London Hotel - down to 3 choices

MSPCUBS

Hi,

I'll be in London for 2 full days, pre-cruise in September.  I have narrowed down my hotels to:

Premier Inn Victoria

Staybridge Suites London Vauxhall

Hampton Inn London Waterloo

While in London, we want to see:  Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, London Eye, HOHO bus, and other places, time permitting.  I know all of these hotels have a tube station close by and prices are similar. 

What I am looking for is if there is a good reason to choose one of these over the others. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you!

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Waterloo three years ago because we planned to take the train to Southampton from Waterloo station. At that time, it had been recently remodeled/reopened, and the rates were very reasonable for London. The hotel was great, clean and comfortable, and a five minute walk from Waterloo station. It’s also about 10-15 minutes to the river. The London Eye was very close, as well as the pedestrian bride over the Thames. At that time, the closest stop on the Hop onHop Off bus stop was at Westminster Bridge, also about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. We walked everywhere, but you can easily get the tube from Waterloo. We weren’t right in the middle of the London sites, but we weren’t that far away, either. We’d happily stay there again.

Premier Inn  Victoria, stayed there twice and are booked again for March.

If you want a clean, no frills hotel, at a very reasonable price for London - it fits the bill.

We book it mainly for the price and because, traveling light, we can take the tube from Heathrow.

BUT, they're "remodeling" now, so check if they'll still "remodel" on your dates. I was able to cancel and book again, saving 62 pounds on a 2 nights stay.

Just as Globaliser says, I too would eliminate Staybridge Suites London Vauxhall on the basis of location if nothing else.

For me, it would more or less be a tossup between the two other hotels.

Friends from NYC stayed at the Hampton Inn by London Waterloo a few years ago, prior to a Cunard transatlantic crossing.  They were quite satisfied with the hotel and recommended it to me for a future visit.  Although I favor other areas of London--the location is a bit out of the way--this hotel does give you easy access into central London, as it is on a number of bus routes that will take you directly into the heart of London in a few minutes.  Moreover, this hotel is only 5 minutes' walk from Waterloo Station (assuming you are taking the train to Southampton). If the price is right, I don't see any real negatives here.

Premier Inn is Britain's premier budget hotel chain, known for value, consistency, cleanliness, and comfort.  In fact, Premier Inn is to the UK what Hampton Inns & Suites and Holiday Inn are to the US.  I've stayed at several different PIs in London (and elsewhere in the UK), though not at the Victoria location, and my experiences have all been positive.  Interior decor (a predominance of purple!), room layout, and amenities are virtually identical.  If you don't expect (and don't want or need) the last word in luxury, but rather a clean, comfortable place to lay your head at night, you should be happy with this choice.  (There are a half-dozen or so other Premier Inns in London whose locations I would prefer to Victoria:  Blackfriars, Holborn, Euston, St Pancras, County Hall, Waterloo, Smithfield/Farringdon...  But that is strictly a personal choice, not a negative comment on the PI Victoria.) 

Edited by Post Captain

I haven't stayed in the Hampton Inn Waterloo, but I've stayed in a number of Waterloo area hotels, as our UK office was in the area, and generally I was coming/going to Southampton as well.   My recommendation is stay at the Fullers Pubs; The Wellington or Mad Hatter.

https://www.wellingtonhotelwaterloo.co.uk/

https://www.madhatterhotel.co.uk/

The MH is a little higher end, nice complimentary mini-bar, slightly larger rooms, and the floors are served with an elevator.  The Wellington will involve stairs (there is no elevator), and has small rooms. Most importantly they were both very clean and comfortable.  OK, maybe most importantly was the availability of Fuller's Ale, right downstairs.

Wellington is basically across the street from Waterloo station, and while the MH is further from Waterloo, it's great for access to Blackfriars station (trains to Gatwick, Central/District Tube), and only a 10 min walk to Waterloo (we did it with luggage).

I've also stayed at the Ibis and Novotel on Blackfriars; and they were pretty generic and soulless.

Hopefully that's helpful

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Waterloo for several nights pre-cruise a little over a year ago, and liked it. It was very comfortable, much nicer than Hampton Inns in the U.S. (and with a better breakfast, too). It's a short walk to the Waterloo Tube and rail stations.   And we walked from the hotel not only to the London Eye but also to Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. 

There's a fabulous Indian restaurant called The Thames just opposite the Waterloo Tube station.  We had a wonderful dinner there.  (It's small, make a reservation!)

I haven't stayed at the two other hotels, so can't compare them. 

Edited by Turtles06

I agree about the hotel in Vauxhall being farther away from the places you'll want to see. We stayed at the H10 in Waterloo a couple of years ago, which is just a few blocks away from the Hampton Inn. I thought it was a good location for the price. We walked to the Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, and across the Millennium Bridge. We took the Tube to see shows in theaters near Leicester Square and to the Churchill War Room.