Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

Another 99 people on the Diamond Princess have tested positive to the coronavirus. Probably a good idea to be removing groups of passengers to their home countries as USA, Australia and New Zealand have now done. Better that they should be in smaller groups. I hope all passengers and staff from the ship manage to recover fully if they are, or do become, unwell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think they will be quarantined at the former mining camp at Howard near Darwin;.

It was announced this afternoon that the Australians from the Diamond will be taken to Howard. This is logical as it is a big complex and more than able to house the passengers separately from those who were brought back from Wuhan. 

Leigh

34 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Another 99 people on the Diamond Princess have tested positive to the coronavirus. Probably a good idea to be removing groups of passengers to their home countries as USA, Australia and New Zealand have now done. Better that they should be in smaller groups. I hope all passengers and staff from the ship manage to recover fully if they are, or do become, unwell.

Incubation period of up to two weeks. Where were they all two weeks ago? At a massive party in the ships three deck atrium with a supply of free drinks, crowds, farewells and close physical contact. That explains the spike we will see in the coming days when all the passengers were grouped together in one large area with all those germs to spread. They probably all had contracted it by then.

I know Matthew Smith on twitter who is the lawyer from the US and his wife who made the decision not to take the US evacuation flight home is having second thoughts in light of the  increase in infections.

I know he has been saying on twitter he doesn't. But I wonder ....

I would have taken the flight. Better to get out of the situation and back on home soil. 

59 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I know Matthew Smith on twitter who is the lawyer from the US and his wife who made the decision not to take the US evacuation flight home is having second thoughts in light of the  increase in infections.

I would have taken the flight. Better to get out of the situation and back on home soil. 

Couldn't agree more. The US will make them have a two week quarantine I think when they arrive back in the country, anyway, and surely better to take the opportunity to get out of the region which is the centre for the virus' activity.

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Same here, get out of the region. 2 weeks at a US Airforce base like Travis would be ok.  They would get burgers, hot dogs, pizza, tacos, ice cream by the gallon, all the good stuff American servicemen and women get to eat on base. Some of the big US bases even have McDonalds, KFC and Taco Bell on site, true.

Edited by NSWP

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

It was announced this afternoon that the Australians from the Diamond will be taken to Howard. This is logical as it is a big complex and more than able to house the passengers separately from those who were brought back from Wuhan. 

Leigh

And from the photos I have seen of the facility, very acceptable, like a 3 star motel with pool, gym and many other  recreational facilities.  It reportedly housed 3500 persons when it was occupied by mining staff.  Closed since 2018.

BTW  'Diamond Dave and 'Princess Sally are a little agitated now, awaiting their test results.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Same here, get out of the region. 2 weeks at a US Airforce base like Travis would be ok.  They would get burgers, hot dogs, pizza, tacos, ice cream by the gallon, all the good stuff American servicemen and women get to eat on base. Some of the big US bases even have McDonalds, KFC and Taco Bell on site, true.

There a post on Facebook of the accommodation. Looks like a spacious two bedroom hotel room. 

14 hours ago, dragonlord24601 said:

Incubation period of up to two weeks. Where were they all two weeks ago? At a massive party in the ships three deck atrium with a supply of free drinks, crowds, farewells and close physical contact. That explains the spike we will see in the coming days when all the passengers were grouped together in one large area with all those germs to spread. They probably all had contracted it by then.

I hope you are correct. If not, they either contracted it from being in the same cabin as an infected person, got it from contact with crew, got too close when they were let out for exercise or (and this is most worrying as well as extremely unlikely) contracted it via the air conditioning system. Imagine if they had all returned to their respective homes.  

Stop Press:    David and Sally Abel of FB fame have tested positive for Corona Virus and being moved to a hostel off the ship, he is claiming it is a set up to shut him up.   So no Evac flight for them yet and no wifi, FB, Internet etc.   They will be in melt down and Bento boxes of Jap food too which he despises.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

And from the photos I have seen of the facility, very acceptable, like a 3 star motel with pool, gym and many other  recreational facilities.  It reportedly housed 3500 persons when it was occupied by mining staff.  Closed since 2018.

BTW  'Diamond Dave and 'Princess Sally are a little agitated now, awaiting their test results.

That ship is like pea soup now. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Stop Press:    David and Sally Abel of FB fame have tested positive for Corona Virus and being moved to a hostel off the ship, he is claiming it is a set up to shut him up.   So no Evac flight for them yet and no wifi, FB, Internet etc.   They will be in melt down and Bento boxes of Jap food too which he despises.

He had a cough and looked run down when I listen to his video this morning. It would not surprise me if a lot more on that ship had it too. He having a right meltdown. Who does he think set them up Princess? Japanese. British Government?

Edited by icat2000

Heard this afternoon some Aussies on board are considering not taking up the offer of the Aust Gov't rescue flight tomorrow, instead getting their own way home. Apparently, there is a big risk of catching the disease on board the flight. A dozen or so people fell ill on the USA rescue flight back to the US. 

Makes you wonder. 

5 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

Heard this afternoon some Aussies on board are considering not taking up the offer of the Aust Gov't rescue flight tomorrow, instead getting their own way home. Apparently, there is a big risk of catching the disease on board the flight. A dozen or so people fell ill on the USA rescue flight back to the US. 

Makes you wonder. 

14 people amongst the US passengers taken from the Diamond Princess were found to have positive results at the time they were boarding the buses - I gather from the test they had done in the day or so prior. Unless it was another similar number, I think it is this group that rumour is referring to. Those passengers were then isolated in a separate box-like cabin (there's a photo on-line somewhere) on the plane.

Edited by LittleFish1976
typo

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

I watched an interview on BBC this morning with Steve, David and Sally's son, who said his father emailed him on Tuesday to tell him they had both been tested positive and were being taken to hospital.  Later on Facebook he saw that his father had been taken to a hostel.  Steve has been calling the Authorities for the last five days but hasn't heard back.  

11 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

Makes you wonder. 

The problem there though is that once the commercial airlines see they have been on Diamond . they could be denied boarding . 
It is indeed a big worry .

11 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The problem there though is that once the commercial airlines see they have been on Diamond . they could be denied boarding . 
It is indeed a big worry .

This is why I think the twitter poster Matthew Smith might have a harder time getting home than he thinks. Just like the Australians considering not taking the evacuation flight are risking being trapped in a country because no airline will take the risk. 

16 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

This is why I think the twitter poster Matthew Smith might have a harder time getting home than he thinks. Just like the Australians considering not taking the evacuation flight are risking being trapped in a country because no airline will take the risk. 

Exactly ...

and there in  lies the big problem .

The public are saying No thanks , I am not running the risk of being trapped on a ship . 
It’s been a huge wake up call as our generations have virtually forgotten what it meant to be quarantined ....under force.