Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There has been a later Vlog from Stephen - see post 290. That's the problem with media articles, by the time they are written they are out of date.

I found them really hard to listen to - I know he is under incredible stress but only when his wife/partner talked did I get a handle on what is happening so I gave up listening a few days ago. 

10 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I found them really hard to listen to - I know he is under incredible stress but only when his wife/partner talked did I get a handle on what is happening so I gave up listening a few days ago. 

He'd calmed down a bit in the last one. 🤣 Unlike his Dad I don't think he's used to public speaking. His wife is lovely though, and makes things very clear.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Diamond Princess has had a Level-3 deep cleaning by Belfor at a Yokohama shipyard.

Japan has lifted quarantine from vessel & ship remains at dockyard for refurbishment / replacement of furnishings.

Will be ready for summer season in Japan?

2 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Diamond Princess has had a Level-3 deep cleaning by Belfor at a Yokohama shipyard.

Japan has lifted quarantine from vessel & ship remains at dockyard for refurbishment / replacement of furnishings.

Will be ready for summer season in Japan?

If you are talking this year I doubt it, next year summer we can only wait and see how things progress. 

27 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

I would put my money on a return to service this year. If the Japanese authorities let it sail and their domestic market boards for holidays then it is likely to be the first Princess ship to return to service.

Japan is about to go into emergency lockdown, there will be no sailing this year:

Japan's coronavirus containment strategy faces breaking point

As time passes Diamond Princess might end up like ye olde Queen Mary been parked at Long Beach, California for many a year.  I went aboard her in 2007.   Now the Japanese could commandeer Diamond Princess for use as a hospital ship, it could have what..1500 'isolation wards' utilising passenger and crew cabins. 

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Perhaps they might just use her as a floating old peoples home .....

Nahhhh Diamond Princess is a plague ship ,, send her to Alang Beach

Regards

John

HAL ships are floating Nursing Homes, Princess ships are just floating Senior Citizens Homes.😂

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

Perhaps they might just use her as a floating old peoples home .....

Nahhhh Diamond Princess is a plague ship ,, send her to Alang Beach

Regards

John

There are too many other ships caught up in it now for Diamond Princess to be remembered like that not to mention hotels and airlines. I would put it at 90% chances of restarting this year and 100% at being the first Princess ship to resume sailing. I think there is 0% chance of Europe allowing cruise ships to resume this year and Australia is looking like a 5% chance of resuming domestically this year.

The cases around the world have diverted attention from it. If people go back after noro-virus outbreaks then chances are this will be quickly forgotten about and people desperate to resume normal life.

I am being 100% truthful here that if it did return to service this year and Australia opened its borders to Japan then I would be there on the first cruise.

• Thanks 1

The Australian Press will never let the name Diamond Princess  stand for anything other than pain ,,, no princess will have to redeploy her and rename her after a deep clean and possibly a minor refit   ... .. perhaps she might go to the South American market  (Spanish speaking)

Regards

John

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

The Australian Press will never let the name Diamond Princess  stand for anything other than pain ,,, no princess will have to redeploy her and rename her after a deep clean and possibly a minor refit   ... .. perhaps she might go to the South American market  (Spanish speaking)

Regards

John

The Australian press have replaced it with Ruby Princess now. Diamond is almost permanently based in Japan now due to its loyal following. Its passengers are mainly Japanese locals. There is now an office in Japan to facilitate it.

3 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

There are too many other ships caught up in it now for Diamond Princess to be remembered like that not to mention hotels and airlines. I would put it at 90% chances of restarting this year and 100% at being the first Princess ship to resume sailing.

You are an eternal optimist😂.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You are an eternal optimist😂.

I hope so. I saw the response on a daily basis with the crisis unfolding. The Japanese authorities were going above and beyond to look after that ship in Japan. They were cleaning on a daily basis, assisting the crew. The news media was constantly around and it was the lead story during the time it was tied up. The discipline and routine over there is something out of this world. What I have witnessed first hand gives me confidence that it will return to service there.

5 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

I hope so. I saw the response on a daily basis with the crisis unfolding. The Japanese authorities were going above and beyond to look after that ship in Japan. They were cleaning on a daily basis, assisting the crew. The news media was constantly around and it was the lead story during the time it was tied up. The discipline and routine over there is something out of this world. What I have witnessed first hand gives me confidence that it will return to service there.

I agree with you. The Japanese authorities put an enormous effort, and expense, into helping with the Diamond Princess. Unfortunately, it went wrong, maybe it was not understood at the time how incredibly infectious this virus is. The American CDC report states that there was no passenger to passenger infection after the imposition of the quarantine was put in place, but that the virus spread through the crew, mainly in the crew dining room. In hindsight, it would have been better to bring food and supplies from off the ship (as happened later) and had it delivered by suitably-protected personnel.

We have travelled in Japan a couple of times and have been impressed by the people and how polite they are and the cleanliness of everywhere we went.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with you. The Japanese authorities put an enormous effort, and expense, into helping with the Diamond Princess. Unfortunately, it went wrong, maybe it was not understood at the time how incredibly infectious this virus is. The American CDC report states that there was no passenger to passenger infection after the imposition of the quarantine was put in place, but that the virus spread through the crew, mainly in the crew dining room. In hindsight, it would have been better to bring food and supplies from off the ship (as happened later) and had it delivered by suitably-protected personnel.

We have travelled in Japan a couple of times and have been impressed by the people and how polite they are and the cleanliness of everywhere we went.

Oh actually I am not sure if you read it (I assume everyone reads the same cruise articles I read) but the Japanese authorities completed an investigation into how the virus spread on the Diamond Princess. The results were that I believe two crew members tested positive for the virus who were preparing food for the passengers. That was the lead theory. When I wrote my report about the food I was eating during quarantine I went for food in wrappers or hard boiled eggs which could not be contaminated.