Lobster

Honeybe

Well I'll be. We are bickering now about lobsters, and where they come from. Well, I'm from Texas, and we don't have those down here,  and I couldn't tell you if what I'm eating is a spiney lobster or a Maine lobster. It doesn't make any difference to me. To me, they are both good! I think I've had lobster for a total of 4, maybe 5 times in my lifetime. Soooo, no importante, si?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

There are regulations regarding the advertising of "Maine" lobsters. Carnival just needs to follow them.

This is exactly what you said which implies Carnival is not following the rules, if there are any

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Well I'll be. We are bickering now about lobsters, and where they come from. Well, I'm from Texas, and we don't have those down here,  and I couldn't tell you if what I'm eating is a spiney lobster or a Maine lobster. It doesn't make any difference to me. To me, they are both good! I think I've had lobster for a total of 4, maybe 5 times in my lifetime. Soooo, no importante, si?

ES May bueno

I used to eat lobster everywhere it was offered.

Then someone ask me if I liked the lobster or the butter.

To tell the truth I liked the butter and plain lobster was just OK.

Saved me lots of money not ordering lobster out.

but ill still jump on the free butter with lobster on cruises.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

I used to eat lobster everywhere it was offered.

Then someone ask me if I liked the lobster or the butter.

To tell the truth I liked the butter and plain lobster was just OK.

Saved me lots of money not ordering lobster out.

but ill still jump on the free butter with lobster on cruises.

Very interesting. I do love butter.....

Living in NY, the only lobster we are usually exposed to are the Maine Lobsters. When we cruise, we used to get the lobster tails on 7 day cruises 1st formal nights in the MDR. They damn near always ended up being overcooked, and cold by the time they reached us. I don't like eating rubber that has a fishy taste, so we stopped ordering them even though they were "free". We do the Steak House, but order anything other than lobster tails. If you live somewhere outside of the east coast, then I can understand that fresh lobster might not be something easy to get, so ANY lobster may be good to you, so I don't knock you for enjoying the ships offering. But when Maine is only a good 4 hour drive away, the fish markets in our city have fresh lobsters all of the time.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I couldn't tell you if what I'm eating is a spiney lobster or a Maine lobster

Jimbo, if I gave you a blind taste test, you could tell they were very different in taste and texture. I am not saying you say which is Maine or Spiney, but there is a difference, especially the texture. Maine lobsters cooked correctly or so juicy and tender.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, Cherries Jubilee said:

Am I the only weirdo who liked the lobster in the MDR better than the one in the steakhouse? I don’t care about the size difference because I can order multiples in the MDR. My  MDR lobster tail was just a better texture and flavor. The steakhouse tail wasn’t bad but it didn’t make me feel like it was worth paying for in comparison to the free formal night lobster. It could have been an off night for the steakhouse or just an on night for the MDR but it did convince me not to bother ordering the pay lobster.

I realize how subjective taste is, but one in my party said the same thing.  He ordered surf and turf in the Steakhouse and ate very little of the lobster, saying it wasn't nearly as good as the one served free in the MDR.

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

I realize how subjective taste is, but one in my party said the same thing.  He ordered surf and turf in the Steakhouse and ate very little of the lobster, saying it wasn't nearly as good as the one served free in the MDR.

If I order a meal that is 38 bucks, you sure as heck can bet I would eat it.  

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I agree.  After two tough filet mignons in a row I stopped booking the steakhouse.  Though the steak tartare is really good, that alone won't get me to pay $38 per person again.

11 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I agree.  After two tough filet mignons in a row I stopped booking the steakhouse.  Though the steak tartare is really good, that alone won't get me to pay $38 per person again.

Most still for us, altho the meal on the Legend was OK, not great   

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

I have never had a tough filet anywhere, unless you are cooking it to death. The filet is the most tender cut on the cow, can imagine how the sirloin would be if the filet were tough. 

10 hours ago, coevan said:

I have never had a tough filet anywhere, unless you are cooking it to death. The filet is the most tender cut on the cow, can imagine how the sirloin would be if the filet were tough. 

I know - tough filet mignon is an oxymoron and I order them rare so it wasn't cooked to death.  It obviously wasn't prime or even choice. 

The Steakhouse on the Breeze is the only place I've ever had tough ones.  So it's not in the cards for me to pay for the chance of getting a third one.

14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Even paying extra for it, I wouldn't eat something I didn't enjoy.

2 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I know - tough filet mignon is an oxymoron and I order them rare so it wasn't cooked to death.  It obviously wasn't prime or even choice. 

The Steakhouse on the Breeze is the only place I've ever had tough ones.  So it's not in the cards for me to pay for the chance of getting a third one.

We had filet (medium rare) on Grandeur of the Seas that was also tough and not very flavorful - almost turned us off specialty restaurants - so it can happen.  If you enjoy the steakhouse experience otherwise you might want to try the cowboy steak or one of the other offerings.  I actually find filet to be hit or miss in preparation, when it's done right it is amazing but if not it's just meh for me.