Jeans and button up allowed for dress up night on Harmony?

kathy884

Packing light and DH wondered if he could get away with just wearing jeans on formal nights with a button up.  Or would you recommend throwing in a pair of dockers and dressier shoes?  Thanks so much.  We are packing for flight tomorrow, two nights in Orlando, and a cruise Sunday on the Harmony of the Seas.  Can't wait.

You certainly don’t need to worry about “dressier shoes”.   Just shoes of any kind. 

At this point, I don’t know why any one (A previous poster) thinks they need to stay away from the MDR because they are not dressed up. There is no enforced dress code. If you want to enjoy the dining room, no problem. 

We are a little more “old-school”  or maybe just old, and like to dress a bit for dinner. We each take one medium-size suitcase (Regardless if we fly or drive ) and have no problem packing a cocktail dress or sport jacket. Casual nights for us  is slacks and polo type shirt for my husband and a sundress or slacks and a sweater or top for me.  What we were on casual night is often much dressier than what  many wear on formal night.  That is fine with me. Dressing up is our choice. 

m

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

My formal night attire.   And the only thing I wore. Shorts and button ups.  Relax your on vacation.  

F15BDD32-E024-4577-BFC2-DD23F10A7188.jpeg

I find it interesting that you mention that on the other nights you were shorts and a button up shirt, but on formal night you chose to wear a T-shirt!  T-shirts are actually fine, but the design does not make it anything other than a T-shirt

This kind of shirt has been around for at least 50 years. Every now and then, one pops up on board s ship. 

M

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I find it interesting that you mention that on the other nights you were shorts and a button up shirt, but on formal night you chose to wear a T-shirt!  T-shirts are actually fine, but the design does not make it anything other than a T-shirt

This kind of shirt has been around for at least 50 years. Every now and then, one pops up on board s ship. 

M

If they made a button up in the design of the T-shirt tux shirt I’d have gotten that.  And good eye. It is still a T-shirt.   
just proves even more how relaxed the dress code has gotten.  

and I’ve been around 57 years.  And never owned one till now and got compliments all night in the dinning room and out on deck 5 walking around to all the bars and shops.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

It's amazing to me that people can't get dressed up one night in their life and look their best.  I guess if that's what you'd look like at someone's wedding or a special social affair then by all means where your everyday look.  It's one night folks!!  Who knows, maybe you'll like it. 

Ok, I'm ready.  Give me all your snarly backlash!  I can take it.  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nangelina said:

It's amazing to me that people can't get dressed up one night in their life and look their best.  I guess if that's what you'd look like at someone's wedding or a special social affair then by all means where your everyday look.  It's one night folks!!  Who knows, maybe you'll like it. 

My sentiments exactly!  We were on Harmony last month and very few people wore casual clothes on formal nights.  It was nice to see so many people looking their best and enjoying themselves.

I might add:  it was also nice seeing so many young people all decked out in their finest and having a great time (even the young ladies who were still learning to balance on super high heels....LOL).

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

If they made a button up in the design of the T-shirt tux shirt I’d have gotten that.  And good eye. It is still a T-shirt.   
just proves even more how relaxed the dress code has gotten.  

and I’ve been around 57 years.  And never owned one till now and got compliments all night in the dinning room and out on deck 5 walking around to all the bars and shops.  

Most of the people who wear  that shirt like the kind of attention it gets.

And, yes you are correct. Obviously  formal night can now mean shorts and T-shirts.

We prefer to dress up and still do. No rule against it!  Even though we often have to fly to port, we still seem to have ample suitcase space for a dress or a pair of slacks. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Most of the people who wear  that shirt like the kind of attention it gets.

And, yes you are correct. Obviously  formal night can now mean shorts and T-shirts.

We prefer to dress up and still do. No rule against it!  Even though we often have to fly to port, we still seem to have ample suitcase space for a dress or a pair of slacks. 

M

Maybe you should stop throwing jabs at me on every post.   
the question the op asked was is it ok the wear jeans.   And my post was even shorts and a T-shirt is ok.    

so move along and Grow up.   

drees how ever you want.  People don’t care.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I wouldn't wear jeans on formal night out of respect.....but there are many places on the ship that you can go instead. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Out of respect for who? 

I guess themself. ???   People really need to realize the times have changed.  
if you want to wear casual wear go for it. Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Your on vacation.  The MDR staff could care less as long as your enjoying yourself.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Jeans can be a bit "heavy" if packing light.  Chinos might be a "lighter" choice.  But even if they turn you away from MDR, there are plenty of spots to eat at.

You won’t be turned away anymore as the codes have changed a lot these days.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Out of respect for who? 

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

if you want to wear casual wear go for it. Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Your on vacation.  The MDR staff could care less as long as your enjoying yourself.  

IMG_4966.MOV

If you are sitting at a table for 10 and everyone but you dresses up, and you show up in Jeans, or worse yet, shorts and a t-shirt, that would fall under the definition of being disrespectful.  Times haven't changed, and acting certain ways, dressing certain ways, and having manners all still exist for the majority.  Every person you meet, will make a judgement about you, and too many people, they really don't care.  But to others, it will be noticed.  I believe the majority will notice.  So respecting the dress for the evening is still part of cruises.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

If you are sitting at a table for 10 and everyone but you dresses up, and you show up in Jeans, or worse yet, shorts and a t-shirt, that would fall under the definition of being disrespectful.  Times haven't changed, and acting certain ways, dressing certain ways, and having manners all still exist for the majority.  Every person you meet, will make a judgement about you, and too many people, they really don't care.  But to others, it will be noticed.  I believe the majority will notice.  So respecting the dress for the evening is still part of cruises.

Lolol that’s funny. 

I walked around to a few tables during formal night and complimented a few people on their formal wear.    Everyone of them complemented me. Saying they kinda wished they had worn what I did. Lol 

I went to a generals table with his son a Gunny in the marines and shook his hand and thanked them for their service. And the entire table enjoyed my formal wear. Lol. 

I have more manners in my little finger than a person trying to dictate a way to dress.   So move on.  

had many compliments all night long. So your comment up is mute     
Even the head waiter complimented me.   Lol.  Yasser.  

we had 3 tables 25 people and most all were dressed nice.    
pour tables were 500 501 502. Right in front of the entrance. 
and every guy wished they had my shirt as well.  So again your comment is mute. 

wear what you feel comfortable in. 

so if your on the HOS floor4 5.00 dinning. Ask Yasser how my attire was.  

again times have changed.    Formal night is an option if you want to go formal. Have at it and enjoy yourself.    
but don’t disrespect someone that wears what they want to feel comfortable on their vacation that they paid just as much as you did.  

Actually I paid more as a solo traveler.  

So enjoy yourself and stop criticizing people for their attire.  And worry about yourself 

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, kathy884 said:

Packing light and DH wondered if he could get away with just wearing jeans on formal nights with a button up.  Or would you recommend throwing in a pair of dockers and dressier shoes?  Thanks so much.  We are packing for flight tomorrow, two nights in Orlando, and a cruise Sunday on the Harmony of the Seas.  Can't wait.

Sorry your question got attacked by haters and rude mannerless ,disrespectful posters.  
Dress how you feel and enjoy your cruise that’s what matters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nangelina said:

I look good in jeans.  Really good.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

IMG_4966.MOV

Believe me I'm not judging anyone based on what they wear. I could care less. Only the staffs opinion matters IMO.