Cruise Critic Community
Vampiress88

What does everyone do/did for a living

Couple of comments on threads over the last week or two especially about class levels on p&o it got me wondering about what everyone does for a living 

so me I’m a part time worker- part time mum I suppose. 
I am probably bottom in class 🤔 maybe middle- is it the amount you earn that determines this? 

I work in a call centre. I’m a sales advisor and I work for a very big well known company. Have been there 11 years now. I’ve done many things in there, sales, piloting new systems, working for a different company under our company umbrella, complaints, fixing system issues and since having the kids back to sales. 

my husband worked for a big British industry for 12 years as an electrical engineer. He is now with a big name brand company,one that everyone one knows the name of but always gets what they actually do completely wrong. He is a maintenance engineer now mainly working with robots. 

I know certain people rave about the newspapers they read etc but we don’t watch the news, we don’t even have live tv, we read bits on the internet and what pops up on social media but nothing else. 

there’s so many assumptions in life about our jobs, hobbies, the books we read, the films we watch etc but I don’t think all these things compute into what we wear or how we have a dinner conversation while we are on a cruise. My husband owns three time’s more trainers than I have shoes but we still try and dress as we should while

on board. 

But it would be very boring if we were all the same! 

15 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Couple of comments on threads over the last week or two especially about class levels on p&o it got me wondering about what everyone does for a living 

I am probably bottom in class 🤔 maybe middle- is it the amount you earn that determines this? 

I work in a call centre. I’m a sales advisor and I work for a very big well known company. Have been there 11 years now. I’ve done many things in there, sales, piloting new systems, working for a different company under our company umbrella, complaints, fixing system issues and since having the kids back to sales. 

my husband worked for a big British industry for 12 years as an electrical engineer. He is now with a big name brand company,one that everyone one knows the name of but always gets what they actually do completely wrong. He is a maintenance engineer now mainly working with robots. 

I know certain people rave about the newspapers they read etc but we don’t watch the news, we don’t even have live tv, we read bits on the internet and what pops up on social media but nothing else. 

there’s so many assumptions in life about our jobs, hobbies, the books we read, the films we watch etc but I don’t think all these things compute into what we wear or how we have a dinner conversation while we are on a cruise. My husband owns three time’s more trainers than I have shoes but we still try and dress as we should while

on board. 

Why worry about what people do for a living, Just relax  and enjoy peoples company.

4 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Why worry about what people do for a living, Just relax  and enjoy peoples company.

Quite right, it's not important!

42 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

on board. 

Cruise ship Captain and part time airline pilot.

On cruises people often hand out business cards lol.

Just now, grapau27 said:

Cruise ship Captain and part time airline pilot.

seriously? You captain cruise ships. Wow. That’s kinda cool

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

seriously? You captain cruise ships. Wow. That’s kinda cool

Sorry just pulling your leg.

45 years in various sales roles.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry just pulling your leg.

45 years in various sales roles.

im not very good at recognising when people are winding me up 🤣

I was an IT professional for 34 years travelling extensively worldwide and gaining a vast experience of the intricacies of business travel. Left the so called ‘secure’ employment world of IT after experiencing my 3rd period of redundancy, changing career and training as a business travel consultant. I now work for a big name global business travel agency booking travel for others! Salary has been halved but we have cut our cloth accordingly as work life balance is more important than earning a large salary and working all hours, 7 days a week. 

Edited by peteukmcr

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Guilty of doing that lol, but I am spreading the word about Militay Wives Choirs, never miss an opportunity to promote this essential charity for Military Wives. 

Why worry about other passengers work at ?  There are so many different people cruising that the diversity of work is endless.  My OH was an engineer and I travelled the world working on various projects for a large multi-national company.  We are both happy to be retired and enjoying spending our time together because we feel that when were younger family and work pressures meant that we didn't spend enough "just us" time.

We have met some truly interesting people on ships from a retired vicar who was so funny that he could have been a professional comedian to a cargo ship captain whose wife told us that he had to go on cruises to make up to her for being away at sea for months on end.

I like this thread. 

I say it's because I am interested in peoples stories, Michelle just says I'm a nosey git... 😊

Andy 

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I like this thread. 

I say it's because I am interested in peoples stories, Michelle just says I'm a nosey git... 😊

Andy 

what do you do then Andy? And also Michelle. 

btw I think she’s right 😂

16 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

what do you do then Andy? And also Michelle. 

btw I think she’s right 😂

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

I have a flooring business, Michelle is retired because of her health. 

And yes, she is right... 

Andy 

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

I have a flooring business, Michelle is retired because of her health. 

And yes, she is right... 

Andy 

I get the feeling she right a lot of the time’s! 
Most jobs aren’t exciting just good hard graft

Long retired from education... but looking at my latest passport picture, I think I'm dead already! 🤣😨😇

Ex - Royal Navy Artificer, now factory technician/maintenance. Wife is a customer Advisor whose parents cruised and she talked me into it....Hopefully will be able to cruise for another 30 years or so although not every year currently...maybe when I retire. My boy, now 5, has managed 3 cruises so far and loves it

I was a Plumber for 20 years, I am now a Data Scientist.

My wife was an Economist and was so good at it, she retired at 49, some years ago.

Gas fitter/plumber/heating engineer from 1968-2013 when I retired aged 60.Born upper class cos we lived on the 20th floor in a council flat when I was a baby.

I worked in Pharmaceuticals for over 30 years before retiring 3 years ago to take up cruising. My partner was a florist and then nursery nurse before retiring with me.