Caution when using credit cards!

bhague

We recently stopped in Belize for the first time on Rhapsody of the Seas (departed Tampa 1/25/2020). We used a credit card to buy souvenirs at the Jungle Shop and to have lunch at the Wet Lizard, both in the port area. Someone from one of those establishments used our card info and my name to book a hotel room (nearly $500) for the weekend after the cruise at a resort in Belize. That's the only port where we used that card, and I'm very cautious about keeping my cards and data secure. I use travel cards for the points, but I won't use anything but cash when in port from now on. People know you're on a cruise and won't be back in their country anytime soon, and they assume it's too hard to prosecute across borders. Fortunately I caught it right away and initiated a dispute, so the charge will go away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the warning.  Hoping your CC company doesn't let the charges go through.  Have never heard of anyone eating or drinking at the Wet Lizard getting hit with charges.  Doesn't mean it can't happen. Have never bought anything at the Jungle Shop.  Our Belize souvenirs usually come from the crafts market across the street and that's cash only.

Cash is always a preferred option at any port. 

You can get cash from the cruise ship if you need it.  There have been many reports of cruisers trying to get cash from ATMs at ports and getting scammed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...