Why Don’t You Think Before You Speak?

Ukigirl

I’m amused by some of the dumb things people have said to me when they found out I’m taking a solo cruise. I’m happily married, hubby and I have gone on at least a dozen cruises so I’m very comfortable with RCL ships. Because of his work schedule he has limited vacation days , most of those will be used for a back to back in November but my office will be closed for a couple weeks in March.  I brought up the idea of my bucket list which includes a solo cruise and he has no problem with me going.  I’m an introvert, love alone time so looking forward to being a big girl by flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying overnight and getting on that ship all by myself (been married for 32 years). Just want to chill by the pool with my books, eat when I want to and basically do whatever I want and this a big deal for me.  If I want to talk to other people I will, if I don’t then that’s just fine too. Well, told some members of my family and friends and got so many comments, everything from “aren’t you scared for your safety “, “what are people on the ship going to think when they see you by yourself “, “you will be eating alone?” and my absolute favorite “is everything ok with your marriage??”  I’ve read a lot of threads on Solo cruises, I’m a smart woman who can take care of myself and yet I still can’t believe those comments. Yeah should have kept my mouth shut. Sorry for the long rant 🙄

Edited by Ukigirl
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ukigirl: Ha! Your thread got my attention pretty quick with solo and stupid questions! I am not married but, cruise solo all the time. And you are right with the questions, a lot of passengers think it is strange as well. Do what you want, when you want, and how you want. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with taking a solo cruise.  You can do what you want, when you want.  That sounds very relaxing!  I've taken about 15 cruises with my husband, but my cruise in March on the Harmony will just be me and my grandson (17). My husband has a week long class that week.  I've never cruised without my husband, but like you, I can take care of myself.  I can find things to do while my grandson is busy.

I've seen many people eating alone or watching shows alone and never gave it a second thought. People even sometimes do that when they cruise with other people. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by TNcruising02

Yep , there’s a difference between solo and singles cruises and I’m actually trying really hard to contain my excitement. You are so right about the status, thanks for reminding me I’ll get double points. 

• Like 7

I'm a 30 year old guy, single, and cruise solo sometimes!  It's great!  Very much introverted depending on the day and know exactly how you feel.  Getting these questions all the time, it's all about not letting it get to you.  You'll run into a lot of envious people though!

• Like 2

People are idiots. I have been traveling alone for business for years. It wasn't a stretch (and saved a few bucks) when I took a long weekend cruise instead of flying home from Florida. My friends and family had the same reaction. It was totally enjoyable. 

I did the same thing you are looking to do. I was training for a CrossFit competition at the time, so I woke up early, ran a couple of miles, worked out for about an hour, spent the days by the pool with a book and a few drinks, and ate by myself, went to shows by myself. Loved it. 

Honestly- don't even explain it to them. Tell them you got a deal and your husband couldn't go but wanted you to enjoy yourself. Tell or dont tell as many people as you see fit!

• Like 2

The best I encountered was being asked to take a picture for a group of older women at sailaway. They asked if I wanted them to take my and my (apparently invisible) wife's picture. I told them I appreciated it but I was solo. They all proceeded to tell me that they were adopting me into their group and they would 'find me a girl'. Needless to say I spent the weekend avoid them like the Coronavirus! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Even though living in a happy relationship for over 18 years now- once a year I cruise " solo " . Partner is not very grazy about traveling - I am the reverse. So ever since for once a year it´s just me. I love every minute of it- I am also a litte bit of a looner- so I quite enjoy time for myself- even though i met the most wonderful people on my  solo cruises.

The realtionship benefits, too. LOL!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

kruerci- that was wonderful- make me laugh out loud. I don´t blame you- for avoiding them like the Corono Virus- even though I am sure they ment well. LOl.

They meant well. It was just the exact opposite of what I wanted to deal with 😅.

• Like 1

Believe me, I’ve read all of John&LaLa’s threads and many more.  I even had a friend ask if I wanted her to come along for company...hell no.  Kruzerci, I’m excited about working out as when it’s us two, we always talk ourselves out of it but I’ve got all day. Can you tell I’m just a bit excited?

• Like 2

Just now, Ukigirl said:

Believe me, I’ve read all of John&LaLa’s threads and many more.  I even had a friend ask if I wanted her to come along for company...hell no.  Kruzerci, I’m excited about working out as when it’s us two, we always talk ourselves out of it but I’ve got all day. Can you tell I’m just a bit excited?

You're going to enjoy it. What ship are you going on? It's also easy now to keep in touch via text/iMessage with your significant other with the wifi these days (if you want to keep in touch!)

I sense more to the story here.  Sorry to hear about your marriage. 

Just kidding. 

People are funny, they run everything through their own experience and feelings.  If they wouldn't do it, they don't understand why you you would want to.  HAVE A GREAT TIME.  Remember to send your husband lots of photos to look at while he works.

I have 9 solo cruises planned for this year on 5 different cruise lines. Doing Europe 3 times, alaska, Caribbean, Mexican Rivieria.

While I have cruised with family, I prefer to go alone to enjoy ship and ports. I have fun watching families argue or couples bicker.

The only comment I hate is when someone looks at me with sad face and says "are you all by yourself, why".

Otherwise never be afraid to travel solo.

There are folks in hospitals that would gladly switch places.

On a cruise a book is my pal. A real book not tablet.

I find it easy to talk to strangers and I find the lonely crew to be fun to chat with. And restaurants can always fit one person in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I find it easy to talk to strangers and I find the lonely crew to be fun to chat with. And restaurants can always fit one person in.

I’m thinking of mostly Windjammer, not MDR.  Have you done specialty restaurants on your own, question is do you book onboard or just walk in?  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

The only comment I hate is when someone looks at me with sad face and says "are you all by yourself, why".

I would tell them I'm with "Me, Myself and I", watch their reaction, smile then walk away.  The answer to "Why?" is "Because". (Period!)

31 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

See days- love them- so I am also a See day person- sometimes the port´s are more in the way then usefull. Been there, done that so on! Give me my book- my e-book reader in my case- and I am happy as the Cow Elsa.

Ahh...but the wonderful upside to ports you aren’t interested in is you get the ship to yourself!

I haven’t done a true solo cruise as of yet. I did a few with my then 17/18-year-old son so I was essentially solo since the minute we boarded he ran off to the teen club and I really never saw him again unless he was sound asleep in the cabin as I was leaving in the mornings. I loved those cruises.  

I seriously think I’m going to do a true solo soon. I’m going to pick it based on a ship that I like leaving a convenient port and going to very warm weather without regard to the specific ports. If it’s a bunch of ports I don’t care about all the better. That way I’ll get the stay on a quiet ship with my book and pina colada.