Cruise ship to Athens

SandyR5

Hi - Suggestions for getting into the center of Athens from the cruise ship would be most welcome. I am looking at some private tours that meet near the Acropolis and was wondering about the best way to get there. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

No. We are planning on taking the subway.

Tell me more. ☺️  What stop do you get off?  I assume a subway would be a quick way to go...at least it is in NYC. 

Having been to Athens a few times we've used taxi, metro and bus to get from Piraeus to the centre of Athens. In our experience the quickest way is via taxi. There are taxi's waiting outside the cruise terminal building and can take you directly to the entrance of the Acropolis. Last time we were there was two years ago and we paid 30 Euros for 4 people.

The regular city bus leaves from just outside the cruise terminal building ( as do the HOHO buses ) but you'll have an uphill walk to the Acropolis when you get to Athens. The metro ( subway ) will be the slowest way to get to the Acropolis as you'll first have to walk for about 25 minutes from the cruise ship to the metro station - trust me, we've done it and it's not a pleasant walk in the summer heat.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:46 PM, JimmyTheSaint said:

Having been to Athens a few times we've used taxi, metro and bus to get from Piraeus to the centre of Athens. In our experience the quickest way is via taxi. There are taxi's waiting outside the cruise terminal building and can take you directly to the entrance of the Acropolis. Last time we were there was two years ago and we paid 30 Euros for 4 people.

The regular city bus leaves from just outside the cruise terminal building ( as do the HOHO buses ) but you'll have an uphill walk to the Acropolis when you get to Athens. The metro ( subway ) will be the slowest way to get to the Acropolis as you'll first have to walk for about 25 minutes from the cruise ship to the metro station - trust me, we've done it and it's not a pleasant walk in the summer heat.

Agree 100% with this. Take a taxi if getting to the Acropolis early/first is primary wish.  The HOHO is also a good option; better than the metro which requires a long walk or an additional bus ride.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:31 PM, CruiserBruce said:

No. We are planning on taking the subway.

Just so you are aware. Depending on what dock you port in - it will be at least 30-45 minute to walk to the metro station. We are young and fast walkers too. We did this a few months ago and would never walk it again. It looks simple on a map but Athens is one of the largest ports in the world. Station is right next to the port but its still a hike. We were on the Edge and at one of the outermost docks. I agree with others to take a taxi.

Edited by XuGator

Yea, take a taxi to the acropoli.

Walk outside to the street and grab a taxi out there.  I think I got there for 15 or 20E, and the driver was able to go through alleys and stuff, and drop us off by the Plaka, where we got coffee first.  The entrance that the taxi drops you off at is also not the tour bus one, which makes it quicker.

You can take an Uber back....that is if they still have it.  i went 3 years ago.

I read somewhere that Athens is occasionally affected by random public transit strikes.  They just had one this past week...   Apparently, they announce the strike a few days in advance?

Edited by mpk

We will be there in May again and wish not to go on a tour to the acropolis because we feel we would wander around and see more on our own. I have seen somewhere that a taxi would be 54 E. Did you split the cost with someone else . We would probably going alone. And after the acropolis we might want to go to Plaka again. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Preacherman46 said:

We will be there in May again and wish not to go on a tour to the acropolis because we feel we would wander around and see more on our own. I have seen somewhere that a taxi would be 54 E. Did you split the cost with someone else . We would probably going alone. And after the acropolis we might want to go to Plaka again. Thanks

It should not be as much as 54 euros. Just two years ago the going rate was 25-30 euros for a taxi for up to 4 people. (That cost is for one way, of course, not round-trip.)

Edited by cruisemom42

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It should not be as much as 54 euros. Just two years ago the going rate was 25-30 euros for a taxi for up to 4 people. (That cost is for one way, of course, not round-trip.)

Thank you Cruise Mom! We have felt that it's worth it to go at our own pace. This may be our last chance to go. Health, etc. We can always count on you for wonderful info!

The picture below was taken from the X80 bus stop that would take you back to Piraeus.  So when you took the bus at Piraeus coming to Athens, you will be dropped off where the 3 flag poles are.  Just walked across the street at the traffic light and you will see the pedestrian-friendly area.

20190813_131331.thumb.jpg.71784327380dd0d689c78e227fd5e7e7.jpg

This is the "entrance" to the pedestrian-friendly area that goes to The Acropolis.  Just follow the sign, or simply follow the crowd as everyone is going to the same place basically.

20190813_131219.thumb.jpg.f9124f8ff8abe417467d96d4027ec0ab.jpg

Then after "some" walking and lots of sweating (we went in the middle of August) ...

20190813_104608.thumb.jpg.48ee3745234b1c541a84eeca8ae91668.jpg

20190813_105713.thumb.jpg.daac23182103f814b15a04f43764edae.jpg

20190813_110357.thumb.jpg.09c39dd6b814a6aae3bee0ddada100b7.jpg