Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I saw a copy of the quarantine menu posted, lunch -  stir fry or stir fry, dinner - lasagne or beef stew, better than nothing, Princess staff on board would be under the pump alright.  I would have withdrawal symptoms by now - no alcohol, , I would have quaffed our Elite Mini Bar by day 3.  Good luck to all those on board.

You ought to turn on SBS on demand and take a look at the Japanese news. There is no subtitles but you will understand the pictures. I watch it every night before bed. The food the Japanese are getting seems to be better with things like ham and cheese croissants and a wider range of food. 

13 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

So what cruises are cancelled now in addition to the Feb 4 and Feb 12 ones mentioned on their website.

The Feb 20 one is the third one to be cancelled. I'll try to find where I saw the announcement, I think it was on one of teh FB forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

I haven't listen to his latest videos, but the last one I did he said he had talked to all sorts of media. 

He was getting swamped by calls from media so he announced he would only be talking to British media from now on. Fair enough too.

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Feb 20 one is the third one to be cancelled. I'll try to find where I saw the announcement, I think it was on one of teh FB forums.

I found it. It was in the Diamond thread on the Princess forum.

"Just received a notification from Princess Cruise that Diamond Princess cruise departing February 20, 2020 has been cancelled. (M006 & M006D)

All passengers will receive a full refund & 50% FCC."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I found it. It was in the Diamond thread on the Princess forum.

"Just received a notification from Princess Cruise that Diamond Princess cruise departing February 20, 2020 has been cancelled. (M006 & M006D)

All passengers will receive a full refund & 50% FCC."

Cruises from March 15th are advertised on their website as for sale. No cruises on sale before that date. Could be a sign they expect to see it back to normal by then.

I am booked on 11th April.

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

41 new virus cases on Diamond Princess.

ABC News

Holy Moly.  By the time all tests of the pax and crew are completed, it could be in the hundreds.😮

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

I report (without comment) that on the Princess section of this forum, some Americans are seriously suggesting that 'DT' should 'rescue' the Americans on the ship. They talk about Navy hospital ships etc. One woman said she wouldn't stay on the ship - she would jump overboard.

The UK man, Mr. Abel whose videos were posted initially, is very balanced in his comments.

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Holy Moly.  By the time all tests of the pax and crew are completed, it could be in the hundreds.😮

This is more information on the additional cases. It appears that the additional 41 people were infected earlier, not while the ship is in quarantine.

As Japanese health officials concluded the screening of the 273 passengers potentially exposed to the virus, they said that 61 had tested positive. The passengers were removed from the ship and taken to medical facilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Morning young Sarah….The one he made yesterday I just watched, he said he had been hammered by the international media 24/7 and was now only talking to UK media.   He is doing a fine job in my opinion.   Princess will probably sign him up after this and give him a job as on board guest speaker.

Yeah, not sure those talks about "how I survived quarantine on a cruise ship" are really going to be a popular sell to the cruise line's entertainment schedulers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

Cruises from March 15th are advertised on their website as for sale. No cruises on sale before that date. Could be a sign they expect to see it back to normal by then.

I am booked on 11th April.

Not see it as back to normal. They just only cancel things at as late a moment as possible as there's obviously a lot of cost and disruption to do so. Same as how the three cancellations so far have only been released one at a time.

Have no fear, further cruises WILL be cancelled...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I report (without comment) that on the Princess section of this forum, some Americans are seriously suggesting that 'DT' should 'rescue' the Americans on the ship. They talk about Navy hospital ships etc. One woman said she wouldn't stay on the ship - she would jump overboard.

The UK man, Mr. Abel whose videos were posted initially, is very balanced in his comments.

I was telling my daughter last night about the Diamond Princess quarantine on the ship and pointed out that there were people stuck in inside cabins. She wondered if people might jump and I pointed out that 'not from the inside cabins, they wouldn't be!'

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Not a doctor, but won't the quarantine continue until 14 days after the last known case - isn't that the only way to ensure that no-one else is infected? Maybe not??

yes but they are already quarantined from the infected people unless the infected are in their room.

34 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Not a doctor, but won't the quarantine continue until 14 days after the last known case - isn't that the only way to ensure that no-one else is infected? Maybe not??

No. The reason they have kept people isolated on the ship is so the virus cannot be transmitted from an infected passenger to one who is not. The 'new' 41 positives were infected before the quarantine went into place. The Japanese authorities announced that these positive results were from tests undertake on the 273 people who were considered more at risk. They had either been in contact with the man known to be infected, or they were showing symptoms.

I hear that there are five Australians in this next batch of 41. That is in addition to the two in the earlier batch of those who tested positive.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Mr Abel is still posting, very informative

Edited by Host Carolyn

47 minutes ago, dethman said:

can you imagine being quarantined in an inside cabin?  no window, no natural light, tiny little room?  learning from the internet about the 41 new cases on your ship?  crazy.

It would be very difficult in an inside cabin, even more so if they have small children with them. Most of the passengers seem to be making the best of it. BTW, the 41 cases are from the initial testing. They have not contracted the virus while they were in quarantine.

• Like 1

With our first ever cruise due to leave on 10 March to NZ (Golden Princess), I am wondering what the situation will be like in 32 days time.

The irony is that I used to say I would never go on a cruise because of norovirus. I got over that fear and have spent the last 12 months excitedly counting down the days to our cruise.

I've been following David Abel's video blogs and here's a quick summary of the latest comments from him:

Yes, another 41 of the 273 passengers who have undergone further testing have been confirmed as having the virus and are currently being taken off the ship to hospital. One of these is a man on his honeymoon and his wife is still on the ship.

All passengers have been issued with thermometers and have been asked to take their temperatures regularly, and to call the medical centre if their temperatures rise.

Most of the inside cabins have been allowed out to exercise, David thinks. They must wear masks and gloves and keep one metre away from other passengers.

David still isn't sure whether the quarantine will be extended if any other passengers, other than the 273 already being tested, come down with the virus. Some Canadian media people think it might be but that may be just speculation. If all passengers have remained in quarantine I can't see why it should be extended but that's just my opinion.

The meals are getting better, however they have not being provided with any fresh towels (although he has just said that if they leave them outside the door they will be replaced), no fresh bed linen, or any cleaning products. Cabins are not being serviced by crew members. Also the Japanese health authorities are not allowing the ship to do any passenger laundry.

I think that just about covers everything he's mentioned today about the current situation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Yeah, not sure those talks about "how I survived quarantine on a cruise ship" are really going to be a popular sell to the cruise line's entertainment schedulers.

Okay I found his latest video.  

Edited by icat2000