Time enough

Cricket551

Hello!  I have a question for anyone that has done the 7 day San Juan cruise! On Sunday after the cruise our flight time is 4:10pm. I was thinking we should leave old San Juan area no later than 2pm.  Google map suggests it takes about 15 minutes to get to the airport. I'm giving us 30 minutes or so, expecting to arrive about 2:30, which gives us 1 hour and 40 minutes to get through customs and to our gate! Does this sound reasonable? Should I allow more time? We have never flown in or out of San Juan so just not sure what to expect there! I don't want to cut anything to close!

I figured we would get off the ship (check our bags at one of the places Ive read will keep them) and walk around a bit, maybe grab some lunch.  IDK just don't want to sit at the airport all day if we don't have to!

Thanks for any replies! I understand everyone's experience is unique, Just curious what others did in similar situations! 

1 hour ago, Cricket551 said:

Hello!  I have a question for anyone that has done the 7 day San Juan cruise! On Sunday after the cruise our flight time is 4:10pm. I was thinking we should leave old San Juan area no later than 2pm.  Google map suggests it takes about 15 minutes to get to the airport. I'm giving us 30 minutes or so, expecting to arrive about 2:30, which gives us 1 hour and 40 minutes to get through customs and to our gate! Does this sound reasonable? Should I allow more time? We have never flown in or out of San Juan so just not sure what to expect there! I don't want to cut anything to close!

I figured we would get off the ship (check our bags at one of the places Ive read will keep them) and walk around a bit, maybe grab some lunch.  IDK just don't want to sit at the airport all day if we don't have to!

Thanks for any replies! I understand everyone's experience is unique, Just curious what others did in similar situations! 

Hi Cricket,  2 hours should be enough time at the airport. They do not have curbside check-in at SJU.  You must take your bags inside the terminal and go through the agricultural check point.  They simply scan your bags like they do on the cruise ships to make sure you are not trying to bring home any fruit, etc.   After the agricultural check, you can go check any bags you don't want to carry on.  Depending on how many ships are disembarking on that Sunday, the line for bag check might be the longest line you encounter.  We have flown out of SJU many times and allow around 2 hours each time.  On Sunday SJU can get very crowded with arriving and departing flights, but we have had no problems with allowing the 2 hour time. 

Enjoy your time in San Juan and your cruise.  We are leaving two weeks from today for our cruise out of San Juan.  We can't wait!!

• Thanks 1