excursion driven only.  Thus any vendor heading to Goffs Caye has an excursion going.  There is nothing permanent on the caye.  It's just a small dot of sand and they bring over the set ups on excursion day.  No water taxis, no boats for hire.  When there you are there until the excursion is over. 

Sorry, I mean, how to get to Goffs Caye from the cruise port.

So, if i was at the cruise port I couldn't get a group boat over for x number of hours? - Are there no tours waiting for you off the ship to get over there?

2 hours ago, pbul2004 said:

Sorry, I mean, how to get to Goffs Caye from the cruise port.

So, if i was at the cruise port I couldn't get a group boat over for x number of hours? - Are there no tours waiting for you off the ship to get over there?

Again,  Goff's Caye is a very small little spit of sand.  NOT a large place.  The vendor(s) bring over what they need for food and drink the cart it back when excursion is over.  There might be a couple of boats running from the same vendor, but  as brookeq said these are probably booked ahead of time, so the only reason some vendor would be on the dock in the morning looking for potential people would be if there was still room for that morning's excursion.

Unfortunately you and your family are going to have to choose between Goff's Caye and Altun Ha.  One or the other.

Thanks for the replies. I think we will have to leave Goffs Caye, it doesn't seem practical unless you do private which is way out of budget.

Thoughts on this...

So, we're going to look at going Altun-Ha soon as we get off the ship aiming for get back at 12-1.

Then jump on the water taxi to Caye Caulker, hopefully 12 or 1 till 4ish.

I have heard they water taxi's run every hour...

Read the schedule.   Times are Belize time, not ship time.  And you need to be sure you catch a return in order to get back to tender pier before your ship's last tender.   Most people returning catch the 1:30 Belize time for their return.

https://belizewatertaxi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/new_Schedule-1.pdf

Goffs Caye is a beautiful, very small, primitive island with good snorkeling. We enjoyed our day there and booked with Island Marketing. They are only $40 pp. If you are in to snorkeling, all equipment is provided and they give you a tour. You can purchase bbq items while on the island.

If you want to know more about the place and how our day went you can click HERE to go to my website and view tons of pictures of the beautiful island.

11 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Goffs Caye is a beautiful, very small, primitive island with good snorkeling. We enjoyed our day there and booked with Island Marketing. They are only $40 pp. If you are in to snorkeling, all equipment is provided and they give you a tour. You can purchase bbq items while on the island.

If you want to know more about the place and how our day went you can click HERE to go to my website and view tons of pictures of the beautiful island.

Great Photos as always!!  

What was the boat like?  Was it in good condition?  And about how many peeps were in the boat?

TIA

13 hours ago, E@syPe@zy said:

Great Photos as always!!  

What was the boat like?  Was it in good condition?  And about how many peeps were in the boat?

TIA

The boat was in good shape and no problems. As far as the amount of peeps in it, with our tour, every seat was filled. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable or anything. I mean to me as long as I have a seat and someone's not sitting on me, I'm good. If the boat only had a few people, I mean where I sit will be where I sit and I'm not moving around seats. But, that's just not me. It was a great tour.

6 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

The boat was in good shape and no problems. As far as the amount of peeps in it, with our tour, every seat was filled. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable or anything. I mean to me as long as I have a seat and someone's not sitting on me, I'm good. If the boat only had a few people, I mean where I sit will be where I sit and I'm not moving around seats. But, that's just not me. It was a great tour.

Thanks so much Mitsugirly!  I would hate to get in a boat and the motor quit working.  That's what I was thinking about.  I read a few years ago where a couple took an independent excursion and that happened.  Yikes!

I was curious about your new camera that you were talking about that produces those extraordinary photos!!  It sounded so interesting.  I wasn't sure I understood how it worked at all.  But then I have a few "duh" moments, so it could just be me!🤔

• 2 weeks later...

@mitsugirly What would be best Caye Caulker or Goffs Caye. I doubt it would be possible to do both?

I cant decide as they both look gorgeous. 

Amazing pictures! 

Can you go to Goffs Caye at the port or is this something you need to book in advance?

Edited by pbul2004

On 2/8/2020 at 10:42 PM, E@syPe@zy said:

Thanks so much Mitsugirly!  I would hate to get in a boat and the motor quit working.  That's what I was thinking about.  I read a few years ago where a couple took an independent excursion and that happened.  Yikes!

I was curious about your new camera that you were talking about that produces those extraordinary photos!!  It sounded so interesting.  I wasn't sure I understood how it worked at all.  But then I have a few "duh" moments, so it could just be me!🤔

Even though the company we used was "independent" they are a big company and do various excursions so it's usually not like they only have 1 boat. Usually places that depend on their reputation with the cruisers and vacationers have a back up plan. This is usually no matter what port you go to. I usually don't worry too much if it's a company that many people use. That's why I do my research ahead of time. You'll be fine. :) 

I have several Olympus Tough Camera's and they have different settings to produce various types of pictures. They have a setting that I love to use that produces a miniature look to it or what photographers call "tilt shift". My new Olympus Tough camera also has an awesome macro function that produces pretty cool pictures too.

3 hours ago, pbul2004 said:

@mitsugirly What would be best Caye Caulker or Goffs Caye. I doubt it would be possible to do both?

I cant decide as they both look gorgeous. 

Amazing pictures! 

Can you go to Goffs Caye at the port or is this something you need to book in advance?

It depends on what you are looking for. No you wouldn't be able to do both.

The Caye Caulker excursion includes swimming with the stingrays and sharks. Such a neat experience. Then you have lunch over on Caye Cualker, which is a little town that doesn't have cars (just golf carts) and is quiet with shops and restaurants.

Goffs Caye is a very small primitive island with next to nothing on it and located in the middle of the ocean. You would go there for the snorkeling and such a beautiful little place. It's one of my favorites and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But I like places like that (Rendezvous Caye is like Goffs as well and would go back there in a heartbeat). But, I'm one that loves beaches and snorkeling.

So, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Hello!

I was looking into Goff's Caye for my August NCL Breakaway cruise. I was assuming we'd take the ferry to Placencia and then go from there.  I inquired on Island Marketing's website regarding the excursion and got this reply:

Your Harvest Caye arrival cannot be serviced by independent tour Companies.

????? Anybody experience this? 

I asked about the excursion to Goffs said I was arriving at Harvest Caye via NCL. I know I can't go straight from Harvest Caye,  but they didn't say that? I thought I'd read a few members did this through this company. Maybe I'm mistaken and it was thru different cruise lines? Idk.....

Was also thinking of just doing ferry to Placencia and spending some time there,  I'm conflicted because Goffs looks BEAUTIFUL...I don't want to miss that pristine water! I'm a beach lover and it looks like paradise to me 😍

On 2/27/2020 at 1:18 PM, Beach_blonde819 said:

Hello!

I was looking into Goff's Caye for my August NCL Breakaway cruise. I was assuming we'd take the ferry to Placencia and then go from there.  I inquired on Island Marketing's website regarding the excursion and got this reply:

Your Harvest Caye arrival cannot be serviced by independent tour Companies.

????? Anybody experience this? 

I asked about the excursion to Goffs said I was arriving at Harvest Caye via NCL. I know I can't go straight from Harvest Caye,  but they didn't say that? I thought I'd read a few members did this through this company. Maybe I'm mistaken and it was thru different cruise lines? Idk.....

Was also thinking of just doing ferry to Placencia and spending some time there,  I'm conflicted because Goffs looks BEAUTIFUL...I don't want to miss that pristine water! I'm a beach lover and it looks like paradise to me 😍

I know when we went it was before NCL started going to Harvest Cay and it went to Belize City. That's probably where most people have went to Goffs in the past from. Check and see if the cruise line offers an excursion there. Or check and see if they offer an excursion to Rendezvous Caye. It's just as beautiful and the snorkeling is amazing there too!

I saw your photos and reviews... that's how I found out about Goffs😁 I believe a different excursion company (shore excursioner?)had a trip to Laughing Bird Caye, they may have Goffs also...I wouldn't mind snorkeling,  I'd love to actually,   but I really want a "beach day" too! I like the idea of how you spent your day there,  snorkeling at leisure,  and just "hanging out" at the beach, being able to have a lunch and possibly some beer/ punch e.t.c. We are not going until August,  so I'm researching now... the cruise only does the two

stops, Belize and then Costa Maya,  want to make the most of it!

Goff's Caye is too far from Harvest Caye. Harvest Caye is basically 1 big beach. Take the ferry to Placencia. Some nice beaches. on shore.

Since you have time, for Costa Maya, look into Maya Chan. more isolated than other spots. If an AI isn't your thing,  either go to Blue Kay at northern end of malecon, or Malecon 21 at southern end. Both quieter, less crowded.

Thank you @mitsugirly  ( I "thought" I tagged you in my previous post,  but apparently not,  new to this )and @crewsweeper

Bummer about Goffs being too far! I was planning on going to Placencia, but the looks of Goffs caught me... I'd kind of like to snorkel being that we will be in an area "known" for the reefs,  but I also like a leisurely beach day, not sure I want to book a strictly snorkel excursion, I believe the ship offers one, I can't see the details as to where but it's a couple of hours long. I've only snorkled once in my life in the FL Keys, Marathon, and this was a self guided,  at the beach type of deal. 

I'm looking into what to do at Costa Maya as well... have been reading about all the beach clubs. Thanks for the info!

23 hours ago, Beach_blonde819 said:

I saw your photos and reviews... that's how I found out about Goffs😁 I believe a different excursion company (shore excursioner?)had a trip to Laughing Bird Caye, they may have Goffs also...I wouldn't mind snorkeling,  I'd love to actually,   but I really want a "beach day" too! I like the idea of how you spent your day there,  snorkeling at leisure,  and just "hanging out" at the beach, being able to have a lunch and possibly some beer/ punch e.t.c. We are not going until August,  so I'm researching now... the cruise only does the two

stops, Belize and then Costa Maya,  want to make the most of it!

I have never heard of Laughing Bird Caye so I just had to look it up. It looks beautiful there too and I bet it's something like Goffs but maybe a little bigger?? What cruise line are you on that offers it? It says it's a National Park so I bet you'd like it (bet I would too). It also says it's off Placencia so probably easy to get to. I'm definitely going to have to check this out next time we are in Belize.

@mitsugirly the cruise line doesn't offer the excursion,  we are on NCL Breakaway... they offer some kind of snorkeling excursion of 2.5 hrs for something like $99 I think. .. but it doesn't say where or I'm just looking in wrong place? There are a few private tour companies on Placencia that offer charter type tours, leaving from Placencia, looks like around $125/pp but basically private type tour, with lunch, drinks, snorkel, beach  pick up and return to Placencia Pier... I'd just want to make sure we have enough time... our itinerary says 10am to 6pm at HC, so we'd also have to figure in ferry to/ from HC/Placencia. "Nautical

Adventures Belize" offers a private island trip for $125.... https://www.nauticaladventuresbelize.com/tours/half-day-snorkeling/

13 hours ago, Beach_blonde819 said:

@mitsugirly the cruise line doesn't offer the excursion,  we are on NCL Breakaway... they offer some kind of snorkeling excursion of 2.5 hrs for something like $99 I think. .. but it doesn't say where or I'm just looking in wrong place? There are a few private tour companies on Placencia that offer charter type tours, leaving from Placencia, looks like around $125/pp but basically private type tour, with lunch, drinks, snorkel, beach  pick up and return to Placencia Pier... I'd just want to make sure we have enough time... our itinerary says 10am to 6pm at HC, so we'd also have to figure in ferry to/ from HC/Placencia. "Nautical

Adventures Belize" offers a private island trip for $125.... https://www.nauticaladventuresbelize.com/tours/half-day-snorkeling/

Oh ok. Yea, I'm really not into just a "snorkeling excursion". They usually just consist of being on a boat, jumping off and snorkeling, then returning. That's really not my thing. 

If you decide to book something, going from Placencia, I would definitely reach out to the company and see what time they'd have you back to catch the ferry back over. Most reputable companies are well aware of the cruise ship schedules and make sure they have the excursion ending way before it's time to get back...and I would hope especially with enough time to catch the ferry back over. I would also research if anyone else on the boards have used the company you are considering and how their day went. 

I wish you luck on figuring it out. I know it can be stressful wondering if you can make it work or not. 

@mitsugirlyYes..I think this it's exactly what the cruise offers for their excursion... boat, hop off, snorkel and return= no thanks, not my cup of tea.. seems like the independent companies based in Placencia offer more private like tours,  with beach time,  lunch e.t.c.   the one I was looking into does mention Harvest Caye,  so hoping they are knowledgeable about cruises,  it seems they are.  I have emailed them,  explaining our situation (having to ferry to/ from HC/Placencia and our port time)and waiting to hear back... we will have a party of 13 people,  12 adults and one child,  so it could possibly be just us as a tour😍 I will keep you updated🙏😁

58 minutes ago, Beach_blonde819 said:

@mitsugirlyYes..I think this it's exactly what the cruise offers for their excursion... boat, hop off, snorkel and return= no thanks, not my cup of tea.. seems like the independent companies based in Placencia offer more private like tours,  with beach time,  lunch e.t.c.   the one I was looking into does mention Harvest Caye,  so hoping they are knowledgeable about cruises,  it seems they are.  I have emailed them,  explaining our situation (having to ferry to/ from HC/Placencia and our port time)and waiting to hear back... we will have a party of 13 people,  12 adults and one child,  so it could possibly be just us as a tour😍 I will keep you updated🙏😁

It sounds like your family of 13 would be a great time on a boat. I hope you get things worked out. It is the trip to Goffs or to Laughing bird? If you go to Laughing Bird, I want to hear all about it when you get back because that would be my next choice when I return. Time for something new 😄 Take lots of pictures. 😉 

I just went and looked at the link you provided...and the pictures of Laughing Bird Caye and other pictures they had....yep, that's exactly what I want to do when I return. It also says it's from 9-3pm, so I'm wondering if the time is different than ship time since you mentioned you are in port from 10-6pm. If they come back and 3pm, that's more than enough time to get back to HC I would think. Looking at Google Maps, Laughing bird is right there in that area too. I see it as a win-win. 

@mitsugirly😂😂yes! It's my husband and I and my friend, her significant other, (his daughter +1)her brother +1, her sister+1 and her child, and another couple! 

It's not even much more money than what the cruise offers, but looks to be WELL worth it! I think they go to Laughing Bird or Silk Caye.. yes I've been scouring the maps, goggling everything, reading reviews! It even may be possible to do hours catered to us,  because seems like we'd be the whole "group"? As long as we can catch that ferry back!

Next is getting me some multi focal contacts😒 so I can snorkel, and I need suggestions on a camera! I'm not experienced at taking photos, but NEED to on a trip like this!